Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: MarcM
About
User Name: MarcM
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 59
[0.02% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: $100 Scaling - Window size
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 5:43:32 PM
I want to use $100 scaling to compare stocks to an index such as COMPQX. But I want the scaling to start on 1/4/10. When I try to size the window I can gets the left hand dates to be either 3/9/11 or 10/8/09 by using the + sign next to the Daily option. I want today's date 2/2/11 on the right side of the window. Is there any way to size the window to that specific period - namely 1/4/10 to 2/2/11 so that I can see the full effect of a $100 scaling comparison?
Topic: Delisted Stocks
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:50:54 PM
Thanks. Is there any way to know what stocks have been delisted?
Topic: Delisted Stocks
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:36:25 PM
I am interested in tracking what stocks are delisted from the three major exchanges. I realize that TeleChart deletes any stocks that are delisted on an ongoing basis. What I'm trying to determine is how I could keep track independently of what stocks have been removed.At the beginning of 2010 I created a Watchlist of all of the stocks in the database. Is there any way I could use that Watchlist to find out what symbols no longer exist. Or are the symbols deleted from the Watchlist when they are removed from the database?Again, I don't want a graph or any other data on the delisted stocks. I'll find that out some other way. I simply want to know what stock symbols have been removed.Thanks
Topic: Specific Date
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:57:43 PM
Sounds like a good suggestion.  I will give it a try.  Thanks
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:40:33 PM
Any slick way to find the prior date without hitting the keyboard 200 times?
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:27:55 PM
Is there an easy way to take the close on a specific date (say C'3/11/09') and compare it to a close 200 trading days prior.  I've tried C'3/11/09'.200 but it doesn't seem to work.  I know I can just count the days prior manually using the cursor but is there a better way to find a prior close date without counting manually.
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:26:20 PM
Is there an easy way to take the close on a specific date (say C'3/11/09') and compare it to a close 200 trading days prior.  I've tried C'3/11/09'.200 but it doesn't seem to work.  I know I can just count the days prior manually using the cursor but is there a better way to find a prior close date without counting manually.
Topic: resistance and support
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:05:48 PM
Thanks Jas0501.  I agree with you that I need to test with the least advantageous approach.  The program assumes the low hits first - not the high.  Is that what you intended in you reply?  So in my case it would have stopped out at the $95 as well.

Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:42:35 PM
Thanks.  What prompted my first response was the graph posted by JAS0501 on Oct 16, 2009.  There he shows stop losses in the 2% range.  And my question was how could he effectively simulate stop losses that low because of the intraday uncertainty that I mentioned above.
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:02:19 PM

My experience with trailing stop losses is different.  I trade using Fidelity's system.  Typically I use their Active Trader Pro.  With Fidelity, I can establish a trailing stop loss at a particular percentage off the purchase price.  Fidelity adjusts the trailing stop maintaining that percentage within the day if the stock moves higher.  It's a real time adjustment as best as I can tell and effective within the trading day.  I'm not a day trader, but I appreciate that I get the benefit of intraday moves to my advantage.

My backtesting system is another matter and it is based on historical end of day data.  The system allows me to try various exit strategies including trailing stop losses based on percentages (similar to Fidelity).  My backtesting works well for trailing stop loss adjustments when the stock is held for longer periods of time - say greater than 30 days.  But the problem I was trying to define above deals with 'simulating' intraday moves that affect lower trailing stop loss percentages when all you have available is end of day data.  My system currently penalizes results by only taking into account the open or the low being below the last trailing stop loss.  It doesn't take into account the possibility that the stock may have hit a new intraday high and then dropped to the low.  So I tried to average the intraday effect and account for that in the results.

I realize that there may be no solution to this; that the only solution is to be backtesting with intraday data...but that's not possible for extensive testing over long periods of time.

I hope this helps explain further.