Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

IVAN Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
winston00
Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:44:30 PM
Placed this on a watch list last week, but never entered......

Anyone believe this would be a candidate on a pull back?
malcolmb14
Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:22:11 PM
I did ...I bought on pull back last week at 1.42 ..sold out at 1.55 thinking I did well ..then bamm !!! .. oh well

The technology they have been successful with is worth it's weight in gold ... to convert heavy crude to light crude ! ...still think this is a target as it is way under it's 52 week high. Will buy on the pull back
krieger
Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:02:29 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

I bought today after I saw it went above its high of a few days ago. In at 1.84, more at 2.04 got nervous and sold 1/2 at 2.30.

More luck than anything,now sitting here flipping a coin, out at these levels, or ride the inevetable correction???
HaveNoCents
Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:10:14 AM
To me, when a stock gives you that kind of move in 1 day, I get out. No reason to be greedy. Fast moving speculative stocks are really dangerous.

I really got burned on ameritrade in 1999 with the same type of speculation. It moved way up in a two or three day period. I sold half right away. I got greedy, and the market was moving so fast that I couldn't get out of the stock without losing everything I gained.

My rule is if any stock gives me 10% in less than a week I am totally until the stock comes back to earth. I know that sometimes I lose out on some really huge moves, but it seems that more often than not, most of the gain is given back and your money is tied up for months before it reaches that level again, if ever.
motmouth
Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:37:17 AM
Agree with you Havenocents. I remember a CEO of JNJ once saying that his goal was to increase revenue by 15% a year. It seemed small, but then later he pointed out that when compounded it meant that the company doubled in size every 5 years. JNJ was a $6B company then (early 80's). Today they are around $162B (yes, there have been acquisitions but you have to be doing well to be the acquirer).
Using Havenocents 10% gain a week, that translates to about 250% a year (on a straight linear basis, allowing for some holidays). I'll take that anytime!
motmouth
Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:48:29 AM
Re: IVAN:
I forgot to add to my other post that I believe IVAN is benefitting from the "dawning realization" that $60 oil is not a flash, but rather here to stay. You now have 60% of the former underdeveloped (China & India) or non-participating (Soviet block) world growing at 5-6% a year. When the US did 2-3% in the 90's it was considered a boon! Not a reason to panic just understand that charts reflect reality.
My caution is don't think that the metrics (eg. TSV, MS, BOP ...etc) can drive the chart. Its the other way around.
Take your gain (eg. Havenocents 10% a week) and move on to the next chart.
Happy charting!
krieger
Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:47:46 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Well..... got out of all my shares today @ 2.70, these were from the position of 1.84..........I sure have a knack for bailing out right at the intra-day lows

I'm happy overall, but wish I could have squeezed it a little more.
malcolmb14
Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:13:51 PM
kreiger ... I know what you are saying .. sold GIGM today for a profit of 8% in three day .. right at intraday low !!! sold at 4.22 .. it then proceeded to trade back up to 4.87 high ...sigh. But could have gone the other way ...

I think that IVAN still has some juice left in it yet. It has not tested the high of 3.23 that it made about a year ago. My feeling is that it will hit this then pull back.
HaveNoCents
Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:57:33 PM
I have no guts when it comes to a stock like this. It has just about doubled over it's resistance in three days. If it can go up that fast, it can go down even faster. No guts, no glory, but I'm staying away until the stock becomes more predictable.
malcolmb14
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 12:34:01 AM
Oh well ...I was right in some ways. It blew through resistance in pre market ..probably shorts shorting the stock. Then it went down 30 ish % to a low of -7% (2.65). I bought right on this level on an oversold half hour chart...sold out moments later at 2.93.

Still like this stock for a trade ... huge volume today.