Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: sevecords
About
User Name: sevecords
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 29
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Help With Indicator
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 11:14:26 PM
if i understand this correctly, the MACD only would show the relationship between the 2 lines and whether one is above the other. i don't think it would tell you how far above the moving the indicator has gone in the past which is what i am looking for. let's say for instance that the indicator has never been greater than 20% above the moving average, then one could expect a reversal in trend at around 18% above the moving average.
Topic: Help With Indicator
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:38:51 PM
I have created an indicator in Stockfinder that is the difference between 2 moving averages of price (in a separate pane). In this indicator pane i have also put its 50 day moving average. I was trying to figure out how I could also put an overbought oversold oscillator or envelope in this indicator pane based on its deviation from the 50 day moving average. Any ideas?
Topic: Average True Range
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:51:04 PM
This works great. Thank you very much!
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:36:45 PM
Bruce, I am not totally sure if your formula is doing this but the way that I understand it is the routine should first calculate the TrueRange then take the weighted moving average of the TrueRange and multiplies by 2 (the user input value). Then it subtracts it from the simple moving average of the highs(over the period) and adds it to the simple moving average of the lows (over the period).It might be easier if I email you a stock chart from my other program and you can see the difference.In your version, the bands seem to contain all the stock movement and in my other chart, there are times when the price moves above or below the upper and lower bands. It is these movements that I am interested in.How can I email this to you?steve
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2008 7:44:24 PM
Hi Bruce,I am sorry, i didn't see your response. What I was trying to explain that in the formula I gave you, The upper band is upperATR = StdMA(low, period) + wbut the w is NOT the user input value (which you have starting at 2)The w there is actually the ATRBandWidth, the formula for which is:ATRBandWidth = RunMA(TrueRange(high, low, close), period) * 2[or the user input value]the lower band is the same, but minus the ATRBandWidth:lowerATR = StdMA(high, period) - ATRBandWidth
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2008 2:49:09 PM
Bruce,Thank you very much. I think i screwed something up. In the formula the w which I said is equal to 2 in the band calculations:upperATR = StdMA(low, period) + wlowerATR = StdMA(high, period) - w is actually the computed value of the band width: ATRBandWidth = RunMA(TrueRange(high, low, close), period) * widthThis above line is actually multiplied by 2 (or an inputed value) NOT the width as it indicates. The above line should actually be:ATRBandWidth = RunMA(TrueRange(high, low, close), period) * 2 (or a multiplier inputed by the user)I am a little confused as to how to make those changes.
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:05:07 PM
Is there any way to create this visual basic formula for Average True Range Bands in Blocks: w=2. the UpperATR band is computed by adding a computed width to a simple moving average of the High; the LowerATR band subtracts the width from a simple moving avergate of the low. The width is computed by taking a running moving average of the the difference between the highs and lows w = ATRBandWidth(high, low, close, period, width) upperATR = StdMA(low, period) + w lowerATR = StdMA(high, period) - w sub formula - atr band width --------------------------------------- ATRBandWidth = RunMA(TrueRange(high, low, close), period) * width True Range ---------------- Dim tr, yclose, d TrueRange = null If IsNull(high) Or IsNull(low) Then Exit Function tr = high - low If Not IsNull(close) Then yclose = Delay(close, 1) If Not IsNull(yclose) Then d = Abs(high - yclose) If d > tr Then tr = d d = Abs(low - yclose) If d > tr Then tr = d End If End If TrueRange = tr RunMA ----------- Dim r, iflag RunMA = null If (period
Topic: Time-based and Symbol-based Multi-Symbol Comparative Layout
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:43:48 PM
yes, that is the one i downloaded.  which one should i download?  I need to have a candle chart of the relative strength for five years (preferably adjustable) and the ability to toggle between weekly and daily (which would be a 1 yr chart).
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:17:49 PM
maybe i am wrong, but  the problem with adjusting the time on the bottom of the chart is that it doesn't reset the 0 point which is important for a relative strength.  In other words, the chart is still a 7 year chart but only looking at the last 5 years.

also when i right click on the plot and select properties, it is showing that candle is selected and in the properties control there is no item to control plot in this chart.
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:51:38 PM
This is close to what I am looking for, but i can't seem to change it to a candle chart and also can't adjust the time frame.  It looks like it is at 7 years and I would like to see 5.  Also I would like to be able to toggle between a weekly and a daily version (gong back 1 yr).

any thoughts on this?

steve