Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

symbol comparison Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
ssfj_420
Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:53:32 AM

hi, I have a quick question regarding symbol comparisons. If I have a price history for "MSF", I know how to add comparison symbol, such as "SPY" on that chart, my question is how can I plot the ratio between the two, or the difference between the two price histories. Thanks in advance.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:31:41 AM

Worden Trainer

You can plot the ratio between the active symbol on the chart and another symbol by adding Relative Strength to the chart. The Relative Strength indicator is just the ratio of the active symbol to the symbol in the Relative Strength indicator.

I cannot think of an automated method of plotting the difference between the active symbol and a comparison symbol in TC2000.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
2trak
Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:36:09 AM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

You can plot the ratio between the active symbol on the chart and another symbol by adding Relative Strength to the chart. The Relative Strength indicator is just the ratio of the active symbol to the symbol in the Relative Strength indicator.

I cannot think of an automated method of plotting the difference between the active symbol and a comparison symbol in TC2000.

Is the ratio between the active symbol on the chart and another symbol as expressed by adding Relative Strength to the chart based on a 12-month time period?  Are other time periods available?  For Relative Strength comparison of two symbols, I'm lookng to compare price performance over a certain time period, let's say 5 days.  It seems that could be achieved by comparing the values of the Price Percent Change 5 Days indicators applied to both symbols.  Can a comparison using the Price Percent Change 5 Days indicator be created using PCFs and the result be shown in a watchlist column that can be sorted on?  If the calculation is possible using PCFs, but the results can't be shown in a  column, can the results be exported to Excel?  I don't need to plot the result on a chart.  If this desired comparison has already been explained, please suggest where I can read about the solution.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 8:55:00 AM

Worden Trainer

The Relative Strength (RS) indicator in TC2000 does not have a period, so you could not set it to one year. It is just the price of the active symbol divided by the price of the RS symbol.

In StockFinder, you could add a Rate of Change (Percent) of Indicator indicator to the Relative Strength (RS) indicator, but in TC2000, the Rate of Change indicators are always of price and cannot be applied as child indicators to other indicators.

The Personal Criteria Formula Language does not have syntax for referencing other symbols. This meas I do not know of a practical automated method of writing Relative Strength PCFs in either version of TC2000. You may wish to review the following for a semi-automated technique for creating Relative Strength in a PCF:

Indexes in PCF's
RSMA PCFs

You can currently export data for symbols from TC2000 version 12.2, but you cannot export data for entire WatchLists.

You can export price data for entire WatchLists in TC2000 version 7 and export it to Excel. This would allow you to do all of the calculations in Excel.

Exporting data to text format - comma, space or tab delimited

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles