Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Moving average convergence Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
ponchomike
Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 12:01:13 AM

I've been watching the 50, 100, 150, and 200 day moving averages on the SP-500, and see all are converging.  For the most part, the moving averages are relatively flat going into the new year. I also see a symmetrical triangle forming.

I can't remember where, but I seem to remember that when the moving averages converge on an index like this, a big move is about to occur.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?  What about the direction of the move?

Mike
diceman
Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 11:00:17 AM

Its just the nature of the markets going nowhere,
its year end and we’re about even.

Imagine a market trading between 400 and 401 for a year,
you can bet that the averages would be about equal.

We had the same thing except 400 point up days canceled out 400 point down days.

Typically increased volatility follows low volatility.

I expect the dramamine (or is it drama-mean) market to continue
ultimately resolving itself to the downside.
(however that wont really change how I trade)

I think we have at least another year that will be within the 2009 lows
and 2007 highs.

Thanks
diceman

Bill Baker
Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 11:47:13 PM
QUOTE (ponchomike)
I've been watching the 50, 100, 150, and 200 day moving averages on the SP-500, and see all are converging.  For the most part, the moving averages are relatively flat going into the new year. I also see a symmetrical triangle forming.

I can't remember where, but I seem to remember that when the moving averages converge on an index like this, a big move is about to occur.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?  What about the direction of the move?

Mike

Well I like to converge with diceman comments, but further deeper you must keep in mind a few things.
First off all the markets on the greater picture are still in a super bear cycle.
A lower low from the highs in 2007.
Europe is in flames without direction.
Middle east is burning
China is slowing down - so will many comodities.
Inflation is seeping like water in the titanic - hell $3.29 for a loaf of bread, and $3.59 for a gallon of gas.
Our house is falling a part (DC).
Where is our housing sector still?
Where are our jobs?
Where are our local and state economies?
Whre is the dollar?
I can keep on going.
so ask yourself - where are the odds of market breakout - up or down?
PRRWB
Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 11:57:59 PM

QUOTE (ponchomike)

Mike
The symmetricsl triangle on the major indexes already broke to the upside the first day of trading this year.
Bill Baker
Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:04:15 AM
QUOTE (PRRWB)
QUOTE (ponchomike)

Mike
The symmetricsl triangle on the major indexes already broke to the upside the first day of trading this year.
Bill Baker
Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:07:12 AM
You mean the artificial rally that took place premarket on tuesday?
The market hasn't have a single organic rally all week.

Check on m blog just commented and article about that

http://billbakersblog.blogspot.com/