Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

The Hindenburg Omen Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
realitycheck
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:02:50 AM

A purely technical indication ... purportedly with a 92% accuracy rate ...

There has been a lot of chatter about it lately ... cnbc, Mark Hulbert, etc ...

Apparently it indicated in June ... 

What are your thoughts ?

fpetry
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:15:27 AM
So the analogy is that markets are slowly coming in for soft landing but then explode to downside in disastrous fashion?   Thoughts are not pleasant
scottnlena
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 10:41:32 AM

What is the Hindenburg omen?  never herd of it.
fpetry
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:18:11 AM
QUOTE (scottnlena)
What is the Hindenburg omen?  never herd of it.

Go to investopedia dot com.  I just read the definition and, well, read it yourself, it ain't pretty:)
driger
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:53:48 AM

the omen was actually giving signals in 2007.

i guess you could say the signals were accurate.
bknight
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:18:20 PM
The signal is based on new highs and new lows, and is cheerfully called a Hindenburg (the actual name given to it by Kennedy Gammage is the Hindenburg Omen but that strikes me as far too, well, ominous, because it's certainly not a sufficient condition for a market decline). It's a relatively unusual event that has often preceded fairly substantial market declines with a fairly short lead time (usually within 30-60 days, including declines in 1987, 1990, 1998, 2000 and 2001), but has sometimes proved to be meaningless or insignificant as well (such as a cluster of signals in September 2005, among others).
bknight
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:20:07 PM
The basic elements are 1) the market is in a rising trend, defined as the NYSE Composite being above its 10-week average, 2) both daily new highs and new lows exceed 2.2% of issues traded, and 3) the McClellan Oscillator is negative meaning that market breadth as measured by advances and declines is relatively weak (there's some dispute, which I will not join, as to whether the Oscillator has to be negative that day or turn negative later). Peter Eliades added a couple of other conditions to eliminate signals occurring in clearly strong markets: 4) new highs can't exceed new lows by more than 2-to-1, and 5) 2 or more signals occur within about a month (he uses 36 days) of each other.

Forgot paragraph two
scottnlena
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:16:27 PM

Oh, that is interesting.  how is that constructed as an indicator in blocks.  I guess I could just write the scans for new MAXH52 highs and new MINL52 lows, and then monitor them as a ratio of each other in excel.

Beyon the 2 paragraph thing in Investopedia where was the information that it was signaling  in October?  Just FYI moneystream on the SP-500 was IMO signaling somethnig pretty severe before then.. BUT I miss understood it.

how does it work for bottoms?
bknight
Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:30:21 PM
I would think the normal indicators still work, VIX, high volumes to the downside, PCR etc