Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Is anyone making money?? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
thekubiaks
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 8:54:07 PM
I am using linear regression lines at different time intervals (3, 7, 11, 15, 20 minute time frames) and watching the the market for continuity.  All I am seeing is indecisive patterns of fighting between the bulls and bears.  I use colors (red is linear angles < zero, yellow for 0 to + 10 degrees, and green for angles > 10 degrees)   I thought I'd share this since it might help someone out there in TV land.  I can see the "waves" graphically as the market goes back and forth.  The pattern turns VERY green when a rally kicks into gear.    Do I do this in TC2000?   No, I do this in Tradestation RadarScreen.  Am I making money??  NO, I sit here and wait for waves of green to jump on the momentum but all I am seeing is "cycling" back and forth between seas of red and green..  SO, back to the original question, is anybody dialed in??  

btw, APSLL, your calls on 12/29/08 have been doing fairly well, I am tracking your calls, what criteria were you using, thx.
Apsll
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 9:29:44 PM

Right now I am using the following scan 

All stocks
price $7 to $70
volume avg 30 days > 70,000 (type 700)
Institutional support 40% to max (keep an eye on the float)

I am getting adept at using custom date sort to form patterns that match as close to the Indexes as possible making sure the any break-outs are two days or less old.

I put all these into a watch list and then scroll through them one at a time using different templates and looking for a reason to discard them. In the end I am left with a small handful that I feel meet all my criteria.

It is a unique process but it works for me.

The Templates ar varied, on some I use TSV & Money stream with BOP Others I use custom indicators that I designed my self. For me it is just after many many years of looking at thousands and thousand of charts. You strat to remember set ups and how they worked out in the past when other conditions are in place now that were also in place back then.

I will agree with what has already been said and I will not dispute the facts. If you are comfortable and confident with shorting the market then that is the best way to make big profits in these Bearish times. 

Some folks are just Bullish by nature, like myself and those folks are who I am posting for. If you are into options and shorting then there is no need to even be reading my threads. I only say this so that hopefully my critics will understand my motives...
tobydad
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 10:01:38 PM

I'm blessed to say that I'm making money. Portfolio up 20% in a few days. Then another 10% today. 

These are longs. Fundamentally sound stocks temporarily beaten down. Using Tobydad profile to filter out the right time to buy.
tobydad
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 10:01:39 PM

I'm blessed to say that I'm making money. Portfolio up 20% in a few days. Then another 10% today. 

These are longs. Fundamentally sound stocks temporarily beaten down. Using Tobydad profile to filter out the right time to buy.
tobydad
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 10:02:20 PM

Oops.
thekubiaks
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 10:12:26 PM
Congrats,   I need to re-evaluate my momentum strategies and study your past posts for your scans and thoughts.  No disrespect intended but did you get lucky in this "Santa Claus rally" or have you been doing well in up and down markets??  Regards...
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 11:31:19 PM

QUOTE (thekubiaks)
Congrats,   I need to re-evaluate my momentum strategies and study your past posts for your scans and thoughts.  No disrespect intended but did you get lucky in this "Santa Claus rally" or have you been doing well in up and down markets??  Regards...

There is only now startign to be some interestign looking long stuff.  If you've been buying  the last few months yo've probably been getting clobbered.  If you are buying momentum stocks when there are veryy few upward momentum moves happening then naturaly you will be frustrated.
Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:26:18 AM

Thekubiaks, I do not know if your last guestion was directed at me or Tobydad. For me yes I have always traded long in every market. My trading styles and scans change to meet the new conditons. and they are all avalable if you look them up along with my stock picks and their success.
Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:27:56 AM

I will admit that when the markets are in free fall then I am sitting on the sidelines as my scans are usually non productive.
DJOlde
Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:21:48 PM

I came back into the market in late Nov.  Market is pretty flat these days.  Working the channels really hard, but Fri knocked me down. -2.5% as of market close Fri. Now my dog won't come out from under the bed.