Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: Tootsie
About
User Name: Tootsie
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 81
[0.03% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: The Dan Zanger Ba-Zillion Dollar Challenge
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 12:00:32 AM
QUOTE (davidjohnhall)
I'm not happy with this simulator now -- too restrictive, so not very realistic as I had hoped.

Yeah, I would definitely not find the simulator suitable for day trading practice.  I find it works great for anything beyond that time frame though. 

There are some great trading simulators that work very well for day trading simulation: Think or Swim Paper money being one of them.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with how they handle my swing trades. But, I want the ability to do it all.
Topic: How are we supposed to calculate most recent ATRs now?
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:57:21 PM
QUOTE (diceman)

"Are you sure worden is not doing its own calculations right now?"
==========================================

Obviously I've never investigated it but
I believe the data is purchased from a vendor.

The actual stock exchanges have to determine what's real.
(for example I heard that they will let PG trade data stand)

Then the data vendor will clear up whatever is deemed
necessary.
(which still may not be what you like becasue they use a
very long ruler to measure)

Thanks
diceman

So, what about yahoo? Are they not purchasing from a vendor who gets their data from the exchanges?
If so, why would their data be inconsistent with Wordens?
Besides, StockGuy said they were working to correct the low price discrepancies but were not finished with everything yet. This sounds (to me) like they are making manual changes. But, I don't know what they are doing really because they won't respond here to my post.

Personally, I would advise them to do what I did and just remove 5/6/10 data totally until everything is sorted out by the exchanges. Because this is really messing up there chart data. They've got, for instance, 5/6/10 highs and lows posted with 5/7/10 closing prices above each daily stock chart.
What's up with that?
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:48:04 PM
QUOTE (Frankp999)

Tootsie
How are you eliminating this data from the Worden data? 

Frank

Frank,

I use the export to text feature in telechart to download text files of historical data for open, high, low , close, volume for each stock symbol. I am then able to write my own proprietary programs to manipulate these historical data files. I wrote a program utility to eliminate as many days of data from each file as I would like to see done. After the files have been manipulated in this way, I can then have my software load the days that I want to put back in. I can tell the program not to put 5/6/10 back into the files.
Then I can run other programs to perform scans on the files much like you do with the telechart personal criteria formulas. I don't use pcf's. I just use telechart's export to text feature to build historical files for each stock and then I use my own programs to do scans and file manipulations.
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:48:04 PM

Well, since Worden has not responded to my last question, I went ahead and ran my own test.
I compared results of various stock data calculation both with the  5/6/10 data in place as well as with its total removal. And, I must conclude that I feel safer using the data totally void of 5/6/10.
So, when all the dust is settled and the final lows are updated (whenever that will be) then that is when I will put the 5/6/10 data back in. But, not before.

Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:02:34 AM
QUOTE (diceman)
It is what it is.

What the heck do you think happened in the crash of 1987?

If you dont like the number you get make up your own.

Worden doesnt make up the stock data. It comes from the exchanges.

Thanks
diceman

Are you sure worden is not doing its own calculations right now?
The changes they are making are different in many cases from the yahoo quotes.
And, I don't think the exchanges have totally settled on how many more stocks will need adjusting just yet. The final decisions may not be decided and done until later next week for all I know.

So, I was just wondering if it would bettter to exclude 5/6/10 data until everything is settled and then put the data back in afterwards?
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:30:55 AM
QUOTE (Tootsie)
For those of us who can just discard all stock data for 5/6/2010 (Open, High, Low, Close, Volume), is this the best solution for calculating the most recent 10-day or 30-day ATRs?

Telechart moderators, please advise here.
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:29:51 AM
For those of us who can just discard all stock data for 5/6/2010 (Open, High, Low, Close, Volume), is this the best solution for calculating the most recent 10-day or 30-day ATRs?
Topic: Data Cleanup - May 6
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:12:11 AM
QUOTE (StockGuy)
Quite a few of those symbols have already been adjusted, Tootsie.  XGC is just one example and now shows a low on 5/6 of $13.48.  This low still produces an ugly down spike on the chart but this is the final reported low by the exchanges.

I'm not saying they've all been corrected and we'll get to them, but even after correction you can still have what looks like incorrect data on the chart.

Stockguy,

What's the status of these adjustments?
Are they all done or  will there still be more to do? If so, do you think they will all be corrected before Monday afternoon?
Posted: Friday, May 7, 2010 4:17:39 PM
QUOTE (wwrightjuly4)
Brokerage  Response:

Trades of QID which executed between 2:40pm and 3:00pm were "busted" by the exchanges if they executed 60% above or below the price point of $18.10 per share, or $7.24 or less on the downside and $28.96 or more on the upside.  I sincerely regret that your trade, which executed at $14.50 per share during that time frame, did not fall within these parameters and is therefore not eligible for adjustment.

wwright,
I doubt if you are the only one getting screwed over this.
Further action, if possible, may be required.
Posted: Friday, May 7, 2010 4:08:50 PM
No, I understand StockGuy.
I did notice that even though some of the data was corrected that it still was not reflected in the chart.
Do you think you can notify us when all of the updates for the data errors are completed for these symbols because we may not be able to tell by the charts. Thanks.