Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: ponchomike
About
User Name: ponchomike
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 42
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Moving average convergence
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 12:01:13 AM
I've been watching the 50, 100, 150, and 200 day moving averages on the SP-500, and see all are converging.  For the most part, the moving averages are relatively flat going into the new year. I also see a symmetrical triangle forming.

I can't remember where, but I seem to remember that when the moving averages converge on an index like this, a big move is about to occur.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?  What about the direction of the move?

Mike
Topic: Who could see a 40 % retracement on the market soon?
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 7:33:22 AM
I kinda share Bill's sentiments. 

I've always heard that the market likes to climb walls of worry.  I guess it's true.

I personally can't see how the current market levels are justified.  The Dow and SP500 is near it's all-time high, but we have extremely high unemployment and debt crises at home and all around.  The only rationalization I can come up with is that much of the QE1 and QE2 money is inflating the stock market.

Keep your stop losses tight and pray.

Mike
Topic: PGH
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:30:29 PM

Just a little background on PGH.  

It was one of the Canroys, or Canadian Royalty Trusts.  They pay high dividends, typically around 7 - 9% annually.  Several years back, the Canadian government forced the Canroys to change from a trust to a corporation, and gave them four years to do it.  I don't know if PGH has converted yet, but the window for converting is about to close.

Most of the former Canroys have not seen share prices impact by changing corporate structure, but if you hold on the conversion date, it may be treated as a sale and repurchase.  AAV was treated that way last year when it converted.

As a new corporation, there are doubts by some analysts that these companies will be able to keep paying out high dividends.   There is a lot of speculation that these companies will be cutting dividends, which will affect share price.

I hold several, and I'm a little leary of adding to any of my positions right now.

Mike

Topic: Missing forum threads
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 7:57:03 PM
I had set up some stockfinder scans based on  a strategy discussed on the forum.  While playing around with the settings, I over-wrote the original layout.  When I went back to the forum to find the original thread, I got a server error.

The links are referenced in this thread, which I could find:

Topic: AVNR
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:04:02 AM

Merry Christmas All,

I've been away for awhile.  My dad is in his 80s and has been having a lot of health issues that have been keeping us busy.  I had unused vacation time I have to take, so I've been playing around with the SF and TC today and saw this post.

Has anybody tried create a scan using the Tobydad strategy?   I've tried but I'm having trouble with the LR30 values.

It's good to see you back, Tobydad.   Do you plan on posting any watch lists for the new year?

Mike

Topic: Indicator help
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:22:06 PM
I'm a little lost.  The instructions were written for Stockfinder 4.0.  I don't see a "Create Custom Index" option.  I'm also not looking to plot this as an indicator for use with a stock.  I want it to be a stand-alone indicator like T2107 and others.
Topic: Indicator help
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:22:52 PM

I would like some help setting up an indicator that will give me the numbers of new highs versus new lows in the market.  I've seen this referred to as the NH-NL Index in a newsletter, but I didn't see this in any of the Worden Indicators.

Can you help?

Topic: 30 period linear regression line
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:54:26 PM
I'm trying to write a combo condition that will look for divergences in price and TSV using a 30 period linear regression line.  The specific conditions I'm trying to find are:

I want the 30 bar linear regression line on price to be flat or moving down.  If I click on the 30 bar Linear Regression trendline and "Create Condition", then select "Moving Down", I see a blue bar that I can slide from "slowly" to Very Fast".  What is the blue telling me?  I want it to be flat to moving up quickly?  

I'm not sure what the other settings are for.  I assume the period is 30.  Should I set the Move period to 30 as well?

On my charts, I have a 30 bar linear regression trendline on price, and a second 30 bar linear regression trendline on TSV26.  Visually, I can identify charts where the price LR is flat or moving down, but the 30 bar LR on TSV is moving up.  

I know there is a Linear Regression slope indicator, but visually that doesn't work as well for me.

Mike

Topic: STEC
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:40:44 PM
Tobydad,

I really appreciate the watch list you posted in early December.  I've tried to set up my indicators as you've set them up and understand your selection and entry point on these stocks.

STEC was the only stock I purchased using criteria I've been using, getting in at about $14.60.  I'm holding it now.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Mike
Topic: Basic course in Telechart
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:35:03 PM
Tobydad,

Hello from a fellow gearhead.  My dad was a mechanic and I grew up working on cars in his garage.   I don't work on cars for a living, but I enjoy tinkering with my 60s & 70s toys.  I'm mostly into Pontiacs and Chevy/GMC trucks (although I'm pretty disappointed with GM right now).