Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Latest list but use CAUTION Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tobydad
Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:53:33 PM

I'm still not convinced that we aren't being faked out with this break out to the upside. On the other hand, I have seen some things lately that looked somewhat bullish. 

Assuming we get some further follow through with an upside breakout, here will be my list of longs. 

The rules: 
*buy in with conditional buy order above high of day after the close
*if high of day drops, adjust buy order to maintain the previous steps approach
*upon entry, set stop at one penny below most recent swing low using lbb20 as a general guide for support; lowest price of a 1-2-3 low works well
*season trade to taste and enjoy.

Be on the alert for a bull trap. This might be one. Don't get hasty. Waiting for the right trade will more than make up for missing a few so-so trades.
tobydad
Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:54:45 PM

Well I guess it would help if I went ahead and published the list...I was so enamored with my clever remarks that I forgot to post the only info anyone really cares about....;)

ANDS
APOL
BBH
BEAT
BLUD
CCC
CONN
EBS
EROC
ESI
GBNK
HOTT
KEY
KNDL
NCTY
PCBC
PNFP
SQNM
TWC
ZZ
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 11:06:34 AM

I like -

PNFP
APOL
BLUD
BEAT
TWC

These stocks I like because they meet my fundimental standards as well as strong price patterns that I am used too. There are some on the list that I just would be very cautious with. When a stock drops from $25 to $3 in less than a year then there is a reason for it.

Thanks for sharing the list TB... I will be adding four of them to my list. I already had APOL.

funnymony
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 12:40:02 AM

QUOTE (tobydad)
I'm still not convinced that we aren't being faked out with this break out to the upside.

breakout? what breakout?

tobydad
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 6:56:39 AM

funnymony,

thank you for the correction. I was careless with my use of the term. I appreciate that yyou have clarified this.
diceman
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 8:49:43 AM
"thank you for the correction. I was careless with my use of the term."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tobydad

I assume your thinking like me.
When you think "breakout" your thinking of your account.

I've made more than 100% in this rally. That's a "breakout" for me.

The SP500 didn't breakout? What a shame.

That would only interest me if all I could trade was SPY.
(fortunately that's not the case)

As far as I'm concerned this has been a wonderful "breakout".

Thanks
diceman

Apsll
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 9:26:53 AM

I see both sides. Technically the break-out will come if we break 940 on the SPX and sustain those levels. But it has been a profitable rally. since March....
dryfess
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 9:38:44 AM

Conceit, more rich in matter than in words, brags of his substance:
they are but beggars who can count their worth.

-- William Shakespeare
funnymony
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 10:02:47 AM

QUOTE (diceman)
"thank you for the correction. I was careless with my use of the term."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tobydad

I assume your thinking like me.
When you think "breakout" your thinking of your account.

I've made more than 100% in this rally. That's a "breakout" for me.

The SP500 didn't breakout? What a shame.

That would only interest me if all I could trade was SPY.
(fortunately that's not the case)

As far as I'm concerned this has been a wonderful "breakout".

Thanks
diceman

fantastic. of course if you really want to impress the board the board, tell us what your doing this week, before the righthand side of the chart, becomes the lefthand side.
diceman
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 10:52:11 AM
Yes, Yes.

I've forgotten stocks don't go up in bear markets.

Left-side, right-side? Doesn't matter.

Thanks
diceman
funnymony
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 1:52:52 PM

QUOTE (diceman)
Yes, Yes.

I've forgotten stocks don't go up in bear markets.

Left-side, right-side? Doesn't matter.

Thanks
diceman

really? you mean stocks just eventually fall out the bottom of the charts, in bear markets?

if your quoting me, post a link. i'll save you the trouble of looking. "the trend is your friend" is about as close as your going to find. and right now the short and intermidiate term trends are up.
ben2k9
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 5:27:56 PM

Perhaps this breakout?

funnymony
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 6:19:27 PM

QUOTE (ben2k9)
Perhaps this breakout?

does this mean your not loading up the on bgz anymore? lol.

http://forums.worden.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=38992
ben2k9
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 7:17:24 PM

thankfully I never did!  The market didn't act right the next day.  But thanks for refreshing my memory on that one.  :)

Looks like I'm going to need to profile some more big hitters like FIG to up my street cred in this joint.

funnymony
Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 8:39:04 PM

QUOTE (ben2k9)
thankfully I never did!  The market didn't act right the next day.  But thanks for refreshing my memory on that one.  :)

Looks like I'm going to need to profile some more big hitters like FIG to up my street cred in this joint.

there is much to be learned from that thread.

as far as the breakout goes, i guess if you zoom in far enough, you might even see a secular bull.

even with todays price action, given the volume, and the 5 month resistance level the sp-500 has yet to break "decisively" above, its a time to be cautious.
tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:41:08 AM

funnymony is correct in the comment that it is time to be cautious. This is a very dangerous area, especially with the markets we have seen over the last almost year or so. It would not surprise me if the bulls "pay a dear price" for the nice little run up we've enjoyed. 

I am not making any kind of prediction; I am just saying to please be very cautious along this area until the market makes its intentions quite clear. 

This is an area where you can get your head handed to you.
diceman
Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:49:16 AM
funnymony

Back when Tobydad posted a list of his picks. I stated that "I got it".
For the first time I finally realized what he was doing.
After being puzzled by his picks. I finally
realized the potential of cheap, beaten down stocks.
I also brought up three stocks of my own that I felt were in the "tobydad style".

These were the returns from that day.

My stocks:
AFL= +143.03
GMXR= +166.04
LNC= +137.05

Tobydads:
PQ= +236.26
FOE= +159.64
CENX= +295.63
AIB= +208.4
FAS= +107.13
BNE= +189.9
DPTR= +83.33
GMXR= +166.04
SBGI= +85.58
UCBI= +174.83
XTXI= +144.23
CACB= +28.39
HBAN= +140.48
LVS= +508.47
C= +120.96
GCI= +133.64
PACR= +32.19
SOA= +257.24
SGY= +251.15
HPY= +94.82

My stock avg: +148.70
Tobydads avg: +170.91
(hey he's better than me at this what do you want!)

You say you want me to quote you.
You don't want me putting words in your mouth.
So here's what you brought to the table in that post:
(after I copied someone on the tobydad profile)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Quote funnymony:
"lol. good luck with that."
----------------------------------------------------------

So now we have 23 picks averaging well over 100 percent.
Now I'm supposed to prove to you that this can be done?
Having a >100% return is some impossible feat that no
trader can achieve?

All you had to was buy what was listed here. 
There right in front of your face.

You see the weak imply we are just some braggers. Just putting
great results out here so others can be jealous of what great
traders we are.

Well here's what tobydad said about his picks:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote tobydad:
"I put this list out there so that, if it is a good one, others can profit."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow imagine that. Trying to help others make money.

Now Im sure people have made tons of money from the folks that tell us. This doesnt work and that doesnt work. This is flawed or thats flawed.This cant be done or that cant be done.

Maybe, just maybe they even make money from this:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Quote funnymony:
"lol. good luck with that."
----------------------------------------------------------

You see the problem is the facts don't matter if don't want them to.

By the way. Great job tobydad.
I dont have to tell you but Im a believer.

Thanks
diceman

dryfess
Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:59:52 AM

There is also this benefit in brag, that the speaker is unconsciously expressing his own ideal. Humor him by all means, draw it all out, and hold him to it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
1803-1882, American Poet, Essayist
funnymony
Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:42:50 PM

diceman,

my statement, your quoting, has nothing to do with trading bear markets, or anything else discussed in this thread.

but,you are entitled to take it anyway you want.
ben2k9
Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:25:28 PM

QUOTE (diceman)

My stocks:
AFL= +143.03
GMXR= +166.04
LNC= +137.05

Tobydads:
PQ= +236.26
FOE= +159.64
CENX= +295.63
AIB= +208.4
FAS= +107.13
BNE= +189.9
DPTR= +83.33
GMXR= +166.04
SBGI= +85.58
UCBI= +174.83
XTXI= +144.23
CACB= +28.39
HBAN= +140.48
LVS= +508.47
C= +120.96
GCI= +133.64
PACR= +32.19
SOA= +257.24
SGY= +251.15
HPY= +94.82

This list reads like the who's who of my Dragon watchlists and recent breakouts.  Putting 2 + 2 together it looks like Tobydad's search is great for finding these things BEFORE they become dragons.
Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:36:57 AM

Diceman, like you have told me may times before. Just ignore the haters.... We have posted many times our picks and many times they will achieve great heights. When we are thanked for our picks and our strategies than we are called "pompous, liars, braggarts" it comes with the territory. Although I do not trade like Tobydad anymore; his results are right here for us all to see "starting on the right side of the chart".

Just ignore the poets and the skeptics. We know the score.

Apsll.

tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:33:10 PM

Good evening all;

the current list, per the Telechart watchlist reporting is 16 winners, 4 losers; +8.3% thus far.  

I pray you make a lot of money...and then do something good with it. There are hungry children waiting around the world for someone to care. What if each person on this forum took 10% of every successful trade and sponsored children that need education, healthcare, clean water and food? Wow! What could we do? For less than the commission on a couple of trades you can do all that for one child for a month. (And it would help your tax situation!)

Why not? Compassion International, WorldVision, Calcutta Mission of Mercy, they're all waiting for your help. 

God gives power to get wealth, not our genius (if we even have any). And He gives it that we might do His good work. Try it, it's fun to bless others.

Blessings to all.
Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:34:52 PM

Another point to ponder about these lists that some of us post is that the strategy used to find them at the time are designed to fit the Market conditions. When WSE shared the CCI 20 with all of us then I used it to creat the following list below. These stocks and the strategy was ripe after the market found a temporary bottom in March  thus vreating the right environment for the strategy to be used. Most stocks on the following list have now gone on to 300% gains or higher. I say this not to brag but to prove that we do refere to the right side of the chart.

QUOTE (Apsll)

It has been some time since last I introduced a new trading system. I was turned onto this gem through a good friend of mine that is known within the trading community "Wall Street Edge". I know that a few here know who he is.

This system requires only one indicator. "CCI 20" and it works like this. For Telechart purposes you simply sort your watch list or easy scan by the actual value of this indicator and then press the home key. You are looking for values over 100 where the indicator has not yet finished its peak and is pointing North. Second you need to look for the most recent peak that too was over 100 (Value). Now the current value must actually be higher than the previous 100+ value and rising. The condition is better if the current peak is in close proximity to the crossing of the recent highs value. In other words if the recent peak had a value of 105 than the closer to 106 that this current peak is than you are more likely to catch the rally in the early stages. 

Here is a list of candidates that I am currently watching. Try to back test this system and you will see that it has an above average rate of success.

Good luck.

Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:40:34 PM

Right now Ben is expanding on Davidjohnhalls fine work with the Dragon and creating the "Whale" strategy. I say god bless him and all of those that contibute and share these strategies. I wish more folks would use telecharts potential and share such things. I thought that is what we are all here for...

Apsll.
zeeshankaba
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:08:36 PM
I'm new to this site and TeleChart. I'm slowly learning the program. I haven't posted anything yet but I thought for my first post it would only be right to thank all of your guys for contributing to this forum, sharing your knowledge, and helping others. Thanks fellas and don't worry about all the hate/jealousy....
thekubiaks
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:24:25 PM
I'm greatful for the lists but I did notice that this list only really works well in a bull run.  If we are in a decline the list doesn't do as well in general.  So, the bigger (macro) issue is to forecast the direction of the market for the next couple of weeks and then implement the list for max gains.  That is the way I am seeing it...  But, I could be wrong....  I'm playing options and 3X ETF's anyway.... but trying to learn this system.
hiromj
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:33:26 PM
QUOTE (thekubiaks)
I'm greatful for the lists but I did notice that this list only really works well in a bull run.  If we are in a decline the list doesn't do as well in general.  So, the bigger (macro) issue is to forecast the direction of the market for the next couple of weeks and then implement the list for max gains.  That is the way I am seeing it...  But, I could be wrong....  I'm playing options and 3X ETF's anyway.... but trying to learn this system.

