Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Computer Systems for trading Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Rick17
Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:59:10 AM
Hi Bruce, This may not be the proper forum for this question so I apologize, but could you suggest or tell me where I can post to get suggestions on a proper computer system to use for trading..I have had numerous issues since purchasing S.F 5.0, with scans taking up to hours to complete etc.. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You 
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:28:36 AM

Worden Trainer

I can't make specific hardware recommendations and will move this topic on your behalf to the Stock and Market Talk forum where other traders are more likely to see it and comment.

There are a variety of topics on what computer you should buy to get the best StockFinder performance.

Question for trainer on Optimal Trading Computer for running Stock Finder
StockFinder Platinum Intraday streaming
Windows 7
Best Computer Configuration
Questions for Developers (or anyone) re: bottlenecks

One of the biggest bottlenecks that people encounter that they might not think of is the Hard Drive. StockFinder can use a lot of data and probably can't fit it all into RAM when doing Scans on large Watchlists with lots of history. The faster the Hard Drive the better. If you can afford a Solid State Drive instead of a Hard Drive, go for it.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Rick17
Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:51:41 AM
Thank You for your help Bruce.. Hopefully I will get some good responses.  If you have anymore suggestions for me without naming vendors I would be greatful.
jimstacy
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:55:16 AM
some adult night classes at local schools offer computer building. all the information needed to find the right parts can be found in books or on the internet.after you build one the next are simple to do at home. pick out a larger case for easy access.or find a parts seller, here we have P C Club, they sell the parts and have all the help one needs to build a good computer. I built three after the first class. no problems with trading or any other interest. the windows 7is like having a tutor it down loads and sets up most of the programs.multiple monitors included, you just choose 1, 2 ,3.........
pthegreat
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:56:58 AM

quad core CPU (the higher the frequency GHZ, the better)
64bit windows7
8Gb RAM memory, or more
Solid State Drive, and don't get the cheap ones.

I saw a drastic performance increase when I upgraded my PC with a "crucial" solid state drive.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
Rick17
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:58:27 AM
Excellent info pthegreat, this is what I am looking for.
I know very little about computers...I need to be sure what I am purchasing is enough to run everything smoothly....
Suggestions on size of the hard drive? I understand solid states drives do not have a speed rating? suggestions on a video card?
suggestions on a monitor?
Thanks to all who respond.
diceman
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:21:37 AM

One thing to remember is that the new telechart will be using the Worden
computers to crunch numbers.

I don’t see why the standard $500 off the shelf type computer
wouldn’t be enough.
My guess is, if I need a liquid nitrogen cooled super computer,
I’m probably doing something wrong.

Thanks
diceman

pthegreat
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:30:04 AM

I have the crucial c300 drive. very, very fast. 256Gb. which is more then enough to hold SF and its data. I also have microsof t office installed, and nothing else.
ASUS P6 motherboard with Intel 920 CPU. this is not the latest and greatest. but runs good for me. I did overclock the CPU to 4ghz, but if you do that, you need a large CPU cooling unit, and a powerfull powersupply.
500watt powersupply (which is the minimum, preferably higher, if you overclock the CPU)
I have two ATI Radeon HD-2400 video adapters, each has two DVI ports. so I can have a total of 4 monitors connected. You can get them on ebay for cheap. I don't think its necessary to shelve out hundreds of bucks for a Video-cards, unless you're a die hard gamer. Just make sure your monitor has the same port type as the interface on the card, such as DVI, HDMI, SVGA, each has a different type of cable.
If you're going to put the system together yourself, goto Compusa, tigerdirect, or a similar store, and give them the specs. They might even be able to put one together for you for a fee.

oh an most important, decrease the amount of daily and intraday bars to a minimum. the more bars, the more calculations are done, the slower SF. set them to maximum, only afterhours, for backtesting purposes, when you have enough time to let it crunch numbers.

Rick17
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:35:08 AM
Hey diceman, I understand your thought. When I purchased the Worden product, S.F 5.0 just came out and that happened to be the one I learned to use...Bruce has written simple scans that I use to scan all US stocks, I have no other indicators open in my layout...I ran it today and it took 24 minutes to complete....I have just started looking at TC2000 ran the same scan and it took 2.0 seconds...I have had this problem with S.F since day one..The techs have logged onto my computer and all settings seem to be correct...I don't understand why TC works but SF does not....So I beleive my choices are upgrade a computer or learn TC...Any suggestions would be appreciated.
pthegreat
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:54:04 AM

I think what is easily overlooked, and hasn't been given much attention, is that SF loops through every single bar of every single stock in your watchlist, whereas TC only returns results for the current active bar.  Therefore, as I stated in my previous post, it is prudent you minimize the amount of bars to be calculated to a minimum, to give you the results you're looking for, and not any unnecessary results.
If you play with the "settings-data manager - number of bars" and "bars since true" settings of the watchlist sort condition, you'll see dramatic performance improvement.

Rick17
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:07:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions pthegreat. The bars were default set to 2000/day, 500 intraday....I changed them to 100/100 and still same issue....As far as the bars since true, that does not appear as I am dragging and dropping the condition into the filter area...
diceman
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:36:16 AM

I think it depends on what you want to do.
Since you say your using “simple scans”
Telechart would make sense.
(not that it means you cant do something
complex on Telechart)

(I can understand pthegreat wanting to keep Stockfinder
as he’s using things not readily available on Telechart)

Of course, everyone always loves a new computer.  

Thanks
diceman

jas0501
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:34:18 AM
QUOTE (Rick17)
Hey diceman, I understand your thought. When I purchased the Worden product, S.F 5.0 just came out and that happened to be the one I learned to use...Bruce has written simple scans that I use to scan all US stocks, I have no other indicators open in my layout...I ran it today and it took 24 minutes to complete....I have just started looking at TC2000 ran the same scan and it took 2.0 seconds...I have had this problem with S.F since day one..The techs have logged onto my computer and all settings seem to be correct...I don't understand why TC works but SF does not....So I beleive my choices are upgrade a computer or learn TC...Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A partial solution is avoid all US Stocks, Come up with a selection criteria to trim down the choices. Use the criteria to periodicly compose a watchlist. The criteria can be anything, volume, price, performance over the last x bars, etc.

With this reduced watchlist the speed will improve proportionate to the size reduction.

Also. as stated, TC just looks at the current bar's context. SF looks at 2000 bar contexts.
The SF code can be "adjusted" to have autoloop = false and then adjust the code to look only at the lastbar's context, this is reducing the workload still further and reducing the utility of the code as the plots as only a bar. So too with conditions but that is all TC is giving you.

This would be dumbing down the SF code to mimic TC's current context view but speeding things at the same time.

SF allows you to see the satified condition or indicator and get the collective impression of the condition and indicators over time. There is a cpu cost for the big picture view.
Booker
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:01:06 PM

I'm not sure what language Stockfinder is written in but I suspect it is .net which is known to be not only a memory hog but runs considerably slower than other languages such as C or C++. Compare that to TC2000 that uses the Worden servers to do the heavy lifting and it is no contest for speed and efficiency. Any old computer would have enough power to work under that condition.

I think that Worden is on to something by using their servers. The only draw back would be relying on a program to call home but they will figure this out. They have already said there will not be any more updates to SF and this is for a reason. If you like features in SF that are not in TC, then they have a crew with big ears just waiting for your suggestions. Pile on the features; it will not slow down your computer at all.

BRING ON THE CLOUD!!!!

thomasgalvin
Posted : Friday, April 6, 2012 7:59:05 AM

QUOTE (Rick17)
Hi Bruce, This may not be the proper forum for this question so I apologize, but could you suggest or tell me where I can post to get suggestions on a proper computer system to use for trading..I have had numerous issues since purchasing S.F 5.0, with scans taking up to hours to complete etc.. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You 

Hi Rick17

This is a FREE guide on "How to buy a Trading computer and save money." It was written by a trader for traders. Check it out! http://tradingcomputersnow.com/

This will sure help you..!!

zoz
Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 9:51:59 PM

looks like that fellow didn't last too long .. Must of lost all his money day trading

tomson10
Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:20:47 AM

QUOTE (zoz)

looks like that fellow didn't last too long .. Must of lost all his money day trading

or he is still waiting for SF to finish his scan!!!!

zoz
Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2012 5:28:13 PM

Here at ZOZ central we scan everything personally the index finger on the space bar.I don't know enough to know what I'm looking for till i see it.. I guess I'm looking for Bill O'Neil wonders . Amd many time they have no connection to Bill . That I'm aware of.  Presently I'm looking for stock That were like 19 dollars between April 27 and May 5th and are down to 12 to 14 dollars. Yea and I like the thirty dollar price range too.. Ones that were . trading around 37 dollars and are no trading around 32. BFI  or Republic Trash company looks good..  I avoid Drug and Drug  delivery companys like the plague... What about computer Gaming ?  Hummm thats a Bill O'Neil alright but . I'll look at them.  Water companys look good. .High tech stuff? .only if i can short them . Food processors resturants and packagers thats my cup of tea. Some coffee company has got my eye. CBOsomething. Financial? I got my eye on AFSI that was a Bill O'Neil wonder some years agol . I made good money off of that one 15 1o 17 dollars . Thats one that shot up as sooon as I bought it but I didn't follow Bill instructions. Yea bill says he's only going to give you 20%. Financials sound good. Insurance companys yea Purential looks good. Cheap. But not too Cheap What about the pennies? Yea like Ford and Bank of America. I keep an eye on them.

Message board investing . How do you scan for Yahoo Messageboard investing? Pump and Dump. How do you scan for Pump and Dump? Its no worst than Forex or emini trading. . I invested in one TRCR I bought it by reaching my hand in a basket and pulled out its number stuck it in a drawer and pulled it out 2 months later 10k dollars richer. Alot more money than I ever made overtrading.

What was that stock I loss my behind in back in 2007 it was a Bill O'Neil wonder  based in

Springfield Va. it did Gov. contract work building igloos  and running cable from one tent to the other. in twenty days it went from 4 dollars to to uhh like 15 dollars . That was a non Published Bill O'Neil wonder. . Then crashed on the excuse of  Sub Prime Mortage problems. I lost 15,000 dollars that week but i sure wish i could find another one of them.. You get greedy and i got Greedy and bill wil sock to you I didn't even know Bill then . I bought it from seeing the high gain numbers in the Washington Post...  That's an idea . get the high gainer penny stock out of any newspaper then short them. They are too cheap to short I suppose..

Now don't stick this in my Blog site just cut and paste it to the trash can  You all mess me up with to many of my own messages in one place... 

zoz
Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 11:01:41 AM

I 'm trading with a 350 dolllar laptop with a 15 in screen . It takes getting use to but it works great. just bought it. Not in the restroom of the Greyhound bus station . I bought it at Best Buy.

fpetry
Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2012 11:04:50 AM

QUOTE (zoz)

I guess I'm looking for Bill O'Neil wonders

What was that stock I loss my behind in back in 2007 it was a Bill O'Neil wonder  based in

Funny thing about O'Neil and his top traders is that he/they don't personally use the famous canslim method.  Turns out the well known method  is a cookie cutter plan for the masses of retail traders, per two of his previous top associates who make zillions while working for him, Morales and Kacher.  Don't get me wrong, O'Neil's teachings overall are great, but most traders I think would be better off implementing certain aspects of canslim with modifications that will dovetail with the traders own style and personality.