Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Differing opening prices depending on timeframes? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
bison36
Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:56:35 AM

Hello,

Basically, when looking at stocks on a few different time frames, such as the 30 min, daily, or 5 min, etc., I'm getting different opening prices for the day depending on which one I look at. Don't know why that would be the case, and yes, I'm checking the opening price on the first bar for each day, so the first 5 min bar on the day, has a different opening price than what the daily bar for the day says it has.

If they are supposed to be different for some reason, would love to know the reasons for the difference so I'm able to deciepher which opening price to base my strategy off of. 

For an example today, I'm looking at $ANY and the daily bar says it opened at 6.5, while the 30 min had 6.08. Literally as I've been writing this post however, it did correct itself and put them all at 6.50, so maybe just a little slow?

Thanks!

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:18:33 AM

Worden Trainer

The opening price in each time frame is a more complicated subject than you might think for lower volume stocks that might not trade immediately at the open.

TC2000 adds a bar for each time increment in a time frame even if there aren't any trades. If this is the case, the open, high, low, and close of the bar without trades will be close of the previous bar.

So if there isn't a trade in the first minute of the trading day, the first one minute bar will have a price reflecting the close of the previous trading day.

Longer time frames are in some cases constructed from shorter time frames instead of being constructed completely from the tick time frame while they are being created.

So imagine then a 5-minute bar being constructed from 1-minute bars. The open would reflect the close of the previous trading day as well if there weren't any trades in the first minute even if the first trade of the day was a minute and 1-second after the open because if it is being constructed from 1-minute bars, the open of the first 1-minute bar of the day would be used as the open of the 5-minute bar.

In general, if I wanted the open, I would look at a daily time frame. It will still reflect the previous close prior to the first trade of the day, but it should display the actual open once there is a trade in TC2000 v18.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
bison36
Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:21:29 AM

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for the quick reply!

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:54:10 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles