Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Apsll -Top ten currently Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 8:23:42 AM

These ten stocks have all passed various testing methodes and I suggest keeping them all on a watchlist. Today the pre-market futures are up, but my power scans are low. That usually means a strong open (and a chance for quck profits), but an ambiguous tradng day.

SATC
UQM
ONT
BLDP
DIET
SEED
GRRF
NANX
ABPI
TSTC

I like BLDP because this is an old friend of Scott and I. We both have traded this one before. here is a chart for BLDP.

Good luck.

Apsll.
Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 8:24:41 AM

PS: would love to read any and all feedback on thee 10 picks...
moakhavi
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:06:00 AM

I watched NANX ever since Scott recommended it. I sold yesterday @ 4.45 planning to buy when it pulls back.
Ilike TSP, MS, BOP, MACDH on multiple time frame, Most of all Volume is there. 
I checked the MG130 in comparison, but I can't say anything, please let me know your analysis when you check RS:MG130.
Thank you Apsll . I have learned a lot from you. 
Moe

ponchomike
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:16:27 AM

I bought SEED back in late November, along with several other Chinese plays (CBAK, LDK, ZNH, WX, MR, and EJ).  I bought these for long term holds, not as trading stocks.  They've been very volatile lately.

SEED is a Chinese agriculture company that is involved in the R & D of crop seeds.  There's a lot of people to feed over there.  It spiked as high as $15 back in October.

CBAK is a Chinese battery company, LDK is solar, ZNH is a Chinese airline,  WX is a Chinese Pharmaceutical, MR is a Chinese medical device company, and EJ is Chinese real estate.  I've also owned CMED since this spring.

Mike

laphill
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:20:02 AM
Bought SEED on monday. It should do well if it can climb past the 200DMA.
scottnlena
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:21:38 AM

I"m cash for the change over at the end of year.  Just easier book keeping for MTM accounting.  I'll be cleaning some watchlists.  I need to decide if I'm becoming pack ratish or if things are improving as my nightly check list is now over 60... I try not to let it get over 40.  atempts to cull it yesterday took out 2.  some were marginal so I gave them 3 more days to shape up or they get moved to the short watchlist.

These looking interesting though.  NANX I'm also awaiting reentry on .  I might add that it displayed a joint signal right before this big candle.  However it didn't come up on my scan because the diceman version I use was not right.  That dosen't mean there may not be a good move.  It means that if there is a good move it's likely to be coming from decent suport and has higher probabilities of being sustainable.  I see this as a bounce here.  i delisted it after the gap down.  I'll give it a few months and see how it goes.
scottnlena
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:27:40 AM

PonchoMike:

Careful on loading up on so much China stuff.  their market is experiencing something similar to what we expierenced in the late 90's.  There could be some "Irrational Exuberance" going on over there.

Not trying to scare you or deter you from your risk models and trading plan .... just thought I'd say.  If there is a colapse it could be difficult to get out cleanly.

IMO "Long Term" and China stocks don't belong in the same sentence, unless long terme for you is shortly after the olympics.

Just MO.

Good luck 
Scott.
ponchomike
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:37:48 AM

I've got about 25% of my portfolio in the Chinese stocks listed above.  

I buy with long term in mind, but I also set my stop losses as a percentage of price.  I normally set my stop losses at 10% once I buy in.  Once I become profitable in a stock, sometimes I'll bump the stop loss up to 15%.  If the market looks shaky, I will reduce my stop loss percentage.

I got burnt in the tech crash by holding a couple of tech stocks without stop losses.   I won't do that again.

Mike
Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:43:52 AM

Moe, you can just use RS-Industry instead of using the actual ticker for the industry (up to you) but I do not use Relitive strength for a declining stock. It is anti-productive and will not tell you anything exept that the stock is under performing the industry. We already know this just by the fact that the stock is declining. 

In this case I am using volume indicators to let me know that although price is at the bottom, the indicators are starting to show some life, or activity. Now I can watch it on my real-time streaming qoutes and see if ther is a surge in the price and volume, then I can jump abord.

I alredy jumed onto TSTC $6.60 just as it bounced off the bottom of filling the gap. I will sell soon. I have posted in a few threads that when these conditions are in place it is a good environment to take quick profits. 

Good luck. I have to keep an eye on the quotes so I will check back in latter..

Apsll.
diceman
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 11:00:02 AM
 "Careful on loading up on so much China stuff."
""Long Term" and China stocks don't belong in the same sentence,"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You trying to say SEED will be for the birds. if China corrects?

(sorry couldn't resist the pun)

Thanks
diceman
djr311
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 11:18:10 AM
'Now I can watch it on my real-time streaming qoutes and see if ther is a surge in the price and volume'

Apsll, could I ask which product you use?  I am trying to put a plan together.

Thanks.
Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 11:44:30 AM

I use E-Trade.

Sold TSTC at $7.10 and bought ABPI at$3.00
djr311
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 12:08:39 PM
Thanks.

I have been reading all the posts and trying to put a 'strategy' together.  I am still paper trading.

TSTC was a good choice.  Could you elaborate a little more as to how you picked it.  

