Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Parallels client Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Kev7
Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:27:47 AM

I do not have access to my computer during the day and my cell phone is not able to do what I need it to. The tv2000 app is great but I need more size and capability. I discovered parallels client yesterday and plan on buying a tablet today, preferably an iPad solely for the purpose of viewing tc2000. I have a few questions:

is parallels client better or operate better for either iOS, Android, chrome cast? 

If I buy a windows based tablet do I bypass parallels client all together? If it is bypassed, how would you rate user interface with touch screen?

again, I am not able to use a laptop, only a tablet any suggestions will be helpful.

thanks!

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:20:47 AM

Worden Trainer

A full version of Windows is probably going to be slightly better than running TC2000 using the Parallels Client. That said, I have found the difference to be minor and even unnoticiable in most cases (dependiong on your internet speed). For me, the difference would not be worth the additional cost of getting a tablet running a full version of Windows (unless you are going to be on slow internet).

If you are planning on running anything else requiring Windows, then a tablet running a full version of Windows (such as a full blown Surface tablet) is your best bet. Note you would probably want a decent one in this case. I have a tablet I bought for $50 a few years ago during a Black Friday sales which will run TC2000 natively. It isn't bad, but running TC2000 Anywhere on my phone is better.

I run TC2000 Anywhere on Android (both phone and tablet) and on a Kindle Fire HD 10 (which is just an Android variant), but a colleague who uses it regularly on a much wider variety of devices thinks the best experience is on an iPad. Of what I use, the Android phone and tablet are better than the Kindle (even though the client is identical). I don't really know why the Kindle doesn't do as well as the other Android devices.

The touch screen experience is not bad. It is pretty much on par with just using a mouse without TC2000. That said, I really prefer to have a physical keyboard to be able to do shortcuts versus using the virtual keyboard with the Android Client. You can generally get a small keyboard that will match up with your tablet and not take up much additional space (especially if the case is designed to handle both the tablet and keyboard).

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Kev7
Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:58:13 PM

Thank you for the thorough response. I appreciate it. 

I agree with you, having the keyboard accessory with touchpad is important. If I do have this accessory attached to the tablet, when I use the cursor with the touchpad and I click on my watchlist to move it to the other side of the screen for example, will it always show up with a circle followed by blue outlining the circle, illustrating the loading? I see this when I use my finger on the screen and I feel this kind of slows my process down. I am essentially trying to find out if using that touchpad on an external keyboard accessory will speed up the process of moving things around and copying symbols to new lists, etc..

I am using a friends iPad at the moment without the keyboard accessory. I really like the parallels client app but it can be a bit slow. Also, apple does not make keyboard accessory with touchpad, but just the external keyboard. Whereas both Microsoft and Samsung have keyboard with touchpad.

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 9:38:54 AM

Worden Trainer

I don't have a mouse or trackpad attached to any of my tablets or phones (but as mentioned do use a keyboard most of the time), so I can't say for sure. I am asking around to see if anybody else has tried using the iOS or Android client with a pointer device (it seems likely somebody has, but we will see).

I don't recall ever seeing the circle you describe in the Android client at all (although maybe I am misunderstanding your description), but my guess is it is a "loading icon" of some sort. I have a 20ms ping time to the server and a synchronous 1 Gbps connection. If my guess is correct, it would be a result of a large portion of the screen changing at once. Large graphics changes can involve large amounts of data needing to be moved which can slow things down with a sub-optimal internet connection.

So if my guess is correct, I don't think having a trackpad on the keyboard would eliminate the blue circle. There might still be advantages for you since you wouldn't have to move your hands as far to use the touchpad compared to touching the screen.

What would help if this is actually the issue would be running natively on a tablet with a full version of Windows since only the relatively low bandwidth stock data and program data needs to be transferred in this case compared to the larger bandwidth of transferring grahpics data.

I will try to find out if the blue circle is in fact a "loading icon" by asking around as well. If push comes to shove I can and will disconnect from wifi and test it on cellular data, but this would be a last resort for me as I do not currently have an unlimited data plan.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Kev7
Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 10:30:11 AM

Bruce- the blue circle is absolutely illustrating the loading process. It is not a problem, I assure you. The iPad I used yesterday was an older version. 

I am not going to purchase the lesser expensive surface go from Microsoft due to bad battery reviews. 

Right now the less expensive iPads and galaxy range from $180-250. Thus it is inexpensive so I’m not worried about it! Really all I want is to see multiple timeframes and be able to quickly scan chart to chart, of which I can. If I happen to move things around and it takes a few extra seconds, I Think I can handle it.

there is no need to pursue this further but I appreciate your willingness to do so! You are a great asset for this company and if I need anything else I will let you know.

I can send an update once I purchase one.

thanks again

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 11:04:05 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome. I am looking forward to any updates you might provide.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles