Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Trend efficiency Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
thnkbigr
Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 12:53:09 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Other than 

ADX

Efficiency ratio

Vertical Horizantal Filter VHF

are thaere any other indicators or methods to measure the trendyness of a stock 

My goal is to avoid stocks that have a tendency and hiistory to zig zag back and forth too much 

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 1:07:05 PM

Worden Trainer

RSI, Stochastics, MACD, OBV, and even moving averages could all to some extent be considered trend indicators. I am sure there are others I am missing.

Moving topic to the Stock and Market Talk forum where other traders are more likely to see it and comment.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:50:21 AM

Bruce, of course, can't give advice.

But if you've had any math at all you should be familiar with Linear Regression. Specifically Slope and R-Squared. In your case, R-Squared would address stock's tendencies to zig/zag.

If you find two or more stocks with R-Squared values you can live with you can then sort by Slope and focus on those that are outperforming the others.

Just my two cents. Gotta go. New barista today, and she's CUTE.

Good luck.

bcochrane
Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 6:38:35 PM

At the risk of tooting my own horn, here is a suggestion:

http://forums.worden.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=68222

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 10:57:35 AM

Bookmarked bcochrane's post. (Read it once, but it's Sunday morning, I'm relaxing with coffee, and the Barista is cute, so I will read it again later).

Bruce is right - it is creative. And being a programmer and anaylst my first instinct is to develop my own algorithms.

But I'm also the laziest person in the world. Linear Regression is very intuitive, you don't need an advanced math degree. Just a few minutes Googling or bugging one of your math geek friends and you will know enough to use the tool for trading.

Plus, it's pure, universal, math. Nothing to do with techincal analysis per se. And five minutes Googling will tell you the R-Squared values that are statistically significant for the number of bars you look back.

And given relatively even R-Squared values, the Slope will tell you the recent magnitude move.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm always looking to innovate, and am a fan of continuous process improvement.

I'm also a fan of not reinventing the wheel. (Unless MY wheel kicks ass ;)

There are a few articles out there on Linear Regression in the context of trading, but it's time to flirt with the barista. I'll leave the reader to do the leg work. Maybe later if there's any interest I can come back and share some sources and resources.

Good luck!

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 3:08:40 PM

diceman
Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 10:28:07 PM

+DMI  or  (+DMI) - (-DMI)

Thanks

traderc
Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:43:14 PM

You can look at the number of days above a moving average and sort your watch list colum in decending order by number of days for the stongest trend. there is a PCF on the board that provides this.

just a thought.

rctrade

traderc
Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 6:51:20 AM

Sorry this is exactly what bcochrane suggested and developed. See his link.......rctrade