I like the ETF's and options also. Could you please post a small list of yout favorites?
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:39:56 PM

You are exactly correct. The list only works well in a bull run or rebound. That is why you only see me post these lists every so often. This is somewhat like my Rolling Stone strategy. 

We are completely at the mercy of what the market will do when we use this strategy. And, yes, it only works well in a bull run but that is the point; to take maximum advantage of the bull runs. I love this new style of trading; take some days off, watch the market while it's dropping, use a system to watch for market turnarounds and then, have a group of stocks ready to fly when the market rebounds. 

So to those who keep commenting that this only works well in a bull run, I say, Right! That is the point, it was not designed to do anything other. In declines, this list will perform abyssmally if you are long. 

There's no magic here,by the way,  just enter where you will, use your own strategies for stops and go along for whatever part of the ride suits you.
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:41:19 PM

Diceman, thanks.
funnymony
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:13:18 PM

yes, diceman did his best to distort the truth. why am i not surprised.

heres the thread:

http://forums.worden.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=38802
funnymony
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:28:38 PM

QUOTE (thekubiaks)

kubiaks strategy of playing options or 3x etf's make much more sense, then trying to make good entries and managing 20 different penny stocks.
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:48:59 PM

funnymony, 

I think it's important to point out to everyone that playing options or 3x etf's makes much more sense to you. It may not make more sense to everyone. It certainly doesn't to me. And for others that just have a goal of making money in the markets, this system has certainly not proven to be anything other than profitable. 

Playing options and 3x etf's is profitable as well. They're just two different tools for different trading styles.
Apsll
Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:39:42 AM

Funnymony, we finally have a chance at peace on the forum. What is your intention? All you have pointed out is that Diceman can now relate to Tobydads trading style. Tobydad is correct that his system works; this is proved just by looking at the very results of the thread you allude to in your above link. I can attest to the fact that trading low priced stocks that are breaking out or reversing can be very profitable. I can also attest to the fact that trading inverse ETF's during a down trending market can be profitable. You play the style that best fits your personality and the current market conditions.

There is no need for disharmony any longer. If you have a viable system that is profitable then please share. If you are not the sharing type than trade on and have fun; but please do not attempt to lecture the veteran traders that have been trading far longer than you unless you can show proof of their folly or provide alternatives.

Peace and good trading to you...

Apsll.

thekubiaks
Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:11:53 AM
QUOTE (tobydad)
funnymony, 

I think it's important to point out to everyone that playing options or 3x etf's makes much more sense to you. It may not make more sense to everyone. It certainly doesn't to me. And for others that just have a goal of making money in the markets, this system has certainly not proven to be anything other than profitable. 

Playing options and 3x etf's is profitable as well. They're just two different tools for different trading styles.

This is good discussion, lets keep it friendly.

I agree with Tobydad about multiple trading styles.  You only to have to get good at one style (or one stock) to make a lot of money.  Tobydad has his style, I have mine.  But, more is better so I am trying to learn another way of doing business.

My big point is that the market direction is the key.  A question for Tobydad... What do you use to determine a change in the market direction to start using your picks??   Thanks.
davidjohnhall
Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:43:13 PM

Congratulations, Tobydad and thank you for the refreshing reminder of the good our winning trades can bring, not only to us but to others who are less fortunate.  I, for one, will be looking into the orginizations you mentioned.

I would also like to add my thoughts on low priced stocks as I seem to be having the most success that I have had since I began trading with these stocks.  I don't know if it's because I just get the story more and can see the trade and the risk more effectively, or if I like the volatility.  I really don't care what the reason as I stopped needing to know "why" anything happens in the market a long time ago.  

Ever since I decided to see if I could gain more on the bounces in this brar market than i could on the drops I have been very pleasantly suprised.  I still trade the major portion of my capital on the leveraged ETFs, inversed and regular, but the gains there have been eclipsed by the gains in the lower priced stocks.  

I also have to agree with APSLL regarding the development of ideas on the forum.  i think the forum works by far the best when someone puts out an idea and another trader builds on it and finds success and explains how he/she did which increases the learning for all.  

I have found there is nothing wrong with opposing a strategy if you offer an alternative and thoughts and why that strategy might not work.  I also think that opposition or contradiction can sometimes bring about positive changes.

Good luck all.  Thanks for all the great ideas.

David John Hall
diceman
Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:32:41 PM
"This list reads like the who's who of my Dragon watchlists and recent breakouts.  Putting 2 + 2 together it looks like Tobydad's search is great for finding these things BEFORE they become dragons."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah ben2k9. I noticed that to.

Its almost like there is a powerful liftoff. Then they are ready to
change their character and go into the dragon mode.

Thanks
diceman

funnymony
Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:43:33 AM

QUOTE (tobydad)
funnymony, 

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you held fewer positions, you'd be able to focus on each postion individually, and maximize your profit, rather than just taking a "shotgun" approach, and selecting stocks across numerous market sectors(both strong and weak),  then arbitrarily entering and exiting all your postions at the same time, based "only" on overall market action.

tobydad
Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:42:54 AM

funnymony, 

I rarely retort as I believe it to be a waste of my time and the time of others. So please understand this is not a wisecrack; but if you would be willing to show me a system that gives me more free time than what I am doing now and if the system you would show me will almost triple my money within about 3-6 months, then I'd love to see it. 

You see, I don't care which one of us is right or wrong, I have nothing to defend or promote. I just want to maximize my profit while maximizing my free time. I have a system (which I have explained several times on this forum) which requires me very little time to manage even 20 positions and a system for picking very specific timing points and a system for picking 20 stocks. And unless you believe that I have the capability (not to mention the sad, demented interest) in manipulating the dates of the posts on this forum, then the results of what i'm doing speak for themselves.

You talk about maximizing profit. I know you don't typically share much of your systems, picks or techniques here but if your system allows you to spend little of your time and show better results than those posted in Diceman's post of June 2, please tell me/us about it. I'm always all about doing better.

I have done extremely well (and I thank God for this) with the last 4 batches of stocks. My profit is neither enhanced or diminished by posting on this forum. I come here to share a blessing with which I have been entrusted. Do with it what you will.

tobydad
Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:57:17 AM

QUOTE (funnymony)
QUOTE (tobydad)
funnymony, 

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you held fewer positions, you'd be able to focus on each postion individually, and maximize your profit, rather than just taking a "shotgun" approach, and selecting stocks across numerous market sectors(both strong and weak),  then arbitrarily entering and exiting all your postions at the same time, based "only" on overall market action.

Did I, while holding 20 positions picked with a "shotgun" approach and entered/exited arbitrarily, come to you with a problem with my trades and ask for help on what I was doing wrong? Your comment sounds like a response to someone who has done so.

Why would you look at a list of stocks (20 winners, 0 losers) averaging over 175% profit in under 6 months and tell me that i could have been more profitable? I just don't understand that. Do you actually have a system that works better for my lifestyle? Do you actually have a system that works better at all? 

This is not a shotgun approach, I do not enter/exit arbitrarily nor have I told others to do so, and it is not based "only" on overall market direction. 

I'm not as knowledgeable as you. I don't know how to trade options and I'm only learning about 3x etf's. I hope they are better that what I'm doing now. I'm looking forward to even more profit. 

thanks
tobydad
Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 10:53:23 PM

List is up 11% since first post. That's pretty good. The problem is I really don't like the looks of the VIX and VXN for long positions. 

I didn't enter all 20 this time, only a few and, of course, I didn't pick the best ones!

So, be on your guard. I'm still thinking we're loading up for a big dive in the not too distant future. FAZ and BGZ are looking like my favorite bullish charts when they're loading up. So, not good for long positions. 

Keep your powder dry.

blessings to all