Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

telechart RSI Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Hannibal41
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:05:21 PM
can you please tell me the time period that RSI indicator covers, i.e. 50 days, 200 days, etc?

thanks...
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:13:56 PM

Worden Trainer

It depends on the RSI Period, Avg Period, Average Type and if Use Wilders Smoothing is checked or not. If the Average Type is Exponential or Use Wilders Smoothing is checked, it may even depend on what other Indicators are Plotted on the Chart as well.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Hannibal41
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:23:41 PM
actually, i'm referring to the RSI indicator in telechart... it is a parent indicator but does not allow for editing the RS period.... therefore this must be set to a default... i like the way the indicator performs in telechart and wanted to duplicate it in my blocks 3.0... however, i noticed different results because blocks 3.0 requires a specific # of days input to generate results...

does this make sense?
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:28:35 PM

Worden Trainer

Actually the RSI Indicator in TeleChart is a parent indicator that does allow editing the RSI Period.

Select Chart Template | Edit | Edit Wilder's RSI (the icon lcon looks like a hand writing on a piece of paper). This should bring up the Wilder's RSI Settings window where you can adjust these settings. You may wish to review the following:

Customize your charts using Chart Templates
Adding, removing and saving indicators to a chart template

The Relative Strength Indicator (RSI) of Price Indicator in Blocks should allow you to adjust pretty much the same things as TeleChart. RSI allows you to use Wilders Smoothing or not and the Avg Type is the same as in TeleChart.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Hannibal41
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:22:58 PM
au contraire.... you are correct in that the Wilder's RSI allows for editing, but there is also the "Relative Strength" parent indicator that allows comparisons to other symbols and this is what i am referring to... there is no editing for this particular indicator.... it only allows one to change the comparison symbols... however there must be a time period for relative strength... what period is this in terms of days or bars?

thanks...
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:26:44 PM

Worden Trainer

So you mean RS, not RSI? There's absolutely no need for a Period. It is just the Ratio of the Price of the Active Symbol to the Price of the Comparison Symbol.

The Blocks Indicators for this are Symbol RS vs Symbol or Symbol RS vs Industry. They do add a RS Period in an attempt to put the Indicator Values into some perspective (it assigns a baseline of 100 to the ratio that many periods ago).

The lines should be pretty much the same using either method (although the scales will generally be significantly different).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Hannibal41
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:39:19 PM
i'm a bit confused b/c in blocks player the RS vs. Symbol indicator requires one to edit the "RS period" in the quick edit with a numerical input....

have patience with my ignorance, but if what you are telling me is correct, then the ambiguity is confusing

i appreciate you taking the time to respond to my inquiries....
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:00:31 PM

Worden Trainer

The following is taken from TeleChart's Online Help Files:

The relative strength (RS) graph is generated by comparing the relative price performance of any two items (such as two stocks or a stock and a market index). If the RS line is ascending, then the active symbol is out-performing the comparison symbol. If the RS line is descending, the active symbol is under-performing the comparison symbol.

I've Shared a Chart with Symbol RS vs Industry and Symbol RS vs Symbol Indicators that are more similar to what's in TeleChart.

Select Share | Layouts.
Type Hannibal41-31859 and select Search.
Select the Hannibal41-31859 Layout.
Select Open.

I've removed the scales (because they are meaningless), but if you want to add them back to compare them to TeleChart, right-click on the Pane with the Indicator and select Create New | Scale Display.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Hannibal41
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:06:26 PM
thank you very much Bruce... i shall rest my case....
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:13:27 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles