Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

getting back into it Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
droberts55
Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:51:06 PM
Its been a few months since I worked with Stockfinder (class, transcripts, etc). can you refresh me?

I'm trying to do a backscan using 2 indicators, DI cross up & chaikin>0. 2 questions a) re sort in WL, & b) re conditionals

a) in WL, puzzled by filter. DI lit 5 stocks, Chaikin lit 91 stocks; I checked filter on each separately & nothing changed in WL, thought maybe it would limit the list to the 5 with both true.

b) dragged the rules to backscanner, seems entry rules scan on just the 1st condition.
also, I want to add a condition for entry "if both are true, then enter next bar above trigger bar close, within 3 bars of signal". how do you do that? I want to enter if trend continues, not if it immediately retraces
What happened to the "and then" conditions?

results show only in the individual stock, not under the Active WL box, update does nothing, results are all zeros.  Enter column shows a color box, I gues indicating that entry was based on the one rule.  I want entry to be conditioned on both true + price being above trigger bar. 

Also, is there an easy way to flip this for a short set up, or do I have to creat a new layout?
Craig_S
Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:51:27 PM

Worden Trainer

Could you share your whole Layout and let me play with it?  It sounds like you want both a Combo and a Sequence Rule for your entries.   Let me know here what name you shared it under in StockFinder.

...and WELCOME BACK!

- Craig
Here to Help!
droberts55
Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:33:00 PM
craig
I actually just got off with JC, answered a couple of the filter questions, & reminded me about combo conditions, ie., just drag one rule over the other.   so that thins down my questions to the following:
a) I'm trying to replicate conditions for a scan I read at OptionVue - conditions met = Set up, but entry Trigger = high(or low) "must be exceeded within 3 days to confirm entry".  Is there a way to do that in SF backtest?  JC suggested editing trade rule with Bars from Now, & interestingly, by bringing it to 0, results improve. But that's still not the Confirm condition I'm looking to create. 

b) Results show for the individual stocks, but not for Active WL, all zeros....wonder why

c) what's the code to paint price candles red down?

Shared layout  "DMI - Chaikin scan"
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:49:36 AM

Worden Trainer

droberts55,
I would Drag and Drop you Combo Rule into the RealCode Editor to create something similar to the first line of the following RealCode Rule:

'# CC = condition.ComboCondition
'# Cumulative
Static TriggerBarClose As Single
Static Count As Single
If isFirstBar Then
    TriggerBarClose = Single.NaN
    Count = Single.NaN
End If
If Price.Last > TriggerBarClose Then
    Pass
    Count = Single.NaN
End If
If CC.Value = True Then
    TriggerBarClose = Price.Last
    Count = 0
End If
Count += 1
If Count >= 4 Then
    Count = Single.NaN
End If

I'm getting over 20,000 trades for the Active WatchList Results in your Shared Layout once it finishes calculating. I do not know why you would not get something similar.

One of the following RealCode Rules (depending on if you see down as being from Close to Close or Open to Close) with the Color set to Red should work in the same fashion as the Rules you are already using to Paint the Price History:

If Price.Last < Price.Last(1) Then Pass

If Price.Last < Price.Open Then Pass

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
droberts55
Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:33:34 PM
Bruce,
thanks.....but, I don't know what I'm doing. a) I dragged the combo rule color button over to the Add Rule button, nothing happened, so I don't know how to drag the rule into the RC Editor; b) I clicked Add rule, selected create in RC, thenI pasted the entire thing you just sent - there was an error, something about data from somewhere else, but it then saved, & appeared on the Rule Palette - named:  "Enter if set up confirmed in 3 bars" (catchy no?).  If that color button is dragged into the backscanner, nothing really happens. 

you say 20K trades occurred? where do you se that count?  you can see my layout, right?  the results under Active Watchlist are zero (before adding the rule), I would have thought adding this rule would have narrowed the results. 

are you saying only use the 1st lines of the code you sent?

re color, you say "....rules you are laready using to paint price history...."  am I already painting PH? just with the check box for "paint when passing".  I don't actually know how to look for the editor to see that code.
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:52:25 AM

Worden Trainer

droberts55,
It reads like you just did things a bit out of order. You need to have the RealCode Editor for a RealCode Rule open first to Drag and Drop the Indicator into it. Select Add Rule | Create in RealCode and then Drag and Drop the Combo Rule into the RealCode Editor to create the first line. You'll copy and paste the rest of the RealCode from my post into the RealCode Editor once this happens (don't copy the first line).

Chances are this first line will look very much like what I've given, but if the RealCode Editor gives the variable a different name than CC, you will want to change it manually to CC so the CC.Value reference later in the RealCode will work.

The 20,000 Trades happen without any alterations to your Shared Layout. All I did was load your Shared Layout, select the Results tab and wait for the Update progress bar at the top of BackScanner to finish. Once it did, the # Trades appears in the Total column.

You already are Painting Price History using the check box for Paint Price when Passing. You will use the same technique with the RealCode Rule you are creating for a Down Day. Select Add Rule | Create in RealCode, paste one of the two RealCode Rules given into the RealCode Editor, change the color to Red and select Apply | OK. You should then be able to left-click on your new Rule and select Paint Price when Passing.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles