Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

trading firms Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
johnlc
Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:21:36 PM
don't know if this is allowed on this forum.  would some of you more experienced traders give some suggestions on the better on- line trading firms. ex: tdameritrade, scott trade etc.

thanks johnc
funnymony
Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:09:17 PM

for starters theres different types such as the "direct access brokers," interactive brokers, mb trading are two i'm familiar with.

Direct-access brokers usually use complicated computer software that allows clients to trade directly with an exchange or with other individuals via electronic communication networks (ECN). These brokers have cut down their costs and increased efficiency by eliminating the role of the third party, which in turn allows them to charge a lower commission than traditional brokers.

then theres the "online discount guys" etrade, schwab, tdameritrade, scottrade.

then theres the "full service brokers" not even sure who they are any more.

full service broker-a broker that provides a large variety of services to its clients, including research and advice, retirement planning, tax tips, and much more.

i'd probably suggest looking into the names i mentioned above and see what suits your needs.

diceman
Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:15:07 PM
You may be interested in this:

Thanks
diceman

memorableproducts
Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:43:16 PM

Here's another link:

http://www.worden.com/training/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10792

and here's a review I found on another site about IB vs. Etrade (I think this was a good depiction of how etrade is and I use them with great satisfaction -- excellent trading platform in Etrade Pro which also gives you the option of using direct access trading. But, I am also partial to Etrade also because as a former Brown and Company customer, I was allowed to keep my low commission rates when Brown and Company sold out to Etrade):

Interactive Brokers… not for everyone !

Only if you are a professional or semi-pro. By professional I intend someone who trades for a living, not someone who trades just for fun or is a trader during the weekends.

I have an account with Etrade and I am very happy, I just didn’t want to keep all my capital in one place only.

Interactive Brokers is different.

It is like driving a very nice Lexus and a Porsche, both great rides, yet very different rides. It is not really about the car, it is about the driver.

Etrade has an excellent costumer service, great hand holding if you wish to use it, and a very intuitive platform EtradePro, ( I wrote a review ). Even a debit card so that you can spend your gains right away. They make it E-A-S-Y for you to go from point A to point B. I love them for that.

Interactive Brokers has A LOT of bells and whistles. It is very advanced and sophisticated, but don’t even think about hand holding. Their costumer service sucks, however, if you do know what the heck you are doing, and like to be left alone go for it.

They kick ass !

scottnlena
Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 12:30:57 AM

"Interactive Brokers has A LOT of bells and whistles. It is very advanced and sophisticated, but don’t even think about hand holding. Their costumer service sucks, however, if you do know what the heck you are doing, and like to be left alone go for it."

They kick ass ! 

I dissagree with the above.  I am an IB customer.  They were my irst account.  True they make you take an aptitude test for each issue you intend to trade and wan't to see at least 100 trades before taking you on as a customer but I papertraded and took an online course so I aced their little exame thing.  The thing is, yes.. they aren't into hand holding and stroking their cutomers.  I don't want tea and crumpets with my broker....  But they do offer full service broker asisted trades if yo ureally wan't that at the going rate for that sort of brokerage, advisory service.  A stupid fee.

As far as being complex in their interface... I don't think so.  It was intimidating at frist BUT your possibilities are totaly limited by your imagination.  it's truely a profesional platform and interface.  But it's totaly customizeable.  If you are used to and comfortable with "trade tickets" then use that interface.  if you wan't to trade directly from charts with trend lines that are submitted as live orders on any time frame .. use that interface.  If you are a scalper or agresive day trader and need speed of execution and buying and selling with in secconds while still using limit or stop orders then use the book trader interface where you have one click transmittals, because the time to key in price could cost you your entry tick.

You can set in saftey stops where if you exceed a predefiend risk level or what ever.. you get a prompt that asks you  if you really want to submit that order.  Say you generaly buy between 100 - 300 shares.. then accidentaly enter an order for 1000.  it's an easy typo to make.. a warning box pops up and makes you confirm it because it way outside your normal trading habbits.(not the best described by me) IB does not pattern it's traders.

They have order types and combinations that most people will never use.  conditional orders, basket orders, order cancells order,  orders that automatically reduce them selves based on other fills for the portfolio.  

Pluss the real time quotes and other interfaces, news, blah blah .. stuff i've never even tried to use.  Tons of learning videos for Options players.  Access to stocks, options, currencies and futures.  Great security.

I fully recoment IB to any trader.  take the tour, down load the demo and get comforatble with it.  Papertrade and set up your interface.  Once you have set up the interface it as easy as working with Telechart or easier actually.  It looks intimidating at first but it's AWESOME.  Just like Telechart most people never use all it's functions.

AND all that comes with their super low transaction costs.  I think only BOK and Zeeco trading are cheaper but you don't get any of that.. not only do yo not get conditional order.. but you don't get much beyond market orders with allot of those companies for the "discout price"  Try submitting a "bracket order for $7 at Scott trade.  Cant do it.

With Ib my day .. when not day trading (which I have stopped) goes like this (before the baby):  Get up check futures  decide to enter order preselected the night before (could transmit them straight from my excel calculation sheet if I chose) Submit a buy stop order for 200 at a predetermined range order good till cancelled attach a stop loss and proffit target. turn off computer and go fishing.  come home fire it up to find I was filled at 2:03:35 for a price with in the Buy stop range and imediately my stop loss protection was inplace and my target limit, transaction cost $1.00.. record the P/L for the day.. update charts and make management decisions.. look for new oportunities. Repeat next day.

At scott trade I get to submit a market order for 7$.  AFTER I own the stock I can submit my stop loss. (or at leat that is how it was)  if I trade a few thousand shares my transaction fee goes up but it never gets higher than $7.00 at IB and I get all the bells and whistles.

Down side $10 a month data fee for the quotes if I don't make 10 transactions in the month ... If I do it's free.  The few months I didn't, my interest rate on cash more than covered it and left some profit behind.

customer service has been great to me. But when I call I'm not calling to chat.. I know what i need from them and what to ask.  BUT even for questions on how to construct one of their complicated orders I got great people.  Who also directed me to a video on using the function I had overlooked.

yea, Interactive Brokers is not for everyone . . . .  but if you can read charts / fundamentals and make your own descisions then a full service brokers are not for you.  You are giving away money.  If you are comfortable making your own decisions and view any brokers recomendation with scepticism there is no reason why IB is NOT for you.

Next in line would be Tradestation for a slightly higher fee .. you get a pretty cool backtesting software intot he bargain and most of the cool order types of IB.  Tradestation will allow you to totaly automate your trading if you are comfortable with that.. and can program it properly.  So imagine saying "i'm going to trade the turtle strategy on the intraday 5 min charts over these 5 stocks"...you set up the list .. program the parameters hit go and go to work or fishing or what ever.  Come home and find 5 transactions (or whatever) entered and exited or pyramided according to your trade rules pre programed. . . . If you are comfortable with that.

I don't know much about MBTrading.

I hope this helps.
Scott.

funnymony
Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 1:41:46 AM

if your new at this, i'd probably suggest scottrade. they offer $7 flat rates, stocks, options, streaming charts, cd's, bonds, mutal funds.

for pure trading interactive brokers. they offer stocks, currencys, futures, options, foreign exchanges, all with lightening fast execution.

open an account at both if you have the money.
enkidu
Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 5:30:38 AM
For guys who want simpler things:
Scottrade Elite and Etrade have the easiest clients and good service.  Schwab is known for their great service.  I recently had a few sob stories with Ameritrade re: client services, so I can't really recommend them at all.

For people who want more heavy duty stuff:
IB, Tradestation, Think Or Swim are some names that are pretty popular -- they have tools and access markets that are not available to your normal retail investor.
memorableproducts
Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 9:22:49 AM

Everything Scott says he can do with IB, I can do with Etrade Pro.

I can trade from charts simply by double clicking on the price bar or I can trade from my watchlist simply by double clicking in the cell for the ask price if I'm buying or double clicking in the cell for the bid price if I'm shorting and in either case, everything is already filled out for me on the order screen e.g. shares (which I can predefine), current ask (or bid) price ready execute on limit (or I can change the order type if I wish).

There is also a safety feature which you can turn on or off called the preview window which will enable you to catch any mistakes you may have made in your order before you execute it.

As far as charts are concern, I have numerous technical studies at my disposal including being able to draw trend lines on my charts, Williams %R, advance/decliners, slow, fast and full stochastics, MacdH, Accumalation/Distribution, simple moving averages, linear weight moving average and many many more technicals I would never use.

Newly added features includes charts for options, implied volatity for options, and an integrated Excel Spreadsheet which allows you to import your current watchlist and trade from the spreadsheet.
You can also import historical data into the spreadsheet for any stock symbol.

Everything in Power Etrade Pro is extremely intuitive and you don't have to switch to a different facility to trade from charts only.
We get on the spot streaming news that updates on its own for any particular symbol your cursor may happen to be on in your watchlist at that time.

Conditional orders are a snap and are very intuitive to set up and can do everything Scott says IB's platforn can do.

In order to use Power Etrade Pro free of charge, you have to trade at least 30 times per quarter.

I'm sure I've left alot of things out but I think that maybe I've given you a pretty good picture of how good this platform is.

Oh and we have a New Highs/New Lows ticker window, of course nasdaq levell II and open book and market depth (which I think is the same as TotalView, not sure).

We have direct access or automatic thru the broker order submissions

etc. etc. etc.
Well you get the picture.

Thanks for your time,
mp

funnymony
Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 11:41:09 AM

......but you can't trade commodities or forex at etrade, and commissions are higher at etrade, espeicially if you don't meet etrade's qualifications.

i just soon have an account at each, so you could enjoy the benefits of both.

cheers
memorableproducts
Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 12:30:22 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about you futures and forex guys. I'm just interested in stocks and options. I apolgize for my narrow mindedness.

In all fairness though, I've been reading some horror stories about IB as well as stories like Scott's  -- you either love 'em or you hate 'em.

For instance, if their platform is messing up your order, you can't get those guys on the phone  -- that sort of thing.  Or easy access to your money can be a hassle (Etrade gives you checks and/or a debit card)

Or when you call customer service, you might have a 30 min wait time (or more).

Deplorable customer service is what I hear from most reviews  -- but Scott says differently.

Who knows. 

Also, I was surprised to hear from Scott that they give you some sort of aptitude test  -- Who does that?  Ridiculous.

funnymony
Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 1:27:44 PM

they actually do give an aptitude test, but its basically "open book". they do it for your own good to make sure you have an understanding of trading futures, options, forex etc. at one time customer service was a problem, although they have a message board, and online chat, but they've since corrected that problem.
johnlc
Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 7:19:49 PM
thanks to all who took time to submit their valued opinions.  

johnc
scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:08:02 AM

QUOTE (memorableproducts)

Oh yeah, I forgot about you futures and forex guys. I'm just interested in stocks and options. I apolgize for my narrow mindedness.

In all fairness though, I've been reading some horror stories about IB as well as stories like Scott's  -- you either love 'em or you hate 'em.

For instance, if their platform is messing up your order, you can't get those guys on the phone  -- that sort of thing.  Or easy access to your money can be a hassle (Etrade gives you checks and/or a debit card)

Or when you call customer service, you might have a 30 min wait time (or more).

Deplorable customer service is what I hear from most reviews  -- but Scott says differently.

Who knows. 

Also, I was surprised to hear from Scott that they give you some sort of aptitude test  -- Who does that?  Ridiculous.

this is gonna degrade to "my broker can beat up your broker" .  Well I once had an isse where due to a software issue they needed to do maintenance on the server or something but the result was that all stop orders were cancelled.  I got an email with an alert and I reentered tehm the next morning.

