Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Identify sectors gaining momentum over the past few months Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, November 22, 2004 3:57:24 PM

Worden Trainer

Author: Doug Holden

keywords: All Media General Industry Averages industry sub-industry sector PCFs WatchList Tabs sort by columns flagging create personal WatchList All Flagged Items Industry Pulldown Menu custom date sort price rate of change visual change indicator sort

- Doug
Teaching Online!

To view this video you must have Macromedia Flash Player and Microsoft Internet Explorer 5+
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, November 22, 2004 8:42:14 PM

Worden Trainer

Here are the PCF's for the sort criteria used for the sort columns in the video.

Current Month:
((C-C20)/C20)*100

Prior Month #1:
((C21-C41)/C41)*100

Prior Month #2:
((C42-C62)/C62)*100

Prior Month #3:
((C63-C83)/C83)*100

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Ijester
Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2004 10:40:50 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Doug, I enjoyed your lesson but am having some problems. I created the pcf's & updated as of close 12-7. I created a watchlist tab as you did. If I use charts with notes as my watchlist I can sort by the 4 pcf's in the video. But when I change watchlist to All media general idustry avgs I do not get any values under any of the pcf's & can not sort by them. Also I noticed there was a "canned" price % change 30 day that one can sort by (but this only yields percentile & not actual % change) & I had already entered a pcf for price % change last 30 days as such ((C-C29)/C29)*100 which yields actual % change when used with watchlists of stocks but will not yield any results when try to sort media general industry avgs. although the canned price % 30 days will sort industry groups by percentile. Any ideas how I can perform a similar sort as you did in video. Thanks, Willie
StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2004 12:01:56 AM

Administration

QUOTE (Ijester)
Doug, I enjoyed your lesson but am having some problems. I created the pcf's & updated as of close 12-7. I created a watchlist tab as you did. If I use charts with notes as my watchlist I can sort by the 4 pcf's in the video. But when I change watchlist to All media general idustry avgs I do not get any values under any of the pcf's & can not sort by them. Also I noticed there was a "canned" price % change 30 day that one can sort by (but this only yields percentile & not actual % change) & I had already entered a pcf for price % change last 30 days as such ((C-C29)/C29)*100 which yields actual % change when used with watchlists of stocks but will not yield any results when try to sort media general industry avgs. although the canned price % 30 days will sort industry groups by percentile. Any ideas how I can perform a similar sort as you did in video. Thanks, Willie

Make sure when you calculate your PCFs, you choose All Items in System as the list to calculate for. From what you've described, it sounds like you calculated your PCFs using the All Stocks WatchList. Thus, when you try to sort the industry group averages, there's no data available to sort by.
sams
Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2004 7:51:12 PM
Doug: i enjoyed your lesson but am having problems duplicating it. I have TC NET, and all of the tabs are set the same. I Also do not seem to be able to add the price rate of change to the bottom window as shown on your chart can you help me. Sams
Doug_H
Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2004 8:30:56 PM

Worden Trainer

Well, Sams...let's take it a step at a time. Have you created the PCF's and updated them?

For the Price Rate of Change, you actually must click the Edit button near the top of the chart to reveal the edit template dialog box. Click on the + next to Bottom, and you will then see Price Rate of Change as one of your indicator choices. If you try to add the indicator by right clicking on the chart and choosing add indicator, Price Rate of Change will not be on the list.

Let me know about the PCF's.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
tom621
Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2004 9:31:33 PM
I just tried the recomemden settings but, I only ended up with 3 stocks: WWIN, PESI, & SRCL. Onlt one of these look like they have a recent run up. Am I doing something wrong?
--Tom
Doug_H
Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2004 11:11:13 PM

Worden Trainer

I need you to make sure you used the exact PCF's that I used in the video. They are posted directly below the video itself in this thread. You should copy and paste them into PCF windows to avoid possible typos. Then, when you update your PCF's, make sure you update them for All Items in System, not some other WatchList.

Please verify that you've done this much, and then we'll take it further. Also, remember that I found 26 stocks, but that was back on November 18th. The market has been pulling back since then, so it doesn't surprise me that this technique might find fewer stocks today. I'll run through it myself and see what I come up with while I wait to hear back from you.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
tom621
Posted : Monday, December 13, 2004 8:22:36 PM
Doug, Yes, I did a copy and past of your formulas.
I just ran through the routine again and I've got these sectors:MG725, MG351, MG350, MG638, MG446, MG114. Out of those, only one stock remained:SRCL. I must be doing something wrong. -Tom
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, December 13, 2004 10:34:38 PM

Worden Trainer

Well, we're making progress. Once you found those 5 sub-industries and one main industry and put them in a watchlist, did you go in and flag all of the stocks in all of them? If so, how many stocks did you wind up with at that step.

