Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Options charts Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
mmlmedv
Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 7:15:30 PM
Are options charts available, like stocks charts? Where can I find them?
BigBlock
Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 9:16:46 PM

Really think about what you are trying to find.  Does it make any sense?
The charts you should be concerned about are the charts of the undelying equities.
Please educate yourselve about options.

mmlmedv
Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 11:04:39 PM
Bigblock, I do trade options. The reason I need the charts is that options behavior is not studied seriosly so far. 

The greeks just do not tell you everything. So, the question is where I can get historical option prices.
BigBlock
Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 11:25:18 PM

OK, you can get charts, but is going to be expensive.  The advantage of this charts are close to little.  Just think of all the strikes, expirations, and different combination of the two.
I was trying to communicate to you that you are better off following the underlying issues in correlation with the greeks for free and better to your advantage.

Nonetheless if you like to have option graphs, so here it goes:

http://www.whselfinvest.nl/dtour/option_advanced_charts.html

http://www.bigtrends.com/productof.jsp  -be aware that the platinum package here is over $23,000 yearly

hope it helps

mmlmedv
Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 11:34:15 PM
Thanks bigblock. IT IS expensive.
The reason I was trying to examine the options behavior is that I sold my yahoo calls the next day aftet microsoft anouncement to buy the company. And I could sell the calls for much more if I sold them later the same day. The underlying stock price was about the same, but the option's prices changed a lot.
tdezo
Posted : Friday, February 15, 2008 9:31:29 PM
[QUOTE=mmlmedv]Thanks bigblock. IT IS expensive.

The reason I was trying to examine the options behavior is that I sold my yahoo calls the next day aftet microsoft anouncement to buy the company. And I could sell the calls for much more if I sold them later the same day. The underlying stock price was about the same, but the option's prices changed a lot.[/QUOTE

Chek out Optionsxepress. They might have charts , free.  I don't have Thinkorswim  but I think they have them too / 99%/   Just watch these options charts , they can be very interesting  and useful.  tdezo
BigBlock
Posted : Friday, February 15, 2008 10:25:05 PM

I have never seen Delta greater than 1.

allenbary
Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:37:01 AM

One of my friends used investools that have the options charts. He said they are nice to have because options prices have support and resistant levels too.  I have not found then anywhere for a low price. AB

mmlmedv
Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:22:19 PM

I am attending The Traders Expo tomorrow in New York. There will be many brokerages, other services. I will find out if they offer the charts and the pricing.
Thank you tdezo, I will check it out.

scottnlena
Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:24:12 AM

I get free current options charts through my broker.. but they don't all chart or chart well.  And as you know the options price dosent necessarily corelate to the underlying movement.  What you can do with some brokers is use conditional buy orders. for example say buy  calls of your specification based on underlying price movement.  

I for exampel was struggling with the ideas of how I would trade options becasue i'm a more visual trader and want the charts... but as Bigblock stated there are just to many to keep and archive etc.  so using the conditional buy order allows me to use the underlyings chart.  You could do this manualy just by monitoring the price movements of each.
JDiStefano
Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 12:05:34 PM
I think tradestation has what you are looking for.  You can plot the specific option strike historical price action. you can also plot imploed volatilities and statistical volatility as well.  The optionOracle is another great option analysis package and its free @ WWW.Samoasky.com...what you can't plot in Tradestation, I bet you'll find @ the Oracle.  Hopefully one of these  days TC will incorporate options data
BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:00:38 PM
I am amused that there is so much confusion on something so simple.  You can find what I told you where I pointed. 
By the way, in regards to investools, I would stay away from them.  I have heard plenty bad in their regards.  Investools is after getting you into their seminars - that is where they make their money.  I believe they charge about $5000 for a bag full of lies.
Sometimes the only way to believe is to pay and see.  I will leave that up to you.
A chart of profit/loss is not what was asked here originally.  You can get applications that would do that for you for ferr.  That would just draw your risk/reward over time - i am sure you can do that in your head.
To have current data based on the bid, ask, last to make a regular chart for every strike, expiration, month you are going to have to pay.

Take care
mikepass
Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:20:53 PM
mmlmedv, yhoos change in price was probally due to change in volatility .You are probally talking
about  volatility charts. Here is a sample, hopefully it will paste. Go to optionetics website. There is a fairly good information board which is free here.There is also a subscripton based service that I subscribe to which is called platnimum express. This is where I find my charts. They also have seminars which are outrageously priced. Also go to CBOE website for info. Also if you belong to Ameritrade they have an option charting service if you are preapproved for options. It is called options 360. Good luck.   Mikepass

BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:53:44 PM
Options 360??? By Ameritrade??? I am certainly approved for options at Ameritrade -never seem such a options 360.
Optinetics?? come on
I suppose you get what you pay for.