When I look at the chart from 12/26, I see nothing.  On 12/27 there is a volume increase and a huge price increase.  Then 12/28 the volume is back down but price is still up.  

What should I be looking for? 
Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 12:21:31 PM

Just sold ABPI, the Markets are turning now so I had my fun. Only made four hundred (give or take) between TSTC and ABPI

Djr311, I just sorted a watchlist by this percent true indicator last night -

(c>o)and(c>(c1*1.05))and(c>avgh5)and(v>(v1*1.05))andOBV > XAVG(OBV,40)

Came up with the best that I liked. My power scans were very low last night so when I checked the pre-market futures this morning, and they were positive I knew that this was going to be a good morning for quick profits.. I have discussed this theory and the above formula in many different threads. I will leave it to you to do the research.

Good luck

Apsll.

scottnlena
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 12:35:00 PM

diceman 

Nice pun.. for the record I don't consider my self smart enough to say this stock or that stock is gonna crash hard.  I just think that china is pretty risky right now... but risk is where the money is I guess.  I'm no economist but there has been allot of "China this" "China that" bandied about.  The sudden drop back in Feb would be warning sign to me that that market can drop fast if it wan'ts to.
djr311
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 12:39:04 PM
Apsll

Thanks again.

Trying to gather enough information to be able to ask an intelligent question.

Four hundred is not bad.  Now go play golf the rest of the day.
Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 12:55:34 PM

Djr311, up here in New England we hav a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Ice hockey would be more appropriate I think.  $400 is not a lot for my portfolio I just love it when these Market conditions come together for a quick morning of fun. I would rather that the markets be trending, but this is all I can do for now.

Scott just some advice from one technical trader to the next. I know nothing about what is going on in China, Singapore, Korea or the Netherlands. I just trust the charts for short term plays. Stop overthinking your trading and play the bounces in this type of Market (IMO)

Apsll.

Booker
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 1:17:35 PM
Apsll, not to be butting in but in these down trending markets have you considered the ultrashort ETF's such as QID, SDS, DXD, and Mzz? If you look at the last chart that David posted on QID, it is bouncing in a channel and is easy picking. They trade just like a stock.
Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 1:31:14 PM

Booker, I wish that you would butt in a little more. Is there not an extra fee for trading ETF's? can I just buy and sell, pay my comision and that is the end of it (Not including taxes of course). I do not want to change what I am already comfortable with doing. Diceman preaches that one should never be complacent and always trying to change and up-grade there trading styles. 

My rate of change is slow (if you were to apply a rate of change indicator to my methodes, I am afraid that there would not be much movement). 
Booker
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 1:40:13 PM
"Is there not an extra fee for trading ETF's? can I just buy and sell, pay my comision and that is the end of it (Not including taxes of course). "

absolutly, you buy and sell them just like you would a stock. You use the same trading style you are using now.
ponchomike
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 2:00:37 PM

Here are some of the ETFs I watch, some I own in IRAs:

EFA
EFV
VWO
EEM
EWY
EWZ
EWW
FXI
EZA
EWM
EZA
TF
TTF
FXI

You trade them just like stocks.  They cover Asia, Africa, Brazil, China, Korea, etc.  You can get ETF funds that hold growth stocks, others hold value stocks.  There are a bunch of ETFs.

Mike

Mike
driger
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 2:13:16 PM

Are these suppose to be potential daytrades or setups for the intermediate term?

QUOTE (Apsll)
These ten stocks have all passed various testing methodes and I suggest keeping them all on a watchlist. Today the pre-market futures are up, but my power scans are low. That usually means a strong open (and a chance for quck profits), but an ambiguous tradng day.

SATC

UQM

ONT

BLDP

DIET

SEED

GRRF

NANX

ABPI

TSTC

I like BLDP because this is an old friend of Scott and I. We both have traded this one before. here is a chart for BLDP.

Good luck.

Apsll.

Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 2:33:08 PM

The scan that theses poped up on was designed to uncover Volume anomalies in a rising OBV and in some cases a rising TSV environment, for short term or day trading. (depending on my power scan numbers and the pre-market futures numbers). However there are some like -

BLDP
DIET
SATC
ABPI

That also look good to me for an intermediate time frame as well.
diceman
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 3:43:41 PM
"Is there not an extra fee for trading ETF's?"
----------------------------------------------------

There is a fee for the management of the ETF but for
the most part it is like mutual funds (invisible to the user)

Certainly not anything that should keep a trader away.

If the ETF charges something like .25% a year.

They may take .02% every month or .06% every quarter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most websites that track ETF's will typically indicate its expense.

Thanks
diceman

Apsll
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 3:55:51 PM

Thanks Booker, Poncho, and Dice. I will just stick to my caveman landscape, so far the wheel is still serving its purpose.

Diceman, what is you take on the Markets right now? I know that you are not the type to over-think things, but do they look kind of toppy, taking a break, heading for higher ground. or are you just taking it as it comes one day at a time.

