Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Importing data from another source Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tom32841
Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2005 6:24:40 PM
Hi,
In the Worden Report Wed 7/13 Dick (aka Mr Methodical) made reference about importing the IBD 100 list. I have tried both creating a Word doc and an Excel doc move them to desk top,my documents temp file. When I try to import the data TC5000 can't find the file to import. I'am not sure what I am doing wrong.I also got email from tech support that says you can't import data from another source. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
Dano
Posted : Monday, July 25, 2005 10:51:43 PM
Hi, I do this all the time. It's real easy. First create your text file. If you download the list as an excel spreadsheet you'll have to save it as a text file - save it to your desktop so you know where it is. You can clean it up in excel but I prefer a text editor called textpad www.textpad.com. Windows Notepad will work too, but I use textpad for other things so I like it better. You'll need to remove everything except for the symbols. Each symbol should be on its own line. Save it with the .txt file extension, example ibd100.txt. Then, in tcnet, go to File, create new watchlist, type the name of watchlist, select import from file. Then you have to browse where the text file is located - your desktop. That's it. You should now have your new watchlist. Easier yet, many already import the IBD 100 list regularly and post as a shared watchlist. Join the A-lists club and you'll find it in there.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 25, 2005 10:56:37 PM

Worden Trainer

The easiest way I've found to clean up the file in Excel is to highlight just the symbols (absolutely nothing else) and Copy and Paste them to another worksheet. While the new worksheet is active select File | Save As using a file type with a .txt extension and select OK at the The selected file type does not support workbooks that containing multiple sheets warning.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
drkenrich
Posted : Friday, July 29, 2005 9:03:09 PM
I use various sources for stock screenings that have parameters not available in TC. Here's another way for you.

When a website does a list creation and allows me to export as some specific type of format, I select Excel. Once it's in Excel I copy ONLY the symbols and past them into WordPerfect but actually any text editor (plain or sophisticated) will do.

If the website doesn't allow export through Excel or any way at all, I know that the display is in a basic table form. I simply highlight the table, including everything it it, copy it and then paste directly into Excel because any table format will import directly to Excel cells. Once it's there I do the above step.

When I finally have all to symbols copied into the text editor, I do a find and replace to replace the HardReturns (Enter key) with a comma and a space so that the final product is a series of symbols displayed as a single wrapped line with symbol, symbol, symbol, etc. with a final comma at the end. This final display is saved as a plain ASCII comma delimited .txt file. This saved file is directly importable to TC through the directions given by Dano.

One reason I like to use WP or MS Word is because I can cut and paste as many symbol screens as I want from various sources into a particular page then use a macro to do the find / replace and format work in a flash. It's fast and I can combine many different screens for inclusion into a final analysis for similar patterns or selection criteria.

The only problem I've found is one particular website list I like to use doesn't give symbols, they only list the company names. I haven't found any place that will take a list of names and return a list of symbols automatically for them. What I do is create an EasyScan using the highest and tightest criteria I can from the general market to get a consistant list of acceptable candidates. Then I sort both lists alphabetically, place them side by side in reduced size windows, scan from one to the other, and click in the ES to eventually copy to another working watchlist. This takes longer but it is a work around if needed. To me that particular list is worth it.

Have fun.