I did have an issue where for about two weeks I couldn't modify stops on certain issues.  Then while on the phone with the guy he was trying to talk me througha work around with a conditional order the exit got submitted and triggered..cost me money ... for a total of 2 loosing trades totaling $100 and change.. sent a "ticket" to complience department that was well documented and it clearly was not my fault that the trades were a loss and I was reimbursed.

I'm shure E-trade is great.  I'd be cautious with a service that also acts as a bank yet dosne't carry the same FDIC protection and was one of the first and hardest hit in the sub prime derivitives speculation mess.  Just a few weeks ago I read an article that alluded that they may see a crisis from it,, possibly not survive.  Dont know how much there is to that.  But to go from $22.50 to $ $2.50 in less than a year, bear market or not is not good IMO.  I'd worry about my money's safety.  While it's true that IBKR broke to the down side it's much later and much less severe. 

Finaly can you do all the stuff that IB can do for the same price as IB?  Not that I really care.  YEa the aptitude test is to keep out people who will make mistakes and expect  to be able to call and whine to them and tie up phone lines and complience departments with nonesence .

I've never waited 30 min.  it's alwayse less than 5 min.  NOW if it's an emergency and you need to exit a position there is a clear option to press # what ever.  That puts you directly to the broker asisted trade department.  Only used it once and actually didn't mean to .. fat fingers hit the wrong button.. so they transfered me back to "technical issues".  But I've also called to ask their "brokers" about order entry logic and mechanics.  At one poitn I was considering and testing (or trying to) buying thin consolidation breakouts with an "Order Cancels Order" by way of an OCA order.. and entering mutualy cancelling long and short orders on the consolidation for the breakout.  Baring a fakeout i'd be on the right side with out trying to read to much into indicators and guess the direction of the break.  Anyway I called a broker to ask him about the order and explained how I wanted to use it .. and at first he wasn't getting it because they demonstrate it online as a risk limiting tool.  IE:  you have portfolio space for 200 of XYZ, 100 of ZXY and 150 of JKL... but not all.. enter the order that cancells the other two based on which one fills first.  

When I explained what I wanted to do with it he pauses as through he had never considered that as an option but said. ... "yea, you could do that"... and that was it... and no charge.

I"m shure that there are benefits either way.
memorableproducts
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:28:05 AM

QUOTE (scottnlena)

I'm shure E-trade is great.  I'd be cautious with a service that also acts as a bank yet dosne't carry the same FDIC protection and was one of the first and hardest hit in the sub prime derivitives speculation mess.  Just a few weeks ago I read an article that alluded that they may see a crisis from it,, possibly not survive. .

First, please refer me to the information that states that one FDIC insured bank does not get the same protection as another FDIC insured bank.  More specifically please refer me to the article or whatever that erroneous states that Etrade Bank doesn't get the same FDIC insured protection.

Second, why do you think that the brokerage accounts have anything to do with the bank accounts?
They're separate entities with their own separate protection policies.

Third, Etrade Bank may have been one of the first hit with the subprime mess but they were able to sell all of those bad loans to another firm.  So, Etrade Bank doesn't have that problem anymore -- they got lucky.   But you can't say that about most banks with this predicament.
scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:17:52 AM

Just wen't to their website.. my apologies.  when I was shopping for an account i would swear that one of the things that detered me from them (aside from transaction price) was the FDIC status that has aparently changed.
Booker
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:07:09 PM
I would be cautious of a broker that invested in the sub-prime fiasco and virtually denied any downside risk last August by saying their total exposure to sub-prime related losses would not exceed 1 tenth of 1 percent of their total assets when in fact it was much more than that. shares of E-trade has lost 87% of it's value in the last year.
scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:50:18 PM

The technitrader trainers lectured that Etrade will be at risk of take over if not something worse from this and advise those students using Etrade keep a close eye on their accounts.. that many people will have left to find other brokers.
memorableproducts
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:52:26 PM

Scott,
You need to tell us exactly what it is you thought you saw because I never saw anything like what you've been saying on the Etrade website.
Or maybe you got your info from some fear-mongering article.

Booker, 
shares of E-trade lost 87% of their value when they still had those subprime loans on their books.
That's not the case now.  and why do you think they are lying about the 1 tenth thing?
They have billions in assets from their combined brokerage accounts and banking activities.

Confidence in Etrade wains because of all of the erroneous fear-mongering opinions (not facts) that keep getting put out there for everyone, not in the know, to read.

I can name 2 people on this thread right now perpetuaing the fear with opinions.

Booker
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:19:03 PM

mp, I only know what I read, which should be facts since it's all over the net. When I read things like:

E-trade cut staff and sold a $3 billion portfolio of mortgage debt to Citadel Investment Group at a $2.2 billion loss. In November and December alone, the money E-Trade's clients keep in their accounts has dwindled from $226.7 billion to $190 billion and drove a panic in the marketplace, and customers who had no reason to be concerned got concerned and moved their money away.

To me, the stock price not being able to get out of the $3 range speaks volumes about what people think of E-trade.

memorableproducts
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:31:13 PM

QUOTE (Booker)

E-Trade's clients keep in their accounts has dwindled from $226.7 billion to $190 billion and drove a panic in the marketplace, and customers who had no reason to be concerned got concerned and moved their money away.

To me, the stock price not being able to get out of the $3 range speaks volumes about what people think of E-trade.

Booker, you are exactly right and this is exactly what I'm saying.

The stock price will remain low for as long as the customers get nervous and abandon ship..

When they lose confidence that just makes the situation worse.

Etrade bank is not the only bank taking hits because of bad investments but all accounts are insured. So why the panic to leave?  This is the problem.

Investments all over the place are starting to take big hits -- not just at Etrade.

For customers to leave because they don't think their money is safe just compounds the problem when this is supposed to be the least of their worries -- because their money is insured.

So naturally the stock price is going to remain low.  They've got to get the confidence of their customers back.

Booker
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:07:55 PM

well well well....this is a day I will mark on my calendar. How about that... mp actualy agreed with something I said and did not give me hell for saying it.

Does this mean we can be friends?

memorableproducts
Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:08:43 PM

Sure Booker, we can be friends.  Just check the personal attacks at the door and stick to the issues and we're cool.

mp
memorableproducts
Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:16:04 AM

QUOTE (scottnlena)
The technitrader trainers lectured that Etrade will be at risk of take over if not something worse from this and advise those students using Etrade keep a close eye on their accounts.. that many people will have left to find other brokers.

Ahh, now I understand  -- more fear mongerers spout their opinions
scottnlena
Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:25:24 AM

They aren't fear mongers..

Look the fact is Etrade went from  $22 to $3.00 and people are worried..  there are all sorts of things that can happen as a result of the super low stock price and the super low stock price can and usualy is symptomatic of all sorts of other things.

They may be fine  I don't know.   All I know is that their transaction costs are pretty expensive for me and I dont' get the same bells and whistles for my money.

Business that take the kinds of losses that the financial sector has see all sorts of thigns going on.. Look at the closing arilines, bear sterns.  It's not outside the realm of posibility.
memorableproducts
Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:09:41 AM

Ok, let's take a look at Bear Sterns as an example.  Who really got hurt?
Was it the investors that entrusted their funds with the Bear or was it the stockholders?

Now let's look at Etrade. Should I be worried if I am not a stockholder?
Well , I venture to say that most of you would say, Yes. 
And I'm saying why are you thinking that?  The accounts are insured. 
Remember, it's the banking side of Etrade that was in disarray, not the brokerage side.
And, I'm sure the Fed will be able to add value however they can.

Furthermore, what if Etrade declares bankruptcy?
What usually happens when large companies have to do this?
Hint: Continental Airlines. Or they still around?

The answer is they stay in bankruptcy until they can get rid of all of the deadwood (so to speak) then 
they re-emerge.  But, in the meantime their still operating.

So, if Etrade declares bankruptcy, why do you think everyting will stop operating?
The shareholders will be in trouble, yes.  But, I'm not a shareholder.
enkidu
Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:14:53 AM
Re: Etrade -- accounts are insured up to 200k (or is it 500k?) under FDIC standards.  Pretty sure if they get wiped, anybody over that amount is gonna line up with the rest of 'em stockholders and debt holders for money, and that I recall was the major issue at stake for people with accounts at Etrade.
memorableproducts
Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:36:41 AM

[QUOTE=enkidu]Re: Etrade -- accounts are insured up to 200k (or is it 500k?) under FDIC standards.  Pretty sure if they get wiped, anybody over that amount is gonna line up with the rest of 'em stockholders and debt holders for money, and that I recall was the major issue at stake for people with accounts at Etrade.[/QUOTE]

Which Accounts?  Banking or Brokerage?

Again, I refer you to my last post.
What if Etrade declares bankruptcy. Do all operations cease?
No, operations continue within the bankruptcy.
Their primary function was (and still is ) trading accounts. 
And, I expect to be able to keep trading.
But, it's the banking side that has issues.
bcraig73450
Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:20:59 PM
Has anyone had any experience with MB Trading?
fpetry
Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:58:04 PM
QUOTE (bcraig73450)
Has anyone had any experience with MB Trading?

bcraig, I have extensive experience with MB Trading.  I trumpeted the firm quite a few times on this forum past few years.  MB by far is the best broker I have ever used.  It is direct access and FAST.  On liquid stocks when I click the buy/sell button I get onscreen execution verification in about 1/4 second or less, no joke.  About every other fill is better than my entry or limit price by about one cent.  Barron's rated it several times as THE fastest and most reliable online broker.  Fees are only $1 per trade per 100 shares up to 500 shares, then only .50/100 shares over 500, i.e. $1/100 shares, $3/300 shares, $7.50/1000 shares.   This is great for entering and exiting postions in pieces.  They have other trading fee plans for special needs.   Drawback is that MB does not have lots of bells and whistles, i.e. they don't have online learning tools....such as teaching difference between market order and limit order:)  Not open 24 hours but they have longer premarket and after market hours by about an hour compared to other brokers.  When  you call customer service you get a live knowledgeable rep in less than a minute.  Oh, phone call in orders have zero extra fee.    Their ticker feed is tick by tick, unlike most other popular online brokers.
bcraig73450
Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:36:11 PM
thanks, fpetry

This the info I am looking for.
funnymony
Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:00:25 PM

mb trading,

direct access rates
no data fees
competive money market rates
fewer bells and whistles
no futures
software easier to use.
mmlmedv
Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 8:38:12 AM
I like MB trading for their variety of orders. For example, you can enter an order to buy a stock at a buy stop, set a stop loss, a trailing stop. And all of these is in one order.
MB trading does not provide any charting at all.
smoon777
Posted : Friday, June 27, 2008 7:25:00 PM
I have been a long time eTrade customer.  eTrade is a good company and I have a variety of trading accounts, rollovers, IRAs, banking, CDs, etc.  Full service and I have been fat, dumb and happy.

Along came these Worden guys with Blocks and this enticing idea about managing a trading account within Blocks.  Myself and others asked when Blocks might interface with eTrade and the response has been.... let eTrade know that you as a customer would like them to open up an API to Worden.  Having experienced eTrade's lack of personal touch until you threaten to move your accounts elsewhere, I read that as fat chance for eTrade to open up to a 3rd party.

So being a curious guy, I set a trading account up Ameritrade just to see how the integration with Worden works.  15 minutes filling out the on-line form, hit the button and a chunk of change moved from eTrade to Ameritrade in seconds.  I was impressed because most of the e-move money transactions I have experienced with eTrade and other electronic accounts took days.  Ameritrade..... 17 nano-seconds and my trading ability was ready to roll.

So I explored Ameritrade and found an environment that is built for trader/investors.  Many more tools available than eTrade.  Much more information.  Lots of side services.  Have a question?  Very good info available.  Training videos.  Webcasts.  So while eTrade is a great all purpose bank, my immediate reaction was that when comparing the two, Ameritrade is heads and shoulders above eTrade and  is built for  traders.

I don't want to sound like an Ameritrade salesman.  I am not.  I am a guy who would occassionally like to sign on my broker account and execute level II trades while at work behind a fort knox firewall.  eTrade's architecture makes that VERY difficult.  When I set up my Ameritrade account, I logged on to my account from work and all of the web and Java trading tools worked without making any tweaks in IE settings or proxy settings.  Wow.

As a guy who works hard all day, comes home and used to spend hours every night sifting trade data, market data, etc., I am real close to the point that I have created 4 special Blocks layouts that screen 4 conditions I am looking for.  Stocks, ETFs, mutual funds for my longer term investments, and industry poppers.

I have maintained lots of Excel side tools over the years using XLQ to pull data and and make all my calculations.  With Blocks I am finding that there is very little if anything that I need to maintain outside of Blocks.  I can calculate about anything I need for fundimental or technical green lights. All of my market condition indicators and sector/industry indicators are there in graph form. 

So as a guy who works hard during the day and would rather drive out to the lake after work and sail my boat around for a few hours, I am now seeing my life being greatly simplified thanks to Blocks, especially with a direct connection to AmeriTrade for making trades or resetting stops easily.

Moral of the story..... I was an eTrade bigot and now I see that there are other options  I should have jumped on a few years ago.  Ameritrade is superior for EOD traders.  Blocks integration into Ameritrade make my life much easier.  I am a happy guy.

The whole idea of successful investing is having a repeatable process that you follow and ensure predicable investing.  A much better position to be in is having a FLEXIBLE repeatable process that you can adapt to changing market conditions.  I have found what makes that come home for me and that is Blocks with hooks into a brokerage account for trade execution.

My goal is 15 minutes a night to manage a variety of investments.  I will get there but I am a kid in a candy shop right now exploring more options than I can shake a stick at.

When I retire for the 2nd time in 579 days, I will then be using Blocks in realtime.  For now, EOD has become MUCH easier.  Thanks Worden guys.

fpetry
Posted : Friday, June 27, 2008 7:41:57 PM
QUOTE (mmlmedv)
I like MB trading for their variety of orders. For example, you can enter an order to buy a stock at a buy stop, set a stop loss, a trailing stop. And all of these is in one order.
MB trading does not provide any charting at all.

Good point about  MB Trading lacking charting.  But that's easily rectified as quite a few MB Trading users such as myself use Medved Quote Tracker  charting/quote service which seamlessly integrates with MB Trading's platform and others such as Interactive Brokers, Ameritrade, etc.   Quote Tracker is free but I use the reasonable  yearly $60 fee to get extra ticker symbols I can add to the streamer. 
davidjohnhall
Posted : Friday, June 27, 2008 7:55:04 PM

Great post, smoon.  Good luck with that 2nd retirment!

David John Hall
memorableproducts
Posted : Friday, June 27, 2008 8:38:48 PM

QUOTE (smoon777)
So I explored Ameritrade and found an environment that is built for trader/investors.  Many more tools available than eTrade.  Much more information.  Lots of side services.  Have a question?  Very good info available.  Training videos.  Webcasts.  So while eTrade is a great all purpose bank, my immediate reaction was that when comparing the two, Ameritrade is heads and shoulders above eTrade and  is built for  traders.

I don't want to sound like an Ameritrade salesman.  I am not.  I am a guy who would occassionally like to sign on my broker account and execute level II trades while at work behind a fort knox firewall.  eTrade's architecture makes that VERY difficult.  When I set up my Ameritrade account, I logged on to my account from work and all of the web and Java trading tools worked without making any tweaks in IE settings or proxy settings.  Wow.

You must not be using Power Etrade Pro.

You can easy place orders from the level 2 screen (which as I understand is better than level 2 --
I think most people know this as total view but Etrade's name for it is MarketDepth)

New features in Etrade Pro include the Excel Spreadsheet Manager.
You can save your imports in this to your hard drive and manipulate the text files however you like.
You can import watch list or review historical data on any one stock (even minute data going far back
in time and intervals of minute data include 1min, 3min, 5min, 15min, 30min, 60min etc)

The latest Etrade Pro feature is the industry sectors window where you can see all industries and
subindustries and their %increases or % decreases for 1 day, 5 days, 13 weeks and 13weeks vs the
S&P.  You can click on any subindustry an immediate pull up a customized watchlist of all the
stocks in that subindustry group.

An old feature that I can use is their charting services (all sorts of customizations available here)
I could can view 1, 3, 5, 15, 30, and 60 mins or Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
I can customize these charts to go far back in time (haven't tested the limit yet).
I can post all sorts of moving averages, stochastics, macd histograms or macds,Williams %R,
etc., etc, etc.

Also, I can do direct access to various ECN of my choice if I want to.

All of this is free of charge of course as long as you are an active trader (at least 30 trades per quarter)

No wonder Etrade doesn't have opensource to 3rd parties. Their programmers have thought
of alot of ways to be self-sustaining.

Thanks,
mp
memorableproducts
Posted : Friday, June 27, 2008 8:41:00 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention they also have great training videos as well as excellent
online seminars for such things as technical analysis  -- no charge (not even if you are
not an Etrade customer -- I think.)
memorableproducts
Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:29:12 AM

I had forgotten that I had already posted this on this thread:

QUOTE (memorableproducts)

Everything Scott says he can do with IB, I can do with Etrade Pro.

I can trade from charts simply by double clicking on the price bar or I can trade from my watchlist simply by double clicking in the cell for the ask price if I'm buying or double clicking in the cell for the bid price if I'm shorting and in either case, everything is already filled out for me on the order screen e.g. shares (which I can predefine), current ask (or bid) price ready execute on limit (or I can change the order type if I wish).

There is also a safety feature which you can turn on or off called the preview window which will enable you to catch any mistakes you may have made in your order before you execute it.

As far as charts are concern, I have numerous technical studies at my disposal including being able to draw trend lines on my charts, Williams %R, advance/decliners, slow, fast and full stochastics, MacdH, Accumalation/Distribution, simple moving averages, linear weight moving average and many many more technicals I would never use.

Newly added features includes charts for options, implied volatity for options, and an integrated Excel Spreadsheet which allows you to import your current watchlist and trade from the spreadsheet.
You can also import historical data into the spreadsheet for any stock symbol.

Everything in Power Etrade Pro is extremely intuitive and you don't have to switch to a different facility to trade from charts only.
We get on the spot streaming news that updates on its own for any particular symbol your cursor may happen to be on in your watchlist at that time.

Conditional orders are a snap and are very intuitive to set up and can do everything Scott says IB's platforn can do.

In order to use Power Etrade Pro free of charge, you have to trade at least 30 times per quarter.

I'm sure I've left alot of things out but I think that maybe I've given you a pretty good picture of how good this platform is.

Oh and we have a New Highs/New Lows ticker window, of course nasdaq levell II and open book and market depth (which I think is the same as TotalView, not sure).

We have direct access or automatic thru the broker order submissions

etc. etc. etc.
Well you get the picture.

Thanks for your time,
mp

memorableproducts
Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:56:14 AM

Here the lastest tool that has been added to ETrade Pro (Backtester/Strategy Scanner):

agm32
Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2008 11:44:09 PM
smoon77, thank you for the post on switching to a broker that Blocks uses. I have been trying blocks and was curious about Ameritrade and IB. I am not a happy camper with Etrade. I think the customer service is horrible and with my latest series of Etrade problems, I have had enough. I googled "etrade problems" and now see I am not the only one that has problems with them. Your post has opened my eyes to a better broker that works with Blocks and I appreciate it.