Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

v18 beta missing EasyScans? Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jchas
Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:09:57 PM

The current v18 beta appears to no longer have EasyScans as a tab amongst All/Main/Personal/Component etc.

Is it somewhere else?  Or is it being removed??

Thanks,

.../j

jchas
Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:49:12 PM

Thanks. 

Seems to be a lot of extra clicks now to cycle through a list of screeners.

Also now there's a lot of dragging windows around to show/hide the screened list vs the current watchlists.

???!

.../j

markhike
Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:18:30 PM

QUOTE (jchas)

Thanks. 

Seems to be a lot of extra clicks now to cycle through a list of screeners.

Also now there's a lot of dragging windows around to show/hide the screened list vs the current watchlists.

???!

.../j

It is not that bad. Just choose "All stocks" as your watchlist and then apply different condition set to it. Simpler than opening an easy scan.

Take some getting used to. But I like the simplistics of it.

jchas
Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:06:43 PM

Oh weird.  I can see how that might be useful.

Had to hunt around to figure out how to return to the full watchlist (click the X beside the funnel).

That really changes the workflow.  I'll have to live with it a while to see how it goes.

Thanks,

.../j

markhike
Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:28:44 PM

Converting "EasyScan" to "Condition Set" may also have some drawbacks. Easyscan is not just a condition set. It also contains the watchlist the conditions applying to. Most importantly its name shows up on the tab so that you can have multiple Easyscans side by side.

Going back to V17 at the moment until they fix all these issues.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:11:15 AM

Worden Trainer

Thank you for your feedback.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 8:23:58 PM

No more EasyScans? Holy Sh*t!

Next you're going to tell me there's no Santa Claus.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 9:35:02 AM

Worden Trainer

The EasyScan concept in TC2000 v17 and earlier has been replaced by Condition Sets in the current version of the TC2000 v18 beta.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
drg
Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 5:26:32 PM

I stopped using v18 because of the easyscan screw up. I'd like to try again. How do I get v18 beta to start up instead of v17?

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:22:47 AM

Worden Trainer

If you already had the beta installed, right click the desktop icon > open file location > right click startsettings.dat > delete.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:02:55 PM

Being a computer programmer fluent in lots of data concepts and languages (except PCF, dammit :) including SQL, I'm used to wrapping my brain around scans & queries, so Condition Sets are right in my wheelhouse. :) ... EasyScan™ was always just a cute marketing name to me.

That said, I'm just surprised that after years of touting how easy it is to scan using - wait for it -  EasyScan® (trademarked, patent pending, world famous!!) Worden would toss the EasyScan™ "brand" aside like an old worn out shoe.

To me, "Condition Sets" sounds more like something I would hear two database engineers talking about at the water cooler than something two everyday traders would discuss at Starbucks. TC2000 biggest selling point (besides Bruce ;) was the extreme ease of use.

"Condition Sets" just sounds a little too techie to me, and I'm a techie. :) ... even if the implementation turns out great it just sounds foreign. But it works for me so I'm not even sure why I bring it up. Just shocked that EasyScan™ is going the way of the dodo bird.

Sounds like the development team and the marketing team had a bet, and the developers won. :)

Next you'll announce v7 is going away too. :)

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:29:45 PM

Worden Trainer

Never say never, but I actually can't imagine TC2000 v7 going away. We have no plans to discontinue TC2000 v7.

As to Condition Sets vs EasyScans, I really can't say how that transpired, but I was somewhat surprised as well when the EasyScan name was dropped.

The idea of a "Condition Set" which is pretty much interchangeable with a condition works really well with my workflow. I create, destroy, and switch scans and conditions pretty much constantly throughout my day. This is in part because much of my workflow relates to not only using my own setups, but looking at what other people are doing as well.

That said, as currently implemented in the v18 beta, it actually creates significant impedements to certain workflows and we have received a lot of feedback about these issues which should be addressed in future versions of the beta.

The first main issue is that the name of the WatchList is always displayed with no way to display the name of the Condition Set instead. So let's say you currently have a bunch of different EasyScans which all scan the same WatchList in a layout. In v17 you have different names diplayed for each EasyScan, but in the current TC2000 v18 beta, there is no easily discernable differentiation.

The second main issue is actually the flip side of the first issue. There is no way to save the List to Scan as part of the Condition Set. So let's say you currently have several EasyScans with identical conditions but different Lists to Scan and different names. This allows you to quickly bring up an EasyScan along with the desired WatchList. This becomes a multistep process in the current TC2000 v18 beta.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:12:26 PM

Don't keep v7 around on my account, Bruce. Never used it :)

Nice to hear you're getting good feedback on the beta Condition Sets thing. It's got tons of promise if done right, workflow-wise. I just hope users will keep an open mind and we can continue to improve the product.

Is there going to be a funeral service for EasyScan? ;)

markhike
Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:43:10 PM

I think they should keep both. EasyScan=Watchlist+ConditionSet. They are not the same thing. It is good to have the new ConditionSet concept which is usefule in the workflow. Keeping both would be a win-win situation.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:23:38 AM

Worden Trainer

Thank you for your suggestion.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2017 11:34:51 AM

Bruce,

My morning coffee is still kicking in but in general I agree w/ mdhuang that EasyScan and Condition Sets BOTH have their place in v18. 

The devil will be in the details. Developers who've already had their coffee should take a very close look at the workflows that beginners and advanced users and trainers (i.e., Michael) and power user Ninjas (Bruce) all use, solicit feedback, and make sure Condition Sets and EasyScans and Watchlists work together like Peanut Butter & Jelly instead of Oil & Vinegar. :)

EasyScans are too ... yeah, I'll say it: "easy" and Condtion Sets too useful ... they both deserve spots in v18. I'll leave the implementation details and any backward-compatibility issues to you. ;)

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:46:40 AM

Worden Trainer

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jchas
Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:38:54 AM

I second UnclePennybags suggestion of retaining EasyScan in v18.

I've got a workflow that really slows down when trying to use the Condition Set-only approach of the current v18 beta.  Having the Watchlist built-in really speeds things up.

My 2 cents...

.../john

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:39:42 AM

Worden Trainer

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
markhike
Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:05:32 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome "Combo List" if you miss "EasyScan". You can throw mutiple lists and multiple conditions into the Combo List and its name does show up in the tab!

markhike
Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:15:26 PM

I do wish they convert all my easyscans to combo list instead of just condition sets. Now I need to re-create my dozens of easyscans in combo lists if I want to display the name in a tab.

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 8:35:24 AM

Worden Trainer

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles