Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Some possible poppers Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:11:40 AM

STEM
LMRA
NEOL (major potential)
GIB (not my usual bottom feeding style; Diceman will be so proud of me)
ACAD (here's one just smacking us in the face yelling, "Buy me! Would someone please buy me?!"
MED (this one seems to have some spizzerinctum...my mother's word...hope I didn't just say something dirty!
OSUR (has to break thru a little resistance first)

There! that should keep you busy for a while.
mammon
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:18:00 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Spizzerinctum? YOUR Mothers word? Then we must be brothers. She from Louisiana?

Mammon
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:22:11 AM

No, a Washington DC native; then moved to No VA where I was born (just before they discovered dirt).
diceman
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:28:31 AM
"(this one seems to have some spizzerinctum...my mother's word...hope I didn't just say something dirty! "

----------------------------------------------------------------

spizzerinctum is OK.

spizzerinktum is the one we cant say.

OOOPS!!!!

Thanks
diceman
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:31:14 AM

Funny, I thought about the "k" spelling and thought it just looked too much like other "inktums" we might think of.
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:33:24 AM

And, mammon, I think we are brothers...you have those same striking good looks.
hohandy
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:35:43 AM
By Editors of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate
Dictionary, Tenth Edition
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | Dear Editor:

My nephew claims that there is a word, ‘spizzerinctum,’ that means something like ‘zest for life.’ I looked in several dictionaries and did not find this word. It sounds to me like something he made up and I wonder if he is pulling my leg.
—B.P., Deerfield, Ill.

Dear B.P.:

Over the years we've answered a number of queries like yours about ‘spizzerinctum’ (a word that has had many spelling variants). Here's one from a letter written in 1917: ‘ I have just had a discussion about some such word as `spizzarinctum.' Last winter I heard a speaker use the word and say that it then was the newest word in the English vocabulary and meant `vim and vigor.' My friends maintain that there is no such word. Could you kindly advise me? ’

‘Spizzerinctum’ is one of those words that people love to discover. It is indeed a real word — real enough to be entered in our unabridged Webster's Third New International Dictionary, where it is defined as ‘the will to succeed; vim, energy, ambition.’

Spelled ‘spizarinctum,’ this peculiar word was used in the mid-1800s for ‘specie,’ that is, for money in the form of coins. In fact, the word ‘spizarinctum’ is thought to be simply a ‘fanciful coinage’ from ‘specie.’ It has been further theorized that the word derives in whole from Latin ‘specie rectum,’ literally, ‘the right kind’ — but that etymology appears to be a misguided attempt to make something more of good old American slang than is warranted. Here's the word used with a slightly different spelling in 1869, by someone writing about ‘greenbacks,’ or paper money: ‘They (greenbacks) had gotten no further west than Marshall (Texas), and everywhere west of that, when a man named a price, he meant `spizerinctums.’'

A 1913 street car sign in Washington, D.C., announcing the publication of a new dictionary featured ‘spizzerinktum’; ‘See if you can find the word in any other dictionary,’ the sign boasted. As ‘pizzeringtum’ the word was noted circa 1922 as meaning ‘the quintessence of pep.’ ‘Spizerinkum’ was defined in a 1944 book of U.S. Marine slang as ‘intestinal fortitude.’

Over the years the word has had some other meanings, most notably ‘tawdry adornment or ornamentation, as on a building; gimcrackery,’ a definition that may have been based solely on its use in the 1930s by a senator who described an old building in Washington D.C., as ‘covered with gimcrackers and spizerinktoms.’ Another senator, when asked, ‘Did you see any spizerinktoms?’ supposedly replied, ‘I didn't know where to look.’

A mayor in Columbus, Ohio, is said to have been fond of the word in the 1950s and `60s, but in general the word seems to have floated in and out of popularity.

Now it may be experiencing something of a revival. Not so long ago, a catalog featuring chickens for breeding even described one particular breed as noted for being ‘especially endowed with spizzerinktum.’
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:22:50 AM

So....what's the ticker symbol for Spizarinktum again?
scottnlena
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:53:18 PM

I'm gonna be shure and use it as much as possible when eve I go "out and About" in my little Iowa town. They'll think i'm nuts, jewish (deeply fundamentalist comunity), or foreign. but maybee we can start a word fad.
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:05:38 PM

Watch NEOL tomorrow morning. As long as the markets aren't in a slump, you should be able to get 1-2% out of it.
tobydad
Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 11:35:04 AM

ACAD is one good looking chart.
gatman08
Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 11:21:51 PM
What is it you see in ACAD?
tobydad
Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:30:24 PM

gatman08
Up close, ACAD has:
1) A very orderly retreat after a 100% price leap on huge volume in March
2) Immediate support from LR30
3) Good support from LBB20 and bands pinching
4) TSV26 huge in March and now right around 0 line with its bb13 pinching and supporting
5) OBV is flying and way above its LR255
6) Strong very short term stochs
7) Support at this level from gap up in Jan/Feb 2006

Then look at the pattern itself. It's a little easier to see on weekly, zoom 1.
On the gap up in Jan/Feb 2006 the prices floated upward after the volume/price burst (rather bearish forward looking indicator). For support to fail in Apr/May 2006 should be no real surprise.

Compare it with the very orderly downward descent on diminishing volume after the surge in March 2007 (a very bullish forward looking pattern).

As well, look at the beautiful W pattern that occurs between early-2006 and March 2007 with volume performing perfectly; reduced volume on downward descents and increasing on upward climbs.

This setup looks fabulous. Tons of potential. The risk is, of course, that monstrous gap in March of this year. If the markets are "Shanghai'd" (and we must assume there will be no little impact from that), then this support may not hold and then it's a free fall to who knows where?

But if this support holds, I would expect a very handsome move up from here over the next several months.

I hope that's helpful.
tobydad
Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:32:03 PM

By the way, MED also looking very promising if it clears Friday's high.
tobydad
Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:42:25 PM

One more comment on ACAD: if support fails now due to market weakness (in other words, not because of some fundamental failure on the part of the company's leadership, product offerings or what have you), then I strongly recommend putting it on a watchlist as the move up will be just as strong or even stronger once it finds the next support level down.
hohandy
Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:09:21 PM
Tobydad - question - it appears from this list that you're doing an OBV > 255LR sort (quite enthusiastically, I might add!)

I've become a big fan of the tsv26bb13 30lr indicator setup. Do you use this OBV/255LR in combination with that, or on it's own?
tobydad
Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:00:17 PM

hohandy;
I use the OBV/255LR primarily as a confirmation after finding the charts I like with the LR30 and tsv26bb13 setup.

As I've said before, even though I kid around about bottom feeding, I really don't. I just typically catch stocks in their very early transition into an uptrend. The obv>LR255 sort of sorts out the ones that aren't quite there yet. It's just a good visual confirmation to help me see if I've drawn my trendlines correctly.

On the other hand, there are market occasions where I'll sort with the OBV>LR255 first, then use the tsv26bb13 to pick the precise time for entry. Or I might use this sequence when I'm sorting picks from a strong industry group, etc. In other words, take a strong industry group, sort for OBV>LR255, put those in a watchlist, then use the tsv26bb13 and LR30 to pick entry times.

Hope this makes sense.
lpark
Posted : Sunday, May 27, 2007 11:42:04 AM
Here are some interesting prospects for Tuesday. BBI, LCRX, MDT,IDMI, HWAY, MTL & SVR.