New version 18 available now

Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: UnclePennybags
About
User Name: UnclePennybags
Groups: Member
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 872
[0.30% of all post / 2.94 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Historical Volatility
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:49:59 PM

Cool. Thanks for the links. Dusting off some old Connors research. Might need HV. Might not. Stay tuned.

Topic: Historical Volatility
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:12:55 PM

Bruce, I think I asked a few years back, but I'm old. :)

Does TC2000 have a Historical Volatility indicator, either off-the-shelf, or a PCF?

I'd be looking for a 100-day HV. Here's how Larry Connors defines Historical Volatility...

Topic: Elder Impulse
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:02:17 PM

Bruce, I know you did the implementation on this this, but it was my idea.

Can I get a cut for each of these copies? ;)

And, we need to come up with a catchier name than ...

"Elder Impulse System implemented as a sort of OHLC Bar with a colored body like a candle."

Just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Topic: UserName List?
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 1:24:22 PM

Thanks, Bruce ... I might just do that.

Crazy busy today, and I don't plan to unveil the new name & account until Michael's Chicago trip anyway.

I actually have a list of decent names in mind, but one is AWESOME. I don't think anyone is going to think of it before I grab it, because frankly, I'M awesome.

Have a great week. Not sure how much TC2000-ing I can do the next few days.

Stay tuned.

Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 12:33:25 PM

Yeah, good news and bad.

I found it, but ... if you've ever tried to use it it would take days to scroll through, and unless I missed something there's no way to do a search.

You can only jump ahead a handful of pages at a time, and there are a bazillion usernames.

Is there a quick way to tell if a username is already taken, short of contacting customer service? (I don't want anyone stealing my idea because, frankly, it's AWESOME).

Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 3:15:30 PM

Never mind, Bruce.

Found it ...

Topic: Trend efficiency
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 3:08:40 PM

Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:32:31 AM

Happy Monday Bruce,

After Micheal and the Worden gang come to Chicago May 18th & 19th I'm probably going to start fresh with a new account and username.

Once upon a time, I seem to recall scrolling through a list of TC2000 usernames. Am I crazy? What's the easiest/best way to view that list? 

I have several ideas for my new username - just want to make sure they're not already taken.

Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 10:57:35 AM

Bookmarked bcochrane's post. (Read it once, but it's Sunday morning, I'm relaxing with coffee, and the Barista is cute, so I will read it again later).

Bruce is right - it is creative. And being a programmer and anaylst my first instinct is to develop my own algorithms.

But I'm also the laziest person in the world. Linear Regression is very intuitive, you don't need an advanced math degree. Just a few minutes Googling or bugging one of your math geek friends and you will know enough to use the tool for trading.

Plus, it's pure, universal, math. Nothing to do with techincal analysis per se. And five minutes Googling will tell you the R-Squared values that are statistically significant for the number of bars you look back.

And given relatively even R-Squared values, the Slope will tell you the recent magnitude move.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm always looking to innovate, and am a fan of continuous process improvement.

I'm also a fan of not reinventing the wheel. (Unless MY wheel kicks ass ;)

There are a few articles out there on Linear Regression in the context of trading, but it's time to flirt with the barista. I'll leave the reader to do the leg work. Maybe later if there's any interest I can come back and share some sources and resources.

Good luck!

Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:50:21 AM

Bruce, of course, can't give advice.

But if you've had any math at all you should be familiar with Linear Regression. Specifically Slope and R-Squared. In your case, R-Squared would address stock's tendencies to zig/zag.

If you find two or more stocks with R-Squared values you can live with you can then sort by Slope and focus on those that are outperforming the others.

Just my two cents. Gotta go. New barista today, and she's CUTE.

Good luck.