I suspect that the later is true...
gtfo501must talk to HBW
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 7:59:45 PM
Apsil, hello. I am new to this forum but you seem to know your stuff like a few others. First of all, I like all your picks more or less.. I tested all ten, many of which are names that came up in previous scans of mine.SATC and UQM really do nothing for me. BLDP and TSTC are old names from the summer that will trend upwards but rather slowly for me. GRRF looks like a trade to 9.50. ABPI, if I had any money, I would buy on a pullback to 2.60.  I am getting a sell or short signal on DIET. It may short-term go slightly higher but should go back down to 4.75 or so. That leaves ONT, SEED, and NANX. All three have good patterns. SEED should make it to 8.40 and then stall. I love the pattern of NANX, but its a little too late  according to my hmw pattern that shows it from $3 to $4.60- its now $4.28 as of today. By far the best pick is ONT, which should go up about 70% here to 1.75 or 1.80 or so in 1 to 2 months. Please let me know what you think. Again, I am new to this chatroom and am a paper trader. I give my friends my own picks only but hope to trade vigorously when and if I can ever save any money. My top picks are GGBM and BHIP, since I mostly deal with stocks under $5.
diceman
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 8:14:19 PM
 "Diceman, what is you take on the Markets right now?"
----------------------------------------------------------

The markets getting like real-estate.

The most important thing will be
location, location, location.

Thanks
diceman
djr311
Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:34:45 PM
All, this is my first attempt to do what the 'big guys' do.  Some of the details I still don't understand but I had to start somewhere.  Here is what I came up with for my ('your') scans.

I initially came up with 12 stocks which I pared down to 8.  Of the 8 here is what I see.

These look really good: WEL, ABPI, and TLV.

These are close:  SVN and BLDP

These still didn't make it: SVA, TSTC, and OPMR

Am I close????????????  Am I far away?????????????

As always, I thank you all for your help and comments. 
Apsll
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:51:35 AM

Gtfo501, I would be interested in your data that shows DIET as a short candidate. I have read your post from above and it is clear that you and I have different ways of looking at things (Neither of us is right or wrong).

Djr311, I like all your picks, it looks like you are on the right track (IMO), althoght for the short term it looks like SVN might stall for a while at the resistance level thit it has currently reached, I would keep an eye on it and use caution.

Apsll
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:57:49 AM

By the way I am Apsll. Not apsil or apesol. (you can call me ray, but just do not call me jay)

How many here are old enough to remember that one?

djr311
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:15:38 AM
Thanks...........

(TLV should have been TLCV.)
jwnewsom
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:25:51 AM
Unfortunately I am old enough to remember Ray-Jay
Apsll
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:39:57 AM

Djr311, You have the right idea as to how to find these patterns, now you have to learn how to play them. Always look for the nearest resistance level. Measure the distance in $$ between current price and that resistance level, because you might have to sell or exit at that level. If you can buy enough shares to make a good profit then do it. In my following chart I will show what I mean.

Apsll
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:41:11 AM

Apsll
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:46:08 AM

You see what I mean that would have been a 50% profit if played properly. This is only lesson #1. If you want me to then more will follow.

This is just my bounce strategy, I have many other strategies that work well for me. In this type of Market condition I find that this system works well.

Good luck

Apsll.
bcraig73450
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:27:58 PM

I seem to remember that goes

“You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay but you doesn’t have to call me Johnson.”

djr311
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:43:28 PM
Thanks again.  Keep the lessons coming. I will welcome each one.  I am beginning to put some of the pieces into place.  

Do I understand from the chart above that, after your scans/sorts, what you are looking at is 1) resistance/support, 2) good indicators (bop and tsv) and 3) good volume?  

Could I assume that SNV will now slow at the resistance level even though the indicators and volume are still good? 

Apsll
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:37:51 PM

Bcraig, that is it, you got it right. That was a long time ago. If only I knew then about stocks what I know now, then I would not care what you called me.. 

Dj, In most cases when price reaches a support or resistance level then it is a time of decision. In the case of SVN it is at that point. Here is what I would do knowing that I have already made a 50% profit. I would sell all my shares at the open. you might want to monitor the pre markets in case of a sell off. My power scans are showing some very low numbers right now (and that is not good). Then I would wait to see if price consolidates, pulls back or continues on. If the Volume is very strong then I would jump back on with half my profits that I have already made. If price consolidates then watch for a new entry, if price pulls back then you will have to do a new analysis every day to decide your next move. This could be the begining of a nice bottom formation or this could be the launchpad that sends this thing into outer-space, one never knows. Keep a log of what happens so you can reference it when you see this type of formation again.

Some days I will just pick a successfull stock and scroll back to its bottom formation and slowly go foward one day at a time to see how my indicators were reacting. After doing that for a long time then you begin to develop a six sense for reading chart patterns...

Look at some stock charts and notice what happens when price comes up or down to these resistance or support levels. You will see that most of the time there is a pause before the move...

All just my opinions.

Apsll.
Booker
Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:59:00 PM
"Bcraig, that is it, you got it right. That was a long time ago. "

Hmmm, that does not seem so long ago to me. Eary 70's maybe. Heck I remember watching black and white tv.
Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:02:28 PM

SATC up 7.3%