Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Beware of the Conficker Worm/Virus... Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Tootsie
Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:33:07 AM
Has everyone heard about the Conficker computer virus that is supposed to hit computers
world-wide on April 1st?

The Symantec Anti-Virus people say that it may do you more harm than good if you try  to
search for it on google and click on one of those links
for more info  -- So, please don't do that either.

Make sure you are up to date with your windows updates as they have security patches you can download.
And, make sure your anti-viral software is up to date but it may not be a good idea to visit their
websites for updates as the conficker could be waiting for you when you visit the site.

Just a heads up about what I've heard.
Sparkly
Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:21:13 AM

I have tried every antivirus and spyware under sun and now use what most real experts say is best,  Kaspersky suite, more expensive than most but fastest and has small footprint, updates every hour,  feel safe from Conficker worm.   Only area Kaspersky doesn't do best in is spam, but best for virus and spyware and all malware.

realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:56:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up Tootsie ...

I've read a bit about it on the AV boards ...

On a related note ... there is supposed to be a report released out of Canada today ... about malware that has been traced back to China ... that has infected diplomatic computers around the world ... and data-mined info back to China ...

BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:00:10 PM

Uhh!  I am so scared.  Back to 2000 the new millenium, and computer clocks.  
Fear promotes growth - It is so easy.  Yes lets all go and buy tons of security software, which actually does nothing but weaken your machine.

Think about it - if the hackers wanted to really do harm - Do you really think that anyone would know it is coming?

By the way, the best antivirus software is made be Avast.  It is not available for UNIX then it is a joke.
As it is NORTON, TrenMicro, Karpesky, and Symantec.

Sparkly
Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 5:22:39 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)

Uhh!  I am so scared.  Back to 2000 the new millenium, and computer clocks.  
Fear promotes growth - It is so easy.  Yes lets all go and buy tons of security software, which actually does nothing but weaken your machine.

Think about it - if the hackers wanted to really do harm - Do you really think that anyone would know it is coming?

By the way, the best antivirus software is made be Avast.  It is not available for UNIX then it is a joke.
As it is NORTON, TrenMicro, Karpesky, and Symantec.

You very ignorant about Kasperksy lumping with Norton, no flame.  I have used Avast/AVG, Trend, Symantec/Norton, McAfee.  I don't use UNIX, so don't give a flip.