Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Time-based and Symbol-based Multi-Symbol Comparative Layout Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kostas_gr
Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 2:08:50 PM
Take a look at http://stockcharts.com/charts/performance/
There is there a very useful functionality that I would love to see replicated in Blocks 3--Can a trainer help me create such a layout (details below)?!

The key is to create a comparative chart like the one in TC with the $100 and placeholders for several symbols. All these symbols are plotted with a common $100 start and over time they fluctuate with respect to their relative performance vis a vis this $100 start. The time slider should be able to move back and forth and reset the point in time that we have the $100 start. That is the first step.

The second step of the functionality in the above-noted web site is the ability to click on each of those symbols in the comparative layout and make this symbol the base of the comparison--that is at any point make the curve of that symbol flat and all other lines taking their shape with respect to that. Mathematicallly this is accomplish by each day considering the perfromance of any other symbol as a percentage of the perfromance of the base symbol (% change of any other symbol / % change of the base symbol). And of course you should be able to change the base symbol to any other or remove the base symbol and have all of them be compared each to their own starting price at a given starting point in time. 

Can we do such a layout? I (and many more, I think) would very much appreciate it!
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 4:54:24 PM

Worden Trainer

I have shared an example Chart.

Select Share | Charts.
Type Comparison $100 in the Search line and select Search.
Select the Comparison $100 Chart.
Select Open.

The top Pane is a normal Price Pane.

The middle Pane is a Relative Strength vs $100 Pane that merges on the Date Pointer.

The bottom Pane is a Relative Strength vs Active Symbol Pane that merges on the Date Pointer and uses a $100 Value (or 100% if you would prefer) as the Value for the Active Symbol's Closing Prices.

If you would prefer to have the various Symbols Plotted as Lines, yu can change the Display Style to Line under Properties.

If you want more symbols, copy and paste the DJ-30 Symbol within the same Pane and use QuickEdit to change the Color and Symbol.

I do not know of a way to select the symbol to be used other than to change the Active Symbol in the Watchlist.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
sevecords
Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:51:38 PM
This is close to what I am looking for, but i can't seem to change it to a candle chart and also can't adjust the time frame.  It looks like it is at 7 years and I would like to see 5.  Also I would like to be able to toggle between a weekly and a daily version (gong back 1 yr).

any thoughts on this?

steve
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:59:10 PM

Worden Trainer

sevecords,
You can adjust the amount of time being viewed by using the Scroll and Zoom at the bottom of the Chart.

You can select the desired Time Frame near the upper left hand corner of the Chart.

You can change an individual Plot from OHLC Bar to Candlestick using Properties (right-click on the Plot and select Properties).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
sevecords
Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:17:49 PM
maybe i am wrong, but  the problem with adjusting the time on the bottom of the chart is that it doesn't reset the 0 point which is important for a relative strength.  In other words, the chart is still a 7 year chart but only looking at the last 5 years.

also when i right click on the plot and select properties, it is showing that candle is selected and in the properties control there is no item to control plot in this chart.
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:22:47 PM

Worden Trainer

sevecords,
Are you looking at the Comparison $100 Shared Chart?

The Chart that was Shared in response to kostas_gr's post bases its "0 point" on the location of the Pointer.

All of the Plots in this Shared Chart have OHLC Bar selected as the Display Style under Properties except for the $100 Plots which have Line selected instead.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
sevecords
Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:43:48 PM
yes, that is the one i downloaded.  which one should i download?  I need to have a candle chart of the relative strength for five years (preferably adjustable) and the ability to toggle between weekly and daily (which would be a 1 yr chart).
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:04:36 AM

Worden Trainer

sevecords,
The reason I asked the question is that your observations do not seem applicable to the Comparison $100 Shared Chart.

You have described it as looking at 7 years of data, but it displays closer to 1.5 years of data when first loaded.

You have described the "0 point" as being based on the amount of data displayed when it is in fact based on a Date Pointer.

You have described problems changing the Time Frame when it uses exactly the same method to adjust its Time Frame as a default Chart.

You have described problems adjusting the amount of data displayed when it uses exactly the same method to adjust its Scroll and Zoom as a default Chart.

You have indicated that "candle" is selected for "the plot" (the Chart has 11 visible Plots), when it is not selected for any of the Plots on the Chart (and when this setting is changed to Candlestick, you get Candlestick Plots for everything besides the two $100 Plots).

You have indicated that there is no item to control plot in this Chart when all 11 Plots have the option to adjust the Plot Style available in both QuickEdit and Properties.

I'm not sure what to tell you if you are in fact looking at the Comparison $100 Chart. It seems far more logical to me to conclude that you are looking at another Chart entirely.

In any case, I've Shared a Chart that would seem to be more in line with what you seem to want. If you want to take a look:

Select Share | Charts.
Type Candle Relative Strength in the Search line and select Search.
Select the Candle Relative Strength Chart.
Select Open.

The top Pane is a more traditional Relative Strength based on the Closing Prices of the Relative Strength Comparison Symbol.

The middle Pane uses the Opening Prices of the Relative Strength Comparison Symbol instead. An interesting thing about using the Opening Prices is that the Candles for the flat Relative Strength centerline at 100 extend up on an up day and down on a down day when up and down days are defined based on the Close versus the Open.

The bottom Pane uses the Closing Prices of the Relative Strength Comparison Symbol instead. It is similar to using the Opening Prices in that Range extends in the correct direction from the centerline at 100. It differs in that the position represents something more akin to True Range than a Range calculated entirely from the current trading day.

You can right-click on the white Comparison Symbol Plot to remove the Candles for the Comparison Symbol if desired (this would leave a flat white line to represent the the appropriate value being used for the Comparison Symbol).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles