Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Anyone profitable with Stockfinder? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
cunparis
Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:15:48 AM
I'm currently evaluating Stockfinder and I have 1 month to decide if I cancel or not.  So I thought I'd ask if there are traders that are profitable trading a system developed with stockfinder and backtested?  I see a lot of discussion of bollinger bands, stochastics, and other price indicators.  I have never found an edge with these indicators.  So I'm curious how others are doing and if there are other things I should consider.

Thanks
johnlc
Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:47:40 PM
I certainly would not knock anything the Worden's provide.   Good stuff,IMO.    

This is just my dumb _ _ _ opinion.    I've tried the backtesting with the technicals, stoch, macd, bb, etc, .  

The holy grail ain't there.    I actually found 2 good fundamentals that truly enhanced all the %'s of my simplistic scans.   

Maybe some ot the folks who can write real code have come up with their own good stuff.  I'm lucky to get my password correct,  let alone write something in computer lingo.   But if I were them, why should I pass along that info?  

Although I do my own selections, always, I have certainly learned alot from Tobydad.    How he does things, what he looks for,  how he makes orders.   Pretty good stuff.    However there are tons of people on this site that have a vast amount more experience than I.     Apsll does alot of support and resistance and breaks.     Ben2k9   posts alot of overall mrkt stuff to watch.    Fptery always on top of the technicals.   
AGM32 when he does post is always good , seems to be day trader stuff,...   And  others to numerous to sort all good info provided.     

It's hard to move over to SF. when one is so used to TC.    Even the folks at Worden admit that TC's easy scan can't be beat.  

diceman
Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:24:52 PM

It should be remembered that StockFinder is a tool and will only yield results
when used properly.

Knowing yourself, knowing what indicators do,  understanding the basics
of trade, and knowing what your looking for will all be factors
in determining your success.

Thanks
diceman

wwrightjuly4
Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:10:06 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

TC - is great for narrowing down and finding a list of stocks

Stockfinder -
  - can suck in the TC active list and narrow the list if needed using the realcode rules and indicators.
  - power of realcode is "loops" writing PCF's is tedious when all you really need is an interation.
  - Sequence of Events is nice also.
  -backtest  nice tool not as versatile as you would like but it can give you a pretty good indication of the Usefulness of your signals.  there are other backtest  on the market 'meta stock v9' for one.  Meta stock is nice.  But it can be tedious to learn and use.   The language is not PCF or realcode, it is Meta.

here is a great discussion about using the backtester - maybe other but I found it useful
http://forums.worden.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=42329

It is tedious to copy from the search to the backtestor.  But you can use it with TC, TC as your data source will convert to TC 3 format and Meta will read these files.

wwrightjuly4
Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:12:17 PM

and no I can't spell I think that has been established, over and over and over.
johnlc
Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:14:49 PM
big block incognitio
wwrightjuly4
Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:36:42 AM

John - Not sure, but I seem to annoy you...Well, dito.  Your comments are always so useful, I pack them away in a little notebook and carry them with me everywhere I go.  Like little gems of clever quips which seem to ever inspire.

regards.
johnlc
Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:02:17 PM
WW :   sorry forgot the  LOL  at the end
devtrader
Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 2:13:50 AM
Cunparis,  if you don't find stockfinder helpful move on to something else which works for you. It is not if something works for me will work for you .  Before starting stockfinder I played day and night freestockcharts for 15 days. Hence stockfinder became breeze and I am enjoying stockfinder than telechart.  Now I consider Telechart as a MS-DOS and stockfinder as Windows-XP.  And you know the difference between DOS and XP.
jas0501
Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 10:12:38 AM
StockFinder is a set of tools for analyzing, verifying, selecting  and tracking various strategies and trading opportunities.

A  set of Brand-X tools does not make a successfull carpenter but many successful carpenters use Brand-X tools.
allenbary
Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:38:17 AM

Well said jas0501

kcolcord
Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 4:30:59 PM
I'm trying the gold ver. of stockfinder and TC and I'm a little dissappointed. I spoke with tech support and I think they should put on the website that stockfinder gold will not let you sort or scan using any fundamental data. It's a bit misleading.