Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: DJOlde
About
User Name: DJOlde
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 15
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Pyramiding
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:09:37 PM
TO: Jim Murphy

Thank you, Jim.  I stand corrected.
Topic: Next possible good group
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:59:59 PM

george631  Just watch your stocks.....DAILY and you wont need stops.  Becasue of all this volitility, its very difficult so set trailing stops and there is nothing worse than getting stopped out right before a stock takes off. 

Topic: Tobacco time??
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:51:31 PM

sharppolly  Your picks don't provide enough upside potential.  PM is the only security in the cigarette category that  is ready to pop right now.  (no guarantee, of course. I do not own this stock).  Good luck!

Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 11:50:46 AM
Scottnlena, thanks for you input .  As I said, I don't use this method very often and only if I am confident with my position. For example if the Dow & S&P are both trending up and volume is good, but, for some unidentifyable reason, the stock heads south, I will sometimes buy more if indicated.  The knowledge that if a stock loses 25% value, it takes a 50% increase in price to make up for it  is something that I learned the hard way.  
I do not know how to use puts and calls.  I've only been trading actively for about four years.  Perhaps if/when I retire I can expand my knowlege base, but for the time being, I'll just stick with Shorts and Longs.

Thanks for your advice.  Good luck and good trading.
Topic: Risk Calculator
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:41:37 PM
Wow, you guys are sophisticated traders.  I've never seen anything like that.  I just look at the charts and draw lines to plot entry/exit points.  I'll have to study this Risk Calc business. Thanks for the link, Showme!
Topic: Watch out not to get gored !
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:34:57 PM
I hope that you are right, but don't forget tomorrow, Jan 16, is Jan Option Expiration Day and historically, exparation days tend to be extremely volatile. 
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:27:13 PM

I use this as a defensive measure.  Like, if I buy a stock and it starts going down precipitously, and I still have faith in my position, I will buy more at a lower price to hege my position.  I don't do this a lot anymore because I've gotten pretty good at buying at the beginning of an up trend and selling at the end.  That is how I measure the (personal) success of my trades.  I understand that hedge funds and institutional buyers use you method of easing in/out a positon (pyramiding) because, obviously, buying 50,000 shares of BA, for example, in one order would not be prudent money management.  I usually buy 100 share blocks, so its not a big deal for me.  If I buy fewer shares, broker costs will have a big impact.

Topic: Next possible good group
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:07:07 PM
Thanks Apsll for the excellent stocks.  My own picks these days share the same chart pattern.  I guess great minds think alike. In my opinion, the best entry point for stocks with this pattern is when the DJ-30 MACD turns  up and intersects.  I don't use the stock's MACD as my primary indicator, only confirmation. I use the DJ-30 as my entry indicator because, as the saying goes, 'the trend is your friend'.   At these levels, I like dividend payers, too, the bigger the better. There are tons of them sharing this pattern.   Good luck and good trading!   
Topic: Another good batch
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:30:10 PM
For a company that makes no money, those managers at GNBT are making a killing.  I would not buy this stock just for that:

Ms. Anna E. Gluskin , 58
Chairman, Chief Exec. Officer and Pres
$ 729.00K $ 0
Ms. Rose C. Perri , 42
Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Principal Accounting Officer, Sec., Treasurer
$ 576.00K $ 0
Dr. Gerald Bernstein M.D, 76
VP of Medical Affairs
$ 200.00K $ 0
Mr. Mark Fletcher Esq., 43
Exec. VP and Gen. Counsel
$

Besides, no offense, but $0.33/share is really slumming.  Good luck!
Topic: Is anyone making money??
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:21:48 PM

I came back into the market in late Nov.  Market is pretty flat these days.  Working the channels really hard, but Fri knocked me down. -2.5% as of market close Fri. Now my dog won't come out from under the bed.