Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Hindenburg Omen Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
pthegreat
Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 10:27:50 PM

I think this thread should have been under stock and market talk. have a look, let me know what you think. 

http://forums.worden.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=48540
pthegreat
Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 10:45:41 PM

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/hindenburg-omen-here

they claim that the NYSE has 3126 stocks, and thus 2.2% of 3126 = 69.

anyway, let me get back to my own indicators.
davidjohnhall
Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 11:06:11 PM

Looking back at historical data, the probability of a move greater than 5% to the downside after a confirmed Hindenburg Omen was 77%, and usually takes place within the next forty-days.

I like that part the best.  With the stocks I trade I can guarantee with 100% certainty that there will be a 5% move to the downside and the upside within the week.  Such is the nature of volatility.

Plus, the indexes have already seen several moves to the downside (and upside) greater than 5% in the last couple months, and also a -50% move to the downside in 2008.  If it comes I'm sure we'll all survive and some of us will no doubt thrive.  I think the Omen believers are looking for another -50% downside move but that's not what the omen predicts...

I personally keep seeing buy signals and sell signals everywhere.  I personally like buying and enough of my trades are working out to keep me doing what I'm doing.  If they start getting too sloppy, I'll take a break...

diceman
Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 11:13:32 PM
QUOTE (pthegreat)
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/hindenburg-omen-here

they claim that the NYSE has 3126 stocks, and thus 2.2% of 3126 = 69.

anyway, let me get back to my own indicators.

I heard that 2.2% was the "old" number.

Its creator changed it (now) to 2.5% to adjust for decimalization.

Thanks
diceman
pthegreat
Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 11:27:49 PM

Yea, If we had to wait for a Hindenburg to fly over in order to get a 5+% move, I'd better stick to my day-job.  :-)
Was just curious to see if we could re-produce the indicator in SF. But the numbers don't quite agree.
diceman
Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:24:20 AM
"Looking back at historical data, the probability of a move greater than 5% to the downside after a confirmed Hindenburg Omen was 77%, and usually takes place within the next forty-days."

Just use a 6% stop and the problem is solved. (heh, heh)

Thanks
diceman

ben2k9
Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:19:58 PM

I have a few problems with this so-called Hindenberg Omen. 

First, no one had EVER even heard of this until 2 weeks ago, now an hour doesn't pass where I don't read about this all over the main stream financial press.  I'm sure my dad, who knows zero about investing, is going to call me up to ask me about it. 

Secondly, the signal is triggered when a certain number of stocks reach new highs, while a certain number reach new lows.  This go around, most of the "stocks" reaching new highs, are actually closed-end fixed income funds.  Hardly a stock, per se.  Extracting these from the tally, and you don't have the conditions present to trigger the signal.

Third, the name HIndenberg Omen is just so over-the-top..I find it ridiculous. [this third point is more qualitative, I guess you could say]

The market is like a combination lock that changes the code every time.  Figuring out what indicators did what in the past can sometimes be useful, but in my experience by the time the code is broken and wise guys try to use it, the market has already changed the combination.

funnymony
Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:42:20 PM

i first heard about the hindenberg back in 2007, just before the crash. its been around. in a nutshell, equal new highs and new lows shows a mixed up market. hard to argue that this market doesn't fit that description.
diceman
Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:17:14 AM

I've heard of this a while ago.
(supposedly it was called this because "Titanic" Syndrome was taken)

The more common version of this is Norman Fosback's High Low Logic Index.
(Wordens T2105 Indicator)

I try and stay away from all the mumbo-jumbo,
basically its saying divergent markets are not healthy.

Thanks
diceman

funnymony
Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:42:13 AM

gotta admit, its a cool name, but when somethings getting this much publicity you know what usually happens.
traderm30
Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:21:01 PM
It fails to happen is my guess...
bknight
Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:01:06 PM

As funnymoney said it has been around for awhile.  I have a text document that is dated early 2006, but it was probably around before this.

Diceman could you provide a link to the T2105 indicator, I couldn't find it.

QUOTE (ben2k9)
I have a few problems with this so-called Hindenberg Omen. 

First, no one had EVER even heard of this until 2 weeks ago, now an hour doesn't pass where I don't read about this all over the main stream financial press.  I'm sure my dad, who knows zero about investing, is going to call me up to ask me about it. 

Secondly, the signal is triggered when a certain number of stocks reach new highs, while a certain number reach new lows.  This go around, most of the "stocks" reaching new highs, are actually closed-end fixed income funds.  Hardly a stock, per se.  Extracting these from the tally, and you don't have the conditions present to trigger the signal.

Third, the name HIndenberg Omen is just so over-the-top..I find it ridiculous. [this third point is more qualitative, I guess you could say]

The market is like a combination lock that changes the code every time.  Figuring out what indicators did what in the past can sometimes be useful, but in my experience by the time the code is broken and wise guys try to use it, the market has already changed the combination.

diceman
Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 12:41:47 AM

Symbol   T2105.

Thanks