Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

GM IPO? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Tiger1220
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:59:26 PM

Would be interested on what others feel about GM coming back into the market.
Apsll
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:37:57 PM

Welcome back Tiger.:

As for GM; Not much info on it right now. I think that price is around .30

Sorry not much to say about them right now, I just wanted to welcome you back to the forums...
Tiger1220
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:34:14 PM

Good to be back to some "colder" temps...the 90's  ...

Not so much interested in the price but from an investment point. Like when UPS went public it never really went anywhere. If memory is right it cam out around 65  and is still there. Been up and down but never did much better. I would guess GM will be jumped on at the offering and then will go down after its has been on the exchange for few weeks. We all know that who ever releases the offering will be the ones making the big bucks on it. I wouldn't believe that it will double from its offering price on the first day like some of the dot Com's did back in the day. But it will be interesting, I hear that it may be in November. 

I got allot of catching up to do on the forum. May take a few weeks to see what has being going on, Also got to make some money and refill my account from all the spending I have been doing. Oh well, easy come easy go,

Thanks for the welcomeback,, good to be home.
thekubiaks
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:08:10 PM
Let me ask you a question.....  Do an experiment....  Over the next week, count the number of new GM vehicles that you see driving around in your part of the country.  I have been doing this for the last year.  In my part of the country (Ford country), I am seeing maybe 3 - 5 new Fords and GM's a day, that is in a town of 1 million.    I travel alot and the story is the same all around the country.    The only exception to this was in Houston  last week, I saw more new cars than usual but that is in a more thriving part of the US and in a town of 5.5 million.

So, all this happy talk on TV about what a huge recovery the auto industry is making I ask the question "Who is buying all of these cars that you say you are selling??  Obama??    The Prez must have a million new Escalades in DC.

With that in mind, would you buy a company when the actual sales data doesn't correlate with reality??  

I'll believe the recovery when I start seeing new car tags all around the country.
3rdeye
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:54:21 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

QUOTE (thekubiaks)

I'll believe the recovery when I start seeing new car tags all around the country.

I'll believe it when I see the jobs.
diceman
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:06:15 PM
QUOTE (thekubiaks)
Let me ask you a question.....  Do an experiment....  Over the next week, count the number of new GM vehicles that you see driving around in your part of the country.  I have been doing this for the last year.  In my part of the country (Ford country), I am seeing maybe 3 - 5 new Fords and GM's a day, that is in a town of 1 million.    I travel alot and the story is the same all around the country.    The only exception to this was in Houston  last week, I saw more new cars than usual but that is in a more thriving part of the US and in a town of 5.5 million.

So, all this happy talk on TV about what a huge recovery the auto industry is making I ask the question "Who is buying all of these cars that you say you are selling??  Obama??    The Prez must have a million new Escalades in DC.

With that in mind, would you buy a company when the actual sales data doesn't correlate with reality??  

I see Volts all the time.
(yeah, its on the side of a battery, but I do see Volts)

To be honest Im a little embarrassed, I should have better information.
I am one of the owners of the company.

Thanks
diceman
3rdeye
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:02:19 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

[/QUOTE]

I see Volts all the time.
(yeah, its on the side of a battery, but I do see Volts)

To be honest Im a little embarrassed, I should have better information.
I am one of the owners of the company.

Thanks
diceman
[/QUOTE]

Must have exciting to be there for the ten foot test drive.  I understand it was  "very smooth".
johnlc
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:03:48 PM
If Toyota keeps "helping"  GM and Ford should rebound when the rest of the economy does.   Hopefully a BIG change in D.C. will help. 

Will the economy be able to recover quicker from the housing meltdown or from the Big O?   Stick around to find out.
ben2k9
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:24:58 PM

I know plenty of people who won't buy a GM just out of principle. 
diceman
Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:28:30 PM
QUOTE (ben2k9)

Well, by law we have to buy healthcare.

Why not by law GM?

Thanks
diceman
ben2k9
Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 8:48:19 AM

I'm sure they'd love to do it if they could get way with it!
thekubiaks
Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 12:43:45 PM
Speaking of Golf carts, the Volt is selling for $41,000 ???  Do you think they will sell any of these??  I think those that will buy something like that will go with a cheaper, tested  Prius.

As for the GM IPO, I might "Gunsling it" and buy 10,000 shares at the IPO open, take a quick double when the dumb money comes in,  and then dump it before wall street pulls the rug out.
realitycheck
Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 10:06:12 PM
Don't underestimate the stupidity of the American public ...

If only one tenth of the folks stupid enough to vote for Obama ... are stupid enough to buy a Volt ...

It will be the best year that Obama Motors has ever had ...

johnlc
Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 10:13:39 PM
QUOTE (ben2k9)

Just what principle might that be?     Never owned anything but GM,never will.   Sure as hell  would never own a rice burner.    I'll leave those purchases up to all you liberal, do gooder, tree hugger,  left winger, cry babies.    

Yeah, that's right, you want to live in the USA, receive all the goodies provided us, but you'll  send your money overseas when you  purchase cars.   That's as politically correct as I can get.   Don't come back with purchasing clothes, electronics, and whatever else that is manufactured in the far east.   We all know that there isn't much other choice.    We all know that not too  much is not manufactured here, thanks to the EPA,, OSHA,  and all the regulations that our wonderful government sets forth to prevent economic growth and employment.   What we're talking about is buying cars that are manufactured here, profits kept here, and employment here.     So go ahead and buy that Jap Crap,  and hopefully your fuel injection system  fails wide open.   When it does, just make sure a Hong Kong Special is infront of you.
funnymony
Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 11:21:16 PM

fyi-those "rice burners" are built in the usa these days.

as for the gm ipo, i might by some at the offering price if i could.
ben2k9
Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 11:27:17 PM

QUOTE (johnlc)
QUOTE (ben2k9)

Just what principle might that be?     Never owned anything but GM,never will.   Sure as hell  would never own a rice burner.    I'll leave those purchases up to all you liberal, do gooder, tree hugger,  left winger, cry babies.    

Yeah, that's right, you want to live in the USA, receive all the goodies provided us, but you'll  send your money overseas when you  purchase cars.   That's as politically correct as I can get.   Don't come back with purchasing clothes, electronics, and whatever else that is manufactured in the far east.   We all know that there isn't much other choice.    We all know that not too  much is not manufactured here, thanks to the EPA,, OSHA,  and all the regulations that our wonderful government sets forth to prevent economic growth and employment.   What we're talking about is buying cars that are manufactured here, profits kept here, and employment here.     So go ahead and buy that Jap Crap,  and hopefully your fuel injection system  fails wide open.   When it does, just make sure a Hong Kong Special is infront of you.

Lots of "import" cars are built in plants here in America, plenty of "American" cars are built in Mexico.  A while back I had  Dodge Ram, had a huge BUILT IN MEXICO sticker near the VIN number inside the door panel.  Auto parts come from so many places around the globe, there's no such thing as an American made car or foreign made car.

The only thing exclusively "American made" by GM is fat union pensions and benefits, which ultimately led them to bankrupcy.  The people I'm talking about who won't buy GM out of principle are fine with buying Fords. 

As for me, I drive an Audi because I am into high quality and performance, which can't be obtained via Ford or GM.  I gave Cadillac a chance, but the CTS couldn't hold a candle to the Audi. When $2-4k of every car price goes towards legacy union entitlements, the carmakers have to cut corners in the component quality and workmanship of the car to make the price competitive...and this shows in every GM.

Capitalism is the American way.  Good ideas get rewarded.  Our brilliant products sell all over the world (ie: Apple iPhones).  Meanwhile, I will buy brilliant products from wherever they are created. 

Like it or not, we live in a global economy.  It's the law of the jungle, survival of the fittest, and GM has shown itself unfit to survive.  Propping up GM because it is politcally expedient is not the American way...it's more suitable for a country like Russia or Venezuela. 
diceman
Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:20:16 AM
"would never own a rice burner."

I use the George Foreman Grill.

Thanks
diceman

funnymony
Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:31:01 AM

QUOTE (ben2k9)
QUOTE (johnlc)
QUOTE (ben2k9)

Lots of "import" cars are built in plants here in America, plenty of "American" cars are built in Mexico.  A while back I had  Dodge Ram, had a huge BUILT IN MEXICO sticker near the VIN number inside the door panel.  Auto parts come from so many places around the globe, there's no such thing as an American made car or foreign made car.

The only thing exclusively "American made" by GM is fat union pensions and benefits, which ultimately led them to bankrupcy.  The people I'm talking about who won't buy GM out of principle are fine with buying Fords. 

As for me, I drive an Audi because I am into high quality and performance, which can't be obtained via Ford or GM.  I gave Cadillac a chance, but the CTS couldn't hold a candle to the Audi. When $2-4k of every car price goes towards legacy union entitlements, the carmakers have to cut corners in the component quality and workmanship of the car to make the price competitive...and this shows in every GM.

Capitalism is the American way.  Good ideas get rewarded.  Our brilliant products sell all over the world (ie: Apple iPhones).  Meanwhile, I will buy brilliant products from wherever they are created. 

Like it or not, we live in a global economy.  It's the law of the jungle, survival of the fittest, and GM has shown itself unfit to survive.  Propping up GM because it is politcally expedient is not the American way...it's more suitable for a country like Russia or Venezuela. 

the problem with german cars is you need a german mechanic. lol.

i've been driving a nissan 300zx twin turbo for 15 years. as soon a somebody comes out with better "affordable" sports car, i'll consider buying one.
Tiger1220
Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:14:53 AM

thekubiaks.....As for the GM IPO, I might "Gunsling it" and buy 10,000 shares at the IPO open, take a quick double when the dumb money comes in,  and then dump it before wall street pulls the rug out.

funnymony......as for the gm ipo, i might by some at the offering price if i could.

Thats right funnymoney....IF I COULD...Friday an India company called MakeMyTrip came public and "went up" nearly 90% on the first day. 5 million shares offered for $14 and it closed at 25.12 The stock opened at 26.87 and had a range for the day of 24.60 to 27.00.

I would bet GM will be the same thing. The only ones making the big money will be JPMorgan and Morgan Stanley,the lead underwriters. 

Fear and greed drive the market. I fear greed will make people afraid they will miss out on GM and they will buy the stock.

Given a chance to buy GM at $1 per share as I did with Ford, it would be a no-brainer. Plenty of up side and little downside. But anything above that I would have to wait and see how things play out.

thekubiaks
Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:10:39 AM
QUOTE (ben2k9)

Well said !!! 

by the way,  my Toyota Tundra was made by Americans in San Antonio, my Honda Accord was made by Americans in Marysville, OH, and my Ford Exploder that I gladly got rid of (went through three transmissions in 100,000 miles) was built by Americans and Mexicans according to the stickers.
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:13:07 AM

QUOTE (johnlc)
QUOTE (ben2k9)

Are you sure that you are living on planet Earth?

The worst car I ever owned was a piece of #### Camero.

As for IPO's in general I would say to use caution. Just like the penny stocks they can be very unpredictable. 

For those that think the bleeding hearts are giving to much away to the "needy" just imagine this little scenario... The very banks that mislead folks into risky mortgages are now kicking the un-employed middle class American to the curb. Yes out into the street and what do the banks get? well for starters they get about three years of "Interest" not "Principle" on this bad loan. Now they sell these low price properties to their rich friends to then rent them out to the same bunch that were kicked out of them and when Real-estate turns around then they will kick them out once again and sell at the top. Legal Capitalism yes, is it moral? I will leave it up to you. Is it the fault of the opportunistic investor that middle class Joe lost his job and his bank would not negotiate with him? no it is not. Is it right that the government will help the failing auto industry but not poor middle class Joe?? You tell me...

tomson10
Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2010 12:48:16 PM

I'll tell you this...

Congress once again has duped the public in an effort to justify the Wall Street Bailout they readily passed without restrictions of setting parameters before turning the control of $700 billion dollars over to one person. They insist on calling the line of credit the auto industry is seeking a “bailout”, it is not, They have already placed stipulations on it, and it must be paid back. The auto companies are not going out of business, they have established factories all over the world – and if they want to sell their vehicles in the United States, they will pay it back or the government will undoubtedly place tariffs on the vehicles exported to the United States from their overseas factories until the money is retrieved.

A Bailout, is what Congress gave Wall Street. Money that will take our children’s children years to pay off. We are leaving them a deficit caused by greed and mismanagement of those we placed in a position of trust. This money, to the tune of $700 billion dollars does not have to be paid back. It was approved to bailout the rich with NO stipulations. Regardless of the intent to forestall foreclosures, and salvage pension investments, it can be used anyway the handlers choose.

The trivial investments by pension plans and senior citizens investments in stocks were a mere drop in the bucket compared to what the wealthy would have lost. But Congress sold it to the public with the pretense that jobs, homes, and pensions of the middle class and seniors citizens were at stake and a catastrophic calamity was about to happen in the financial world. People were about to lose everything. Anyone who was at retirement age and had their 401k’s and other pension instruments invested in stocks at that point in life, deserved to lose them, if they hadn’t already moved them. Ever since 9/11 the stock market has been exceptionally volatile and extremely risky for someone near retirement age and knowing they were about to enter into a fixed income situation. Those willing to gamble and place themselves in this position knowingly put their life savings at risk and should have realized the stakes.

tllucero
Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:19:55 PM
WIll I buy the GM IPO? Well, put it this way:

Do I trust majority owner of GM (this Administration) to act in the best interests of the shareholders? Do I trust the underwriters to sell shares before day one to all willing to pay the same price? Do I expect that the IPO will go off at, say, $10, and that the first day's trading will fall between $9.50 and $11.00? In other words, do I expect a fair shake? Do I think that there will  be a zero subsidy for the Volt, and that people will pay $40,0000 to $50,000 to drive it?

No, No, no, no, no, and no. Your milage may vary.
Tiger1220
Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:58:05 AM

Well you either hate or love GM!! I guess it doesn't matter either way as long as yo can make some money off of them. 

Here is and interesting way to make some money without getting in on their IPO. I would bet that when GM goes public  the only way to get some action on it would be to buy some FORD! It would seem that Ford would also move up in the "Jet stream" of GM rocketing up on its first day. It may not move up as much but I would think that it would make a nice little profit for you. I guess you would call it a sector move. It will be interesting to see what happens in November when they say GM goes on the market.Depending on where Ford is on a chart I will be watching it and will probably day trade it.

Apsll, have you noticed how many new Camero's are out there?? I am from around the motor city and its like every other car is one of the new camero. Don't know if the are #### cameros of not. Haven't seen any sitting on the side of the road yet. We have the DREAM CRUISE this weekend and I will have to see how many are there.
Apsll
Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:12:48 AM

Hey Tiger. Yes my 1980 Camero was a dog for sure but my comments were more aimed at "jonnies" state of the Union address and to those conservative cronies.....
tllucero
Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:43:26 PM
No Camaros in Ohio. Of course, we have a Honda plant nearby. My last good car was a Ford with a Mazda engine. My last POS was a Dodge minivan. $500/months - that's repairs, not payments.
tllucero
Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:48:14 PM
Matter of fact, seen more clunkers in 2010 than I have since high school, when those students lucky enough to have a car had a used car, except for a few farmers' daughters who had to drive 100 miles/week.

Many untuned, 12+ years old, body damaged and not repaired, plastic in side windows, etc. And these are the ones that leap off the used dealers lots. Hate to think what's stuck there.