Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

The "Stocks Not to Miss" list Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:10:51 PM

OK, let's comprise a list of stocks that we believe should not be missed. The rules are as follows:

*No limits
*No arguing about or denigrating of others' contributions (Hey, it's my  thread and I can make up the rules. The Wordens have given me my own personal DEL key and I can remove your posts if you get argumentative...so watch it, bub!)
*Only winners
*No losers
(Just kidding about the last two)

OK, I'll start.

Don't miss SQNM or GNBT

Alright then, who's next?
ben2k9
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:31:39 PM

cool thread.

CHNG

tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:57:23 PM

Is that as in Cha-CHNG?
rysa
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:02:42 PM
Would it possible to include your rationale in these picks.   All I am seeing at the moment is - bars all over the place - Thx
ben2k9
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:39:42 PM

Tobydad: I hope so!

Seems to be bucking the downward trend of natural gas prices.  Any movement higher in Nat gas could be explosive. 

rysa:

here ya go.  If you don't understand what's going on here, i would recommend you to learn some technical analysis basics. 

rysa
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:21:27 PM
I understand the chart basics.  I am a beginner and trying to see, If there is more to picking stocks i.e. exotic setup of multiple indicators coming together to generate BUY/SELL signals.

I am still working on the Money management and sticking to strict STOP LOSS rules.

Thanks for the education...
hiromj
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:36:32 PM
I like the looks of GNBT.
sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:03:56 AM

I'm feeling overwhelmed--i see too many.  Could you help me prioritize these ideas--Am I on the right track?  The first four seem like good ones for tomorrow if the futures look good--but is the market too overbought?  I'm getting quite nervous about going in. Yes a correction would be welcome at this point, but I think it might just trend sideways, there is a lot of money going into financial acts in Ameritrade and ETrade, etc.  This market has been amazing.

ABAX, WSTL, NAVI, CHB, SNTA, CELG,TRBN, SHZ, IGC, GBE, OXPA, MGIC, YMI, XRM, EPEX, ISR, DSCO. AEN, CHB, HLCS, GTN, TSYS, RTK, CPWM, AMIE, HEB, INO, ABAX, QUIK, TSTR, CMLS, MSN, RMT, GRH, MSO, MGIC, MELA

AAPL--Crammer went nuts with this tonight and it fits the GUPPY  MA profile.  He also picked MSO which looked good--matching fundamentals and charts--a rare occassion. 

diceman
Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:23:09 AM
In honor of Tobydad:

PVG
SOLR
HSNI
OTTR

(Hey, he asked for stocks after the biggest rally since 1933)
(and in September no less)

Thanks
diceman
sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:00:12 AM
"I've recently become more of a fan of a certain trade....the "pullback to the breakout trade.  The risk on the entry is fairly low, and the reward is fairly large.

Here's the general concept: a stock breaks out of a traditional pattern on high volume, and then sometime in the near future retreats back to the breakout point in lower volume.   "  Ben2k9

When I say traditional patterns I mean bases like cups, cup & handle, double bottom, flat bases, etc.  Ben2k9

OK I think I'm getting it, you guys are talking about these as breakout patterns for tomorrow SQNB,, GNBT, and CHNG--as a break out pattern, not waiting for it to fit the TD profile. 

I just began reading about VSA.  So on CHNG the candal on the 14th is a sign of strength as it is a lower priced candal closing at the top of the bar?

Asia had its biggest day in 3 weeks and futures are up-- They liked our retail sales reports--rallys always last longer than you would think--I heard.  

Thank you for all the teachings!

sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:49:10 AM

NAVI--fits  Guppy MA and TD profile.  Recently got a government contract to use their software. 

ben2k9
Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:11:38 AM

QUOTE (sailnadream)
"

OK I think I'm getting it, you guys are talking about these as breakout patterns for tomorrow SQNB,, GNBT, and CHNG--as a break out pattern, not waiting for it to fit the TD profile.

TD profile is just one type of trade...Todydad's style...  This thread is not about TD profile, it's just about top picks.  There's a wide variety of trading styles represented by participants in this forum.  My pick has nothing to do with TD profile, for example.

They're not necessarily breakout picks for today or for tomorrow...time frame was not discussed
sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:22:09 PM
Ben,

thank you for clearing that up.  

Went with WSTL, and NAVI  today , FR yesterday.  Picked up the 50.00 dollar bills on the way.  Very happy.  

Thanks for all the help!

Sail

hiromj
Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:42:38 PM
Got into GNBT yesterday (Thank you Tobydad). Not a big move yet but looks poised to go very soon. Small profits already. I think I got in on the perfect day but will have the stops in place.
Thanks again Tobydad and everyone else that are so kind enough to share so that everyone can succeed together.
emce48
Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:10:53 AM
QUOTE (tobydad)
OK, let's comprise a list of stocks that we believe should not be missed. The rules are as follows:

*No limits
*No arguing about or denigrating of others' contributions (Hey, it's my  thread and I can make up the rules. The Wordens have given me my own personal DEL key and I can remove your posts if you get argumentative...so watch it, bub!)
*Only winners
*No losers
(Just kidding about the last two)

OK, I'll start.

Don't miss SQNM or GNBT

Alright then, who's next?

SAN DIEGO, Sept. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SEQUENOM, Inc. (Nasdaq: SQNM - News) today announced that the company's first laboratory developed test, the SensiGene(TM) Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Carrier Screening test, has been launched. This test is available exclusively through the Sequenom Center for Molecular Medicine, a next-generation CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments, 1988) molecular diagnostic laboratory and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sequenom, Inc

looks like TD has found another Gem ... Pre market up 10 % pm 450,000 volume ...

tobydad
Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:50:07 PM

Praise the Lord!
tobydad
Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:52:39 PM

SQNM, GNBT; they both look worth getting in now, adding on if you're money mgmt process allows. 

I've been in a few weeks, adding to tomorrow morning.
jandriotis
Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:46:13 PM
Since I dont have a clue, would anyone mind giving me an opinion. i just bought these and as usual they ALL dropped in price just as soon as I bought. Now they are only down a few cents each but with my track record I am nervous. "TSCM"-- both TSV and OBV look good (I think) with a slight bobble just now hopefully just as it pushes through the resistance level. Money stream is at the "0" point but well into a rise. The Guppy MMA looks good. BOP shows good buying pressure. Both MACD and Stochastics look decent to me. "NPBC"-- This looks about the same except I dont see resistance for a little bit. "A"-- Pretty much the same. here is some resistance about $29.30 but that is from back in Sept/Oct 08 so maybe it wont have a great effect. I am prepared to hold them for a while to let them rise as long as they want but I'm just checking to see if my thinking is anywhere close to correct. Anybody's thought would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon
sailnadream
Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 12:28:15 AM

TD, I'm not used to going in on a candal like the one on SQNM--What would your entry look like?

JAN-

I'll take a stab at it since no one else seems to be up, but keep in mind I have only recently been successful and know only the basics of TA.  

You might want to paper trade until you are feeling more confident. 

I suppose it depends upon how much you want to risk.  I think U need to decide whether you are swing trading or position trading and set your stops accordingly. I don't see much upside with A for a little while.  I'd set my stop close and consider getting in again later if it is triggered.   There is too much long term resistance above price.  

I like TSCM too but  I don't like todays candal and it too has some resistance from years back.   I am swing trading mostly right now.  I'd put my stop tight if I was swing trading.  I'd wait to go in after a pull back -course I could be quite wrong on it.   It might be a nice position trade --you would have your stop lower. And I'd want to know about the fundamentals. 

I'd recommend deciding  whether you are swing or position trading on NPBC

You might like to check out 'Tobydads profile'.  I've been  using  TD's method and that has given me 100% sucess in the past two weeks! 

sailnadream
Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 12:47:24 AM

WAVE

TD--Please comment on a possible entry on WAVE today.  Price is not back up over LR30 yet but Guppy MA looks good and so does tsv26 passing through BB13.  Would you go in after a 19% rise yesterday? 

tobydad
Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 12:59:47 AM

SQNM or WAVE, I rarely use anything other than a conditional buy limit order placed in the morning one penny above the previous day's high. 

I also like to see support from the LR30 immediately below the candle. 

There are the other factors previously discussed. 

WAVE looks nice. Thanks for bringing it up. 
hiromj
Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 7:07:06 AM
Two more that look ready to go.
IMMU had a very nice shake out after hours last night and the chart looks good.
And PCS looks good also. I have orders in for both.
sailnadream
Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:42:24 PM
GBNK--from original TD list
TIBX - previous list

ONSM--new
sailnadream
Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 6:30:13 AM
MOVE
jandriotis
Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 8:46:03 AM
Sailnadream,
  I have been trying for a couple of days to send a message but there has been something wrong with this site.
  I wanted to thank you for your reply to my post. I don't care how much experience you have. You obviously have more than me and you are willing to share it.
  You've got me reevaluating my situation. I think I still need more papertrading since I still have problems with entry points.I seem to do better on paper --but not a lot.
  I don't have the capital for day trading. I will be swing or position trading. I thought that the trade itself would determine the length by price action. Do you make the decision prior to entering the trade?
  By the way I entered TSCM just before those bear candles. Probably should have gotten out right away since it didn't do as I expected.
  If you folks don't mind I will continue to observe this forum and ask questions.
Thanks again,
Jon
sailnadream
Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 10:40:51 AM

You are welcome, I feel hesitant to post because I really have not been that successful up until now.  Could be beginners luck.  There are some really great traders to learn from on this site. 

I think you have to make sure you are signed in to post, that might have been the problem. I found you can post from some areas and not from others.  I don't see anything wrong with the site, things have been working fine for me.  Good to hear from you. 

Yes, I decide whether I'm position trading or swing trading before I go in and place my stops accordingly.  I decide based on my style and market trend. I like swing trading as if fits my time constraints and my personality.  I will switch to position trading once I see a nice staircase formation with less risk.  Also this market looks to be moving towards a sideways trend with institutions buying on quiet days.  It probably will be good for position trading.   I took classes with Technitrader and found that invaluable.  (They recommended Worden)  Gave me a lot of confidence.   However I found that I was always going in too high.  This group ( I think we need a name) really helped me see the energy in a stock so I could get in earlier.  I found two threads very helpful. Look up 'FNML and the Tobydad profile' if you haven't read it yet and there is another about dragons---I'll see if I can find them for you.  

I like what intothetrade has to say about candals, -I've been listening to him on youtube, if its red its likely to go down.  I take a Black Cloud candal (9/17) fairly seriously and set stops close or sell at market.  I like the looks of TSCM it has a lot of upside potential but TSV 26 and MS were at the top of the chart several days ago and its running into 2003, 2004 resistance.   I'd also prefer to see more past volume.   I think there could be a better entry down the road.  

Take a look at CELG, I went in a few days ago, on 9/16.  If fit the TD profile for me-not perfectly but good enough.   It's bucking the market today.

jandriotis
Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 11:39:01 AM
been thinking of using Techni trader myself.
realitycheck
Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 8:12:49 PM
QUOTE (diceman)

(Hey, he asked for stocks after the biggest rally since 1933)
(and in September no less)

Thanks
diceman

Though it actually looks a bit more like the one that began in November 1929 ...

I think it was about 52% ...

emce48
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:57:53 AM
QUOTE (sailnadream)

WAVE

TD--Please comment on a possible entry on WAVE today.  Price is not back up over LR30 yet but Guppy MA looks good and so does tsv26 passing through BB13.  Would you go in after a 19% rise yesterday? 

Hope you're still a WAVE watcher - futures sure look good !
sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:10:57 AM
YES, and its a very nice short consolidation too.  Thanks emce!
sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:20:43 AM
SQNM is due to open higher as well.  Also STEC.
ben2k9
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:34:39 AM

CHNG on the move!
emce48
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:29:58 AM
QUOTE (sailnadream)
YES, and its a very nice short consolidation too.  Thanks emce!

50% of gap up filled when going below and rising above .97 good indication for moving higher . They had a new product announcement
sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:16:08 PM
AVNR did nicely today
intothetrade
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:10:47 PM
my picks on stocks not to miss...

SPY and BIDU on the short side
ben2k9
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:27:22 PM

why bidu?
sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:57:39 PM
Ben, if you wouldn't mind sharing how do you place your stops?
sailnadream
Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:14:22 PM
Ben, if you wouldn't mind sharing how do you place your stops?--For instance WAVE. 
intothetrade
Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:02:03 PM
hope you guys are following my short picks :D
tobydad
Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 8:55:43 AM

If it weren't for the news from 9/16, I'd say BEAT is ready to buy (at CBO+1 of course).