As we step through this process, Tom, we'll figure out what's happening.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Rekha
Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2004 7:29:19 AM
Hello,

I am having the same problem like the first post: the All media general idustry avgs are not being calculated. Right from the begining I had copied and pasted your formullas only and also calculated for all items in the system still it is not being calculated...What shall I do?
StockGuy
Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2004 8:38:47 AM

Administration

You need to make sure you have All Items in System selected as the WatchList to use in calculating your PCFs. Most likely you have it set to All Stocks right now.
Bucket_Shop
Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2004 7:58:43 PM

QUOTE (Rekha)
Hello,

I am having the same problem like the first post: the All media general idustry avgs are not being calculated. Right from the begining I had copied and pasted your formullas only and also calculated for all items in the system still it is not being calculated...What shall I do?

Rekha,
Not sure if this will do the trick, but if you have done all the steps,then with the "All Media General Industry Averages" as your current watch list,click the "Personal Criteria formulas" button to pop up the sort criteria window. Check to see all are currrently updated. Then click one of the new formulas like "current month", "Prior Month #1 etc.. This should re-sort & force the data out of your computers memory.I sometimes will get unresolved sort data while I'm doing many tasks & this process gets the data in there for me. I think it's a memory thingy idono.
Mark
Posted : Sunday, January 2, 2005 4:18:42 PM
I am not able to get Price Rate of Change indicator in the Middle window as in the video
Mark
Posted : Sunday, January 2, 2005 4:24:58 PM
Disregard my previous post. I got my answer in one of your previous. Thank You.
jjhart52
Posted : Sunday, January 2, 2005 9:31:55 PM

Gold Customer Gold Customer

I'm using the Beta version and, noticed the from your video above, that the TC2005 does not have an "All Media General Industries Average" listed. Will the new version have this feature?
Vlad75
Posted : Sunday, January 2, 2005 11:46:54 PM
It is in Component Watch list and named as "Media General Industry Groups". V
chaid_guevara
Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2005 5:59:23 PM
Don H provided a video on sector movement where he ranked sectors by price change for prior month 1, prior month 2 etc, He had tab 3 set up for the sorts and referred to PCFs he had created to do this.

Are these PCFs stored some where or is there a video I can find so I can set my tab 3 in the same fashion

bob
Doug_H
Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2005 6:19:48 PM

Worden Trainer

It was Doug H (me!) who made the video. If you look in this same thread, in the post just under the video itself, you will see that I have posted the PCF's that I used in the video. They can easily be copied and pasted into your TeleChart.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
eladstav
Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2005 4:29:29 PM
hello,
how do i add the pcf to the watch list tabs default? also, based on the same concept you used can i write a formula indicating institutional buying or selling by value (not rank beeing that i am interested in precised movment and not reletive to other stocks)?
thank you
Doug_H
Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2005 6:43:30 PM

Worden Trainer

I am assuming that you have added the PCF's to the program and that you have updated them.

To learn how to add them as columns in one of your watchlist tabs, click here to watch a short video demonstrating this procedure.

I'm not sure what you mean by a formula indicating institutional buying and selling by value. If you could clarify that, perhaps we could help you get what you want.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
eladstav
Posted : Monday, January 24, 2005 1:43:43 AM
thank you.
the problem i have is my pfc does not appear as an option in the list when i right click a column.
the second part i meant was that i want to identify stocks beeing accumilated by institutions over a 30-60 days period. can i use the easyscan based on "% held by institutions" or is there a way to write a formula to show it.
thank you very much for your help.
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, January 24, 2005 8:06:06 AM

Worden Trainer

There is no other condition dealing with intitutional holdings. There is no way to scan for intitutional buying/selling. Have you added the PCFs to your system? Do you see them in the SORT BY menu?

- Craig
Here to Help!
eladstav
Posted : Monday, January 24, 2005 1:46:44 PM
made a mistake in entering the pcf. solved. thank you.
i am thinking if i can use the easy scan criteria in 3 different time segments (3 concecetive weeks for example)and flag bottom percent in each sort column i would get stocks that "percent held by institutions" is increasing.
can that be done???
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, January 24, 2005 1:50:20 PM

Worden Trainer

Sure. Every week do your scan and flag the lowest ones. You might even put them in a Personal WatchList. Each week see where your flagged stocks fall in the scan. Has the percentage increased?

- Craig
Here to Help!
mussie2
Posted : Monday, January 24, 2005 10:00:58 PM
Thank you for the momentum moving tutorial and how to do it with the sectors.mussie
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, January 24, 2005 10:02:32 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome, mussie. Glad you found it to be helpful!

