Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: Al_Gorithm
About
User Name: Al_Gorithm
Groups: Gold User, Member
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,115
[0.38% of all post / 2.69 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Fun with Comparison Charts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:14:06 PM

Happy Friday, Bruce!

Just thought of this on the drive home, not sure if it's doable ...

Can you use a comparison chart on option contracts, like you can with stocks?

If not, I suppose a workaround could be tiling multiple charts horizontally, and pinning all but one of the price panes. I'd have to sync up all the candles manually, though ... so I wouldn't be zooming in & out much.

The SPY offers so many different contracts, and expirations three times a week, ... I'd like to compare and contrast diiferent contracts as painlessly as possible.

Topic: Fun with Alerts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 4:00:22 PM

Cool, thanks. Will do.

Topic: Fun with Alerts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 2:33:36 PM

Bruce,

Before I forget ...

Going through your links this weekend, but I was wondering ... can I fire off an alert when a trade is triggered?

My intraday orders are going to be pretty much all conditional contingent orders. I'd like to be notifed, so I can pop in and keep an eye on it. 

I know I can route alerts to my Fitbit, but I never tried an alert tied to an order.

Doable?

Topic: Fun with the Volatility Stop
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 10:06:04 AM

Thanks, Bruce.

I'll keep those cards & letters coming in. lol. 

Enjoy your weekend!

Topic: Fun with the Volatility Stop
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 8:16:13 AM

Happy Thursday-is-the-New-Friday, Bruce!

Not a huge deal, but I'm feeling a little OCD this morning.

The color of the label for most indicators is editable, but the Volatility Stop label seems to "stuck" on gray.

When I set up a chart for the first time, I set everything to white, then once everything is in place, I pull out my crayons.

The VolStop plot will eventually be red & green (probably) but the gray on a black background makes the label harder to read. I know it's there - I'm just thinking of other folks looking at my chart.

Any way to "fix" this?

Topic: Target Entry Prices
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 5:55:31 PM

That's actually an interesting idea.

The algorithm for the Volatility Stop does exist on the interwebs at https://www.linnsoft.com/techind/volatility-stop-vstop.

That said, I'm pretty sure it's not PCF-able, so I'm not sure if anything can be done.

You might be able to plot a 1-period moving average of the VolStop, and do something with that. 

What exactly, I'm not sure ... today's sugar & caffeine doses are both wearing off right about now.

Topic: Fun with Remote Connections
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 1:48:46 PM

Bruce, love the hamburger icon. lol. Thanks for the links.

Yeah, as soon as that laptop arrives, I'm going to slowly start setting things up in a dedicated workspace. One. Step. At. A. Time.

And, definitely simulated mode first. :)

Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 4:51:59 PM

The current plan is to use that $150 refurbished 14" Windows laptop that I already ordered (it's actually arriving tomorrow).

I/T Guy said it's cool to use the office's guest WiFi for personal stuff on a personal device. So, the cheap laptop I just bought will sit in the corner of my office desk.

My intraday trading (for now) is going to be limited to trading SPY weekly options. I still have to go through the steps of simulated trading, but I think I can set up contingent orders with the conditions that fit my trading plan. I'm also assuming (need to test) that I can send alerts to my FItbit smartwatch when the order is placed.

Haven't looked at the bracket orders lately, but I think the exits are limited to dollar and/or percentage thresholds. I'd rather set up an exit order based on an indicator.

So, ... the plan is for TC2000 to automagically buy to open based on my condition(s), alert me, which will give me time to log in, and create a sell to close order based on an indicator(s).

Not sure if I asked this before, but I'm assuming I can't set up a sell order based on indicators until there's an open position, if that makes sense.

Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 10:55:29 AM

Talked to "I/T Guy" again. Actually, they're cool with using their guest network for personal stuff. One less expense, more money for my TC2000 Brokerage Account.

One step closer to world domination.

Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 10:46:05 AM

Thanks StockGuy, thanks Bruce!

Talked to "I/T Guy". Started a new gig last month and don't want my new company on national TV because of a security breach I caused. Bad for business. lol.

Technically, I can access my home laptop from my office laptop. Security-wise, it's not recommended. Also, the guest wireless network at the office is really for guests to do their work. I know, what a concept.

Bummer. May just have to stop tipping the barista so much and pop for wireless access for my personal laptop(s). Don't know much about tethering to my smartphone, but that's not really an option until January anyway (long story). Then I might get a new voice/data/yada/yada/yada plan so I can use my personal laptop anywhere.

Thanks, guys!