Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

PUTS-How to program Telechart (or Stock Finder) to finD GOOD PUT candidates. Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
ftportele
Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:50:18 PM
PUTS-How to program Telechart (or Stock Finder) to finD GOOD PUT candidates
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:51:55 PM

Worden Trainer

Welcome to the forums. A very good foundation for learning how to use TeleChart can be gained by reviewing the following:

If you are new to TeleChart READ THIS FIRST!

The trainers can't give setting, interpretation or investment advice, but I'll move this topic to the Stock and Market Talk forum so other traders will be more likely to see it and comment.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
diceman
Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 9:08:17 AM
In this market environment good puts/shorts can be found by
sorting a watchlist by:

C>0

Just kidding!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good puts/shorts are in the eye of the trader. (along with good longs)

Your best bet would be to define what you consider a "good put".

That would point you in the direction of what you need to scan for.

Thanks
diceman
johnlc
Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:31:59 PM
looks like the moderators are back on the job
Ralph Koozer
Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 2:29:08 AM

To us a good PUT candidate for a short term trade would be an overvalued stock based upon fundamentals.  

Some criteria of the search would be (to me)
 High PE ratio (PE>30)+high (and increasing) Debt to equity ratio(DtoE ratio >2)+declining dividends+declining profits+declining market share.

Institutional net sales (net sales > 1%)+insider net sales (ditto).  

It short the criteria for picking a good put candidate is just about the polar oppisite in most respects from picking a stock as a buy candidate.

Use due caution about speculating with puts in this stage of the bear with the market well down from its peak; the easy money in puts has mostly been made already.

Of course, buying a Put can also be profitably used to hedge a long position in a time when a downdraft is expected and you want to hold said long position.  The married put  profit can be used to accumulate to the long position and increase the gain on the recovery.  (the stocks you want to hold are those that will recover-right).

baquilesb
Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 2:34:30 PM

Lets just be clear here - telechart contains no options information or way to process them.

You need to find diferent software or service to do that.  I would provide you a couple of places, but I am sure the moderator will be quick to erase.  Just google options and spend some good time browsing.

As I recall - I provided URLs in the past for just this - try to search the board.

sportsguy
Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:47:41 PM
Good put candidates are stocks near all time highs, like in June.  the reason that good put candidates should be near all time highs is for low volatility, and therefore, low price.. . and each stock is priced above $40 a share, the higher the better. . .   for the farther to fall.

also, each candidate has a flat or sideways trading pattern with an intermediate term moving average,, and is near the upper bollinger band. .

the strike purchased should be at the lower bollinger band, for the break. .

remember, you want an uptrending stock or index first before going short.

sportsguy
bknight
Posted : Friday, December 5, 2008 6:26:42 PM
Do a search on Sir Smalltiger and I think you'll find what you're looking for.