- Doug
Teaching Online!
flatspilot
Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:26:56 PM
Doug,
I set the system up and had no problems running it. I wanted to do a weekly update by clicking on the "momentum stocks" watchlist. But, every time I click on "momentum stocks" I get the same 82 stocks from the original list. Must I set it up from scratch each time I want to run a weekly update?
Craig_S
Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2005 11:37:06 PM

Worden Trainer

When you say a "weekly update" do you mean on a weekly chart or for a different time frame?

- Craig
Here to Help!
flatspilot
Posted : Monday, February 14, 2005 7:35:56 AM
Craig,
I wanted to do a weekly update on Saturday based on the set up you presented in the video.
Thanks,
Larry
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, February 14, 2005 7:57:06 AM

Worden Trainer

flatspilot:

Yes, you do have to do the flagging again, but it really shouldn't take but a couple of minutes. Keep the same columns, but each week, take a couple of minutes to unflag everything, sort by the various columns as in the video, flagging along the way.

Because this list was created through sorting and flagging, rather than EasyScan, you do need to sort and flag each week to update the list.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
NICSTEF
Posted : Monday, February 14, 2005 5:39:52 PM
Doug:

I must have deleted the pcf's for the top industry groups for the last month, previous month, etc. Is there any way I can get these pcf's so I can follow your video on picking uptrending industry groups and stocks within those groups.

Thanks,

Nicstef
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, February 14, 2005 5:49:51 PM

Worden Trainer

The PCFs are located right under the video.... scroll up and you should see them.

- Craig
Here to Help!
benardnab
Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:36:39 PM
Doug H:

I just watched your video on "Identifying Sectors Gaining Momentum".
I am very impressed with your video and would like to learn more about sector rotation and how to best use this information to find the right stocks at the right period of time. The 4 Pcfs "Current month,prior month etc" will help me zero in on what I want.

My one question is on the last part of the video in which you used "Rate Change" sorted by visual change for price momentum.

Is that "visual change" that I see on the chart over say a 10 day period or 10 hour period reflect in the price chart as a 10 period momentum fluctuation or increase in value or what?

Thanks Norm Benard
Craig_S
Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:47:29 PM

Worden Trainer

The Price Rate Of Change indicator (21 period in the video) is a plot of the ratio between the price now and the price 21 bars ago. As the ratio gets larger, you will see the incline of price increase. He did a 10 bar change in this indicator.

I hope this helps.

- Craig
Here to Help!
satya999
Posted : Monday, February 28, 2005 12:46:03 AM
Hi Doug,

After following your video instructions
today Feb/27/2005 Sunday,
I got following two momentum sectors. Is it correct ?
I appreciate your response. Thanks. Satya

MG773 - Air Services-Other
MG742 - Toy & Hobby Stores
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, February 28, 2005 12:37:16 PM

Worden Trainer

Finding two sounds correct. If you ever found a whole bunch, I would think you've done something wrong. If you followed the steps and got your colums set up, it's likely correct. I'll test it for you and get back to you.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, February 28, 2005 1:14:28 PM

Worden Trainer

I came up with MG742 Toy and Hobby stores only. However, I did a download at around 12:30PM today, and perhaps you were using Friday's market close data. This morning's data may have eliminated MG773 for me. It does sound like you're doing it right, though.

Keep in mind, in the video I might say to flag from 181 to the bottom....and you may have flagged from 180 to the bottom, and that could make a difference in what you find vs. what I find. However, it would make no difference with the technique itself. You'll still be finding momentum sectors.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
satya999
Posted : Monday, February 28, 2005 10:22:52 PM
Thanks Doug for verifying and replying.
Today Monday Feb/28/05 after market, I tried same sequence and
got MG742 Toy and Hobby Stores only. Thanks again. Satya

QUOTE (Doug_H)
I came up with MG742 Toy and Hobby stores only. However, I did a download at around 12:30PM today, and perhaps you were using Friday's market close data. This morning's data may have eliminated MG773 for me. It does sound like you're doing it right, though.

Keep in mind, in the video I might say to flag from 181 to the bottom....and you may have flagged from 180 to the bottom, and that could make a difference in what you find vs. what I find. However, it would make no difference with the technique itself. You'll still be finding momentum sectors.
KenM
Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2005 11:47:28 AM

Doug:
Ive double and tripled checked my PCFs and 3 times ran this following your video and I end up with no flagged sectors. When I get thru prior month 1 unflagging I can already see that I will have no sectors that were in the bottom quartile in prior month 3 showing as in the top quarter now. Ive read all the posts to make sure I have'nt missed something. Is it posssible that there ARE no sectors from prior month 3 back that are now in the top quarter?