Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

How many of you here trade for a living? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
TradeToWin1
Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 10:24:40 PM
After years of trading many different methods, I have finally designed my own system that has worked to my advantage for quite some time now. I have enough capital built up now to trade full time. My question is, how many of you here trade full time? What are some of the drawbacks and other things you face while pursuing this as a career. I am not a perfect trader, but I feel confindent enough in my skills to do this full time. Just looking for some general feedback from fellow traders out there.
driger
Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 10:48:40 PM

QUOTE (TradeToWin1)
After years of trading many different methods, I have finally designed my own system that has worked to my advantage for quite some time now. I have enough capital built up now to trade full time. My question is, how many of you here trade full time? What are some of the drawbacks and other things you face while pursuing this as a career. I am not a perfect trader, but I feel confindent enough in my skills to do this full time. Just looking for some general feedback from fellow traders out there.

the main drawback? if you are are a successful trader there are no drawbacks. its the ideal profession.

i will suggest, if you are going to trade for a living, you have plenty of capital. your going to need a good money management strategy, and that means not being too overexposed to the market should lightening strike, or being under so much pressure, to turn a profit, that your emotions start affecting your trades.
jas0501
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 1:52:38 AM

QUOTE (Bigger&Better)
DJH you no nothing of trading. I have made millions trading the markets for years. I am the Bobby Fisher of investing. I come here to help others but they seem content to wallow in their own ignorance. My results are from studying some of the greats. I would give Jesse Livermore a challenge. Trading is what I do. What do you do? I don't have to compete with the big boys either. I am one of them.

No, not even close to the truth, You come here to praise your "accomplishments", berate anyone will to ask questions, berate anyone willing to offer answers, and never answer questions directed to you, or offer any insight into your "supposed methods". The only thing you accomplish is to demonstrate you're  in need of therapy and a lesson in proper manners.

intothetrade
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 7:58:13 AM
i trade full time for a living... from my experience with trading, if youre planning on day trading for a living, you need to stick to everything, never break your own rules, and start out with a minimum of $50k.. some people say $25 or 30k but i think its best to start around 50k

i dont find trading difficult but im a seasoned trader... id say the only difficult part to it, especially day trading, is sometimes not seeing your orders fill completely or missing your profit targets by a penny..

if youre just starting out, youre in for a lot of hairpulling and heartache. all the so-called pros and websites who offer to teach you are actually horrible... cough cough velez and capra

the people who do know what theyre talking about will RARELY share their entire method with you... usually because it took them a lot of time, losses, hardwork, and sacrafice to get to it and arent willing to just give it all away

heck, i like helping people out but i never give it all away

RIP bobby fischer you crazy SOB
intothetrade
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 11:29:01 AM
unless you count tax evasion! :D
driger
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 11:48:10 AM

QUOTE (intothetrade)
i trade full time for a living... from my experience with trading, if youre planning on day trading for a living, you need to stick to everything, never break your own rules, and start out with a minimum of $50k.. some people say $25 or 30k but i think its best to start around 50k

i dont find trading difficult but im a seasoned trader... id say the only difficult part to it, especially day trading, is sometimes not seeing your orders fill completely or missing your profit targets by a penny..

if youre just starting out, youre in for a lot of hairpulling and heartache. all the so-called pros and websites who offer to teach you are actually horrible... cough cough velez and capra

the people who do know what theyre talking about will RARELY share their entire method with you... usually because it took them a lot of time, losses, hardwork, and sacrafice to get to it and arent willing to just give it all away

heck, i like helping people out but i never give it all away

RIP bobby fischer you crazy SOB

i would disagree. $25-50k capital is not enough money to trade full-time and earn a good living, just merely enough to open a daytrading account.

have a bad month or a blow up, and you'll be having many a sleepless night, and soon your emotions will be affecting your trades.

i'd say you'll need closer $300,000-500,000. 90% of which should invested long term(property, cash, a diversified portfolio), of which you'll be able to draw income from which to live, while your trying to build up your trading account.
diceman
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 12:00:24 PM
You have to be careful when you hear about folks who "trade for a living".

I know someone who "trades for a living".

Well he at least is home all day and places trades during market hours.

However, his "real" income comes from a teaching pension.

Thanks
diceman

driger
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 12:22:50 PM

QUOTE (diceman)
You have to be careful when you hear about folks who "trade for a living".

I know someone who "trades for a living".

Well he at least is home all day and places trades during market hours.

However, his "real" income comes from a teaching pension.

Thanks
diceman

yes, and it should be noted about 80% of traders lose money, especially "daytraders".
cornel1810
Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:31:55 AM
LOL
cornel1810
Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:33:35 AM
LOL! so why do you guys use Telechart for?  Just to chat about it.

I guess some guys buy guns just to clean them, not to shoot them.
Tiger1220
Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:18:08 PM

And why do you come here Bigblock/cornel1810? Is it your low self-esteem or your jealous of not being able to trade sucessfully? You are the type that attacks because of your own inability to sucess in your own life so you attack others that you only wish that you could be like. I am sure that you will respond that you are a great trader but you really show that you are not by your attacks here in this form. Those in life that yell the loudest are always the most ignorant. We will all pray for your healing and hope that you will see the light by becoming a better person and you will find your life will become better for you and those around you.
driger
Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 11:06:33 AM

QUOTE (cornel1810)
LOL! so why do you guys use Telechart for?  Just to chat about it.

I guess some guys buy guns just to clean them, not to shoot them.

ummm, no. haven't had to use my guns so far.