Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Relative Volume Surge Indicator Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
MontyPelerin
Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 5:06:50 PM
Hello,

I am new to Blocks, just having completed the training workshop in Atlanta (which, by the way, was excellent).

I would like to know how to code a new indicator. I call it the Relative Volume Surge Indicator. This indicator relates volume in a specific stock to market/industry volume. Specifically the indicator relates current volume against average volume for a stock as compared to the market or industry.

The formula is a ratio defined as follows: RVSI = A/B where A and B are shown below (in TC 2000 notation):

A = V/AVGV45 for the current watchlist item (I am able to set this up in blocks)
B = V/AVGV45 for the market or industry, defined below (not able to do this)

The rationale for this indicator is to separate stock volume surges/drops from market/industry surges/drops. The plot will usually be in the range of 1.0. Significant deviations (either way) are apt to be meaningful.

There is nothing magical about a MA of 45 periods so I would want to have the moving average period able to be changed via clicking on the indicator rather than having to enter the block diagram. Additionally, I would like also to easily change from market to industry. Market, for my purposes, should be a choice between the DJ 30 and Nas 100 (or perhaps a broader list of indices). Industry should be a choice between Industry and Sub-industry. I realize that I can only do one measure per indicator, but would like the flexibility to look at RSVI in different ways.

Part B is where I am stuck. Specifically, I have two problems:
1. I don't know how to feed volume from an outside (outside the current watchlist) source.
2. I don't know how to make this outside source user-choosable and friendly or even if this aspect is possible.

The calculation in part B is identical to what I have already block diagrammed for A. Only the source of data differs.

Thanks for your assistance,

Larry
StockGuy
Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 10:40:05 PM

Administration

Try these volume surge studies.

Volume Surge vs Market (List) allows you to choose a list like Nas 100 Components, SP500 Components, etc.

Volume Surge vs Industry uses the Main or Sub industry of the active symbol. Volume surge is calculated using the individual members of the main or sub industry. You can switch between Main and Sub industry using QuickEdit.

Volume Surge vs Industry (MG Sym) uses the volume of the associated main or sub industry average, the MG symbols. Results will differ from Vol Surge vs. Industry because the volume for these indexes only uses the symbols in each industry or sub industry that meet the index selection criteria and their volumes are weigthed by the square root of market cap.

Attachments:
Volume Surge vs Market (List).pane - 11 KB, downloaded 654 time(s).
Volume Surge vs Industry.pane - 11 KB, downloaded 626 time(s).
Volume Surge vs Industry (MG Sym).pane - 11 KB, downloaded 630 time(s).

MontyPelerin
Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 5:38:08 AM
Thank you for your quick response, but I am interested in being able to plot the specific indicator I outlined for two reasons:

1. It will enable me to monitor a list of stocks (chosen for reasons other than volume) for volume fluctuations.

2. To enable me to expand my Blocks programming skills so as not to have to use your time.

If you could provide my indicator as requested or tell me what parts of it are not doable in Blocks, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2007 11:21:28 AM

Worden Trainer

MontyPelerin,
Have you tried the attached Panes? If so, can you provide objective feedback as to how they do not meet your original description so we can help you create something that does?

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles