Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Relative Strenth PCF - formula structure Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
janmart
Posted : Friday, October 16, 2009 4:30:19 PM
I'm trying to build a PCF for measuring  the relative strength of a stock versus the SP500 (or any anchor symbol) over a defined period of time.  I see there is a system PCF 'Relative Strength 1-Yr (vs SP-500), and if I could see the formula I could figure this out, but the formula does not show in the program.

Thus, can you offer insight into how this PCF can be built (to compare versus any anchor and using any time-period).  The structure is really what I'm interested in.

Thanks.
StockGuy
Posted : Friday, October 16, 2009 4:33:46 PM

Administration

You can't do this in a PCF because the PCF language doesn't allow you to reference the price of a specific stock.
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, October 16, 2009 4:41:16 PM

Worden Trainer

janmart,
Welcome to the forums. A very good foundation for learning how to use TeleChart can be gained by reviewing the following:

If you are new to TeleChart READ THIS FIRST!

I do not know of a practical automated method of writing Relative Strength PCFs in TeleChart. You may wish to review the following for a semi-automated technique for creating Relative Strength in a Personal Criteria Formula:

Indexes in PCF's
RSMA PCFs

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
nomad_tx
Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:22:50 AM
How can I see My watchlists for stockfinder in telechart?
I can see my watchlists for telechart in stockfinder.

Thanks. 
BRGZZ
Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:21:01 AM
Regarding RS: can this be done by using a SORT of the RS indicator on a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly basis.
Add RS indicator to chart, set chart to daily/weekly/yearly/ whichever you want, and right click the RS indicator heading, then select 'Sort By'.  The results seem to vary when viewed in decending order.
Any suggestions? Thanks
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:32:37 AM

Worden Trainer

nomad_tx,
I do not know of a way to see your StockFinder Watchlists in TeleChart.

BRGZZ,
The Relative Strength Indicator in TeleChart is just the ratio of the Price of the Active Symbol to the Price of the Relative Strength Symbol. As a result, an Indicator Sort by the Value of RS would be pretty much the same as an Indicator Sort by the Value of Price.

"Relative Strength Graph - The relative strength (RS) graph is generated by comparing the relative price performance of any two items (such as two stocks or a stock and a market index). If the RS line is ascending, then the active symbol is out-performing the comparison symbol. If the RS line is descending, the active symbol is under-performing the comparison symbol. If you plot the RS graph in the Top (price) window, keep in mind that the position of the RS line relative to price is insignificant since the two lines are plotted on independent scales."

So you might want to try sorting by Visual Value or Visual Change, but you wouldn't want to Sort by Actual Value or Visual Difference.

Sort by Visual Value to find new highs and lows in price and indicators
Sort by indicator or price movement using Visual Change sorts

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles