Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: jlsmith
About
User Name: jlsmith
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 31
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: personal criteria formulas
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 9:59:14 PM
No need for a pcf formula. Just plot a 52 bar simple moving average on a weekly chart and sort all stocks by the absolute value of this average. Stocks trading less than 52 weeks will show a value of zero in the sort column. Flag these and move them to their own watchlist. The problem, at least with 2007, is that you'll get a bunch of etf's in the new watchlist. You can get rid of most of these by flagging everything in the etf watchlist and then removing all flagged items from your new watchlist. If version 11 has a watchlist consisting of only common stocks, then this latter problem is solved.
Topic: chart scaling
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 9:39:45 PM
I just downloaded version 11. Two of the pcf indicators I imported are l*.995 and h*1.005. I plot these on the price chart but I can't get them to scale with price like I can on 2007. Also, how do I get rid of the ticker tape?

Thanks.
Topic: Sort values in watch list.
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:24:23 PM
That did the trick. 

Thanks
Topic: Sort values in watch list.
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 11:40:39 AM
Every Friday I run a sort of the actual value of a five day moving average. I'm looking for a value of zero to identify stocks which came public in the last week. This week when I ran the sort, it sorted all the stocks but there was no column in the watch list giving the value. It simply kept the column that was there before I ran the sort, in this case the note dates. If I try to add a column, the only choices I have are the built in sorts. Am I doing something wrong or is this a software problem?
Topic: AMZN trend
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:46:58 PM
If you are new to trading, you must first concentrate on learning to control your risk and minimize your losses. If you buy a fairly volatile stock like Amazon into the earnings report, you will not be able to do this. It could gap right through your stop. Even if I knew exactly what the earnings would be, I still would not buy this stock now, because I wouldn't have a clue how the market would react to the earnings. It coulg gap higher on the open, and turn around to close lower. If it's a stock you want to own for the next 2 or 3 years, wait until after the report.  If you completely miss a great move, don't worry. This is not the last helicopter out of Saigon.
Topic: Finding trend-following candidates
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 9:24:40 PM
That's not what this is looking for. You just want to find markets that have a history of trending.
Topic: Finding trend-following candidates
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 10:41:11 AM
Here's a thought, if you like to use a trend-following system. Display an ADX line using 14 days or whatever your favorite setting is. Then take a long moving average of the ADX. By long, I mean something in the range of 1000-2500 days, if the stock has been aroung that long. Sort by this value to find the stocks that have a long history of being trendy, and these would be suitable candidates for your trend-following system. 

I have no idea if this would be useful, but it sounds reasonable. 

Beans-in-the-teens
Topic: Turning Japanese
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 10:27:03 AM
QUOTE (hiromj)
How can I do this using StockFinder?

Click on the tenkan sen line. Make two rules. The red rule is tenkan crossing below the kijun, and the green rule is the opposite. To find long entry signals, scan your watch list for the red rule. On average, you'll get three to four signals per year on the daily chart of a stock. 

I suspect that these cloud charts, which are basically a trend following method, work much better in the forex. The currencies tend to be more trendy than the liquid large and mid-cap stocks. Hence, I'm trying to use these charts in a way that's not trend-following. My guess is that a good use of these charts for the average technical trader in stocks, is simply to display the cloud as a zone of support or resistance. I'm intrigued by these charts, and will try to learn more about them.

If you think uni is nasty, you wouldn't last five minutes on Iron Chef.

Beans-in-the-teens

Topic: Turning Japanese
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:32:38 PM
QUOTE (ben2k9)
I've learned some about cloud charts but have yet to comprehend why they should be of any value. 

What is Beans in the teens??

Beans-in the teens is a relic from my earlier days as a futures trader. Every spring, when the weather market in grains would start to take off, some lunatic commentator or newsletter writer would proclaim that this was the year we would see beans in the teens, i.e. above $13 per bushel. $8 or $9 was about the highest I ever saw. They came pretty close last summer, I think.

The cloud charts have to be of value. After all, they come from the inscrutable Orient, and consequently, they are at once picturesque, poetic,romantic, and heroic. These people eat octopus and sea urchin roe. You have to take them seriously.

But don't take my word for it. If you have stockfinder, put in the signals i described and see for yourself. If you don't have it, get it. It's a killer.

Beans-in-the-teens-----maybe this year.
Topic: Best day ever
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:33:08 PM
Right on.