Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Sort by Visual Value to find new highs and lows in price and indicators Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Doug_H
Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2004 4:19:57 PM

Worden Trainer

Author: Doug Holden

Press the Play button on the bottom of the video to start.

keywords: visual value indicator sort MoneyStream TSV price time frame zoom chart scale indicator

- Doug
Teaching Online!

To view this video you must have Macromedia Flash Player and Microsoft Internet Explorer 5+
mohtc
Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:06:31 AM
This is indeed a very powerful too, and I use it a lot.  For example, I set the price scale to Tight (pre-set to 5% per horizontal line), then sort by the visual slope of a linear regression of price, to find out which stocks are climbing at the fastest rate (hit the home key), sliding sideways or have changed direction recently (scroll down to item 250 of 500), and the stocks that are in the steepest decline (500 of 500).

I have recently watched the MACD video and added the exponential histogram version of MACD 5,20,30, and found out that I cannot compare the MACD of one stock to that of another except by using visual sort, because they have different scales.

How does TC2007 determine the minimum and maximum values so it can place the max at the top of the window, and the min at the bottom?

Is there a formula to calculate the visual value of indicators, to use in easyscans?

I wanted to set up PCF to detect when MACD (exponential histogram) 5,20,30 is within the top 10% visually, and another to detect when MACD is within the bottom 10% visually.  

Then I could use the MACD PCF's in easyscans that I have set up to look at Stoc 5,3,2 (highest 10%; lowest 10%) AND price above $1 AND avg volume above the bottom 10% AND etc...

This will avoid having to UNFLAG ALL IN SYSTEM, visual sort all stocks by MACD, Flag the top 10%, Flag the bottom 10%, switch to ALL FLAGGED SYMBOLS, and run my easyscans on this watchlist...
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:28:24 AM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (mohtc)
How does TC2007 determine the minimum and maximum values so it can place the max at the top of the window, and the min at the bottom?

When creating the Scale, the program most likely keeps track of the minimum and maximum values by creating a variable for each and just scrolling through the visible portion of the chart and setting the minimum variable whenever a lower value is encountered and the maxmimum variable whenever a higher value is encountered. These values are accessible directly in StockFinder, but not in TeleChart. But even though these values are accessible in StockFinder, the values are for the Active Symbol only and would not useful for a list of symbols (although there are plenty of quick ways to calculate this information on your own in StockFinder).

QUOTE (mohtc)
Is there a formula to calculate the visual value of indicators, to use in easyscans?

It would be theoretically possible to do so using the techniques described in Min Max PCFs for Zoom 9 (20 Bars) and Zoom 8 (29 Bars) by using something like the following Stochastic formula (you need to substitute actual PCFs):

Understanding Stochastics

100 * (PCF for Current Value - PCF for Minimum Value) / (PCF for Maximum Value - PCF for Minimum Value)

The practicality of the approach for even Zoom 9 is rather questionable however as the formulas will be very long and siginificantly increase the time it takes to update your PCFs. While PCFs for the other Zooms are possible, I will not be constructing any templates for comparisons of more than 32 values.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles