Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Super Commitee Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
wwrightjuly4
Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 2:57:51 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I am enjoying a nice move up, here in the markets.

Does anyone have a strategy or opinion on how they plan to handle the volitility that is likely to re-enter the market as soon as the "super commitee" breaks from silence.

It is going to rock the market, I would think.

I trade more or less on a weekly basis, and plan to take some profits soon but....I am always tempted to ride the wave (greed settles takes hold)  and have been slapped around a great deal since June trying to swing trade w/ not too much success. 

Bill Baker
Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:17:43 AM
Do you really think that the supercommitee is going to fix this mess?
Who are they going to fool? I think not the markets.
diceman
Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:14:59 AM

I’d be more worried about markets being impacted by Europe.

The problem with the super committee is, it’s the same folks with a different name.

Thanks
diceman

Gazork
Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 11:00:05 PM
I think that the market has factored in nothing significant happening via our government until next fall, after the elections, company earnings aside. I also think the market will need to see a regime change and would not respond favorably to Mr. Obama's return. :) No political commentary intended other than that the system is not designed to handle the kinds of problems we have. And none of us would be able to do a better job in that quagmire.

I agree that Europe and the banks are much more of a problem, along with possible geo-political/military strife that is always on the back burner, hopefully remaining cold.

I always expect -- and hope for -- volatility now and plan for it by always having lots of cash on hand and doing plenty of intraday trading, with smaller positions but then, I can be at the screen a lot. After selloffs, I just look for obvious support areas in the indexes and start scaling in long very slowly to stocks that have done well in recent earnings and are in favor. For me, short term trading has become the safest and most conservative type of 'investing', when done with conservative position sizing and some willingness to hold on for a while. I always strive now to not let my stock 'inventory' get too high lest I get crushed overnight by the bad news du jour.
alindsley
Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 3:43:18 PM

FWIW ww here is my plan as the sp-500 continues to climb up the waves
img715.imageshack.us/img715/1337/sp500d.png
I just follow the trend and the lines which the mkt puts forth for us. Although it would not surprise me to see price go above my top trendline this time, thus creating a new line for me to follow. Looking more like these lines then img171.imageshack.us/img171/2164/elliottwavechart.png I see us presently heading to the final red (iii) prior to green [c] on this 2nd chart. Don't ask me why. I've just had lots of luck using this as a guideline over the years as a stock comes off the extreme bottom from a bear mkt..

FWIW! I'm presently adding to JVA as it retests its bottom heading to impulse wave 3 img715.imageshack.us/img715/1047/jva.png  in for the long haul, with stops below c,2. This is my only holding presently.

luck to ya
art
thekubiaks
Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2011 9:11:29 AM
QUOTE (alindsley)
FWIW ww here is my plan as the sp-500 continues to climb up the waves
img715.imageshack.us/img715/1337/sp500d.png
I just follow the trend and the lines which the mkt puts forth for us. Although it would not surprise me to see price go above my top trendline this time, thus creating a new line for me to follow. Looking more like these lines then img171.imageshack.us/img171/2164/elliottwavechart.png I see us presently heading to the final red (iii) prior to green [c] on this 2nd chart. Don't ask me why. I've just had lots of luck using this as a guideline over the years as a stock comes off the extreme bottom from a bear mkt..

FWIW! I'm presently adding to JVA as it retests its bottom heading to impulse wave 3 img715.imageshack.us/img715/1047/jva.png  in for the long haul, with stops below c,2. This is my only holding presently.

luck to ya
art

I'm not quite following your logic, I have always been curious about Elliot waves.  I agree we are in somewhat of a range but  there seems to many macro issues to try and trade this market.    Using your charts, what is your predictions for this week??

On another note, I am getting a chuckle from CNBC trying to show this market selloff as a Greek issue.  How about "Market sliding due to another corrupt unregulated bank going bankrupt (MF Global).

Cheers
alindsley
Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2011 9:28:08 AM

I'm afraid I am not a predictor friend. Especially not short term at any rate.  I simply watch what the market does and attempt to trade accordingly as best I can. I have observed, howver, over the years, whatever seems to be happening throughout the world usually works to make the magic of the waves work. EW is an intriguing study which has as vast a discussion as CNBC <g>. And the higher the volume the better the waves work. But that'sjust me and my style..
strudle
Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2011 9:07:13 PM
Any one thinkng this committee will produce anything BUT new taxes and fees (more revenue) will be very disappointed. Too many of these guys have spent most of their lives living on the Federal dole, to get anything out of them but new taxes and fees is wishful thinking..
If you hired a carpenator to build a submarine due you think it would be built out of steel? All these clowns know how to do is TAX and SPEND. They all avoided Econ 101 during their days studing Political Science. Now that's  an oxymoran if I have heard one.
If we want something different you have to get some new heads in the place.