Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Average True Range Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
sevecords
Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:05:07 PM
Is there any way to create this visual basic formula for Average True Range Bands in Blocks: w=2. the UpperATR band is computed by adding a computed width to a simple moving average of the High; the LowerATR band subtracts the width from a simple moving avergate of the low. The width is computed by taking a running moving average of the the difference between the highs and lows w = ATRBandWidth(high, low, close, period, width) upperATR = StdMA(low, period) + w lowerATR = StdMA(high, period) - w sub formula - atr band width --------------------------------------- ATRBandWidth = RunMA(TrueRange(high, low, close), period) * width True Range ---------------- Dim tr, yclose, d TrueRange = null If IsNull(high) Or IsNull(low) Then Exit Function tr = high - low If Not IsNull(close) Then yclose = Delay(close, 1) If Not IsNull(yclose) Then d = Abs(high - yclose) If d > tr Then tr = d d = Abs(low - yclose) If d > tr Then tr = d End If End If TrueRange = tr RunMA ----------- Dim r, iflag RunMA = null If (period < 1) Or IsNull(value) Then Exit Function If iflag = 0 Then r = StdMA(value,period) Else r = (r * (period - 1) + value) / period End if iflag = Not IsNull(r) RunMA = r
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:17:50 AM

Worden Trainer

RealCode Indicators can currently output only a single Line or Bar. That means you will need to set the HighOrLow setting to High for one Indicator and Low for another Indicator to Plot both Lines when using the following RealCode:

'ATR Band
'# SMAPeriod = UserInput.Integer = 10
'# ATRPeriod = UserInput.Single = 14
'# Width = UserInput.Single = 2
'# HighOrLow = UserInput.String = High
'HighOrLow needs to be either High or Low
Static TR As Single
Static ATR As Single
Static termRatio As Single
Static sumWeight As Single
Static Weight As Single
Static Start As Integer
Static SMA As Single
Static HL(1) As Single
If isFirstBar Then
    ATR = 0
    termRatio = (ATRPeriod-1)/ATRPeriod
    sumWeight = 1
    TR = Price.High - Price.Low
    Start = System.Math.Max(SMAPeriod-1,ATRPeriod*7)
    SMA = 0
Else
    TR = System.Math.Max(Price.High,Price.Last(1)) - _
        System.Math.Min(Price.Low,Price.Last(1))
End If
Weight = 1 / sumWeight
If HighOrLow = "High" Then
    HL(0) = Price.High
    HL(1) = Price.High(SMAPeriod)
    ATR = ATR * (1 - Weight) + Weight * TR
Else If HighOrLow = "Low" Then
    HL(0) = Price.Low
    HL(1) = Price.Low(SMAPeriod)
    ATR = ATR * (1 - Weight) - Weight * TR
Else
    HL(0) = Price.Last
    HL(1) = Price.Last(SMAPeriod)
End If
sumWeight = sumWeight * termRatio + 1
SMA += HL(0) / SMAPeriod
If CurrentIndex >= SMAPeriod Then SMA -= HL(1) / SMAPeriod
If CurrentIndex >= Start Then
    Plot = SMA + ATR * Width
Else
    Plot = Single.NaN
End If

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
sevecords
Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 2:49:09 PM
Bruce,Thank you very much. I think i screwed something up. In the formula the w which I said is equal to 2 in the band calculations:upperATR = StdMA(low, period) + wlowerATR = StdMA(high, period) - w is actually the computed value of the band width: ATRBandWidth = RunMA(TrueRange(high, low, close), period) * widthThis above line is actually multiplied by 2 (or an inputed value) NOT the width as it indicates. The above line should actually be:ATRBandWidth = RunMA(TrueRange(high, low, close), period) * 2 (or a multiplier inputed by the user)I am a little confused as to how to make those changes.
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 3:12:25 PM

Worden Trainer

I must be misunderstanding something because I'm not sure how that is different from the code you provided earlier or the RealCode Indicator I created in an attempt to duplicate that code.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
sevecords
Posted : Monday, September 8, 2008 7:44:24 PM
Hi Bruce,I am sorry, i didn't see your response. What I was trying to explain that in the formula I gave you, The upper band is upperATR = StdMA(low, period) + wbut the w is NOT the user input value (which you have starting at 2)The w there is actually the ATRBandWidth, the formula for which is:ATRBandWidth = RunMA(TrueRange(high, low, close), period) * 2[or the user input value]the lower band is the same, but minus the ATRBandWidth:lowerATR = StdMA(high, period) - ATRBandWidth
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, September 8, 2008 7:56:56 PM

Worden Trainer

If I'm understanding correctly, that's exactly what I did. The Plot is not the Simple Moving Average of the High or Low plus or minus the Width but the Simple Moving Average of the High or Low plus or minus the Width times the Average True Range.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
sevecords
Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:36:45 PM
Bruce, I am not totally sure if your formula is doing this but the way that I understand it is the routine should first calculate the TrueRange then take the weighted moving average of the TrueRange and multiplies by 2 (the user input value). Then it subtracts it from the simple moving average of the highs(over the period) and adds it to the simple moving average of the lows (over the period).It might be easier if I email you a stock chart from my other program and you can see the difference.In your version, the bands seem to contain all the stock movement and in my other chart, there are times when the price moves above or below the upper and lower bands. It is these movements that I am interested in.How can I email this to you?steve
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:51:01 PM

Worden Trainer

OK. I was basing the RealCode in part on your original description, "the UpperATR band is computed by adding a computed width to a simple moving average of the High; the LowerATR band subtracts the width from a simple moving avergate of the low." You corrected this in your Monday, September 08, 2008 7:44:24 PM ET post, but I focused on the the "w is NOT the user input value" portion. If you need to reverse the addition and subtraction, please try the following RealCode instead:

'ATR Band
'# SMAPeriod = UserInput.Integer = 10
'# ATRPeriod = UserInput.Single = 14
'# Width = UserInput.Single = 2
'# HighOrLow = UserInput.String = High
'HighOrLow needs to be either High or Low
Static TR As Single
Static ATR As Single
Static termRatio As Single
Static sumWeight As Single
Static Weight As Single
Static Start As Integer
Static SMA As Single
Static HL(1) As Single
If isFirstBar Then
    ATR = 0
    termRatio = (ATRPeriod-1)/ATRPeriod
    sumWeight = 1
    TR = Price.High - Price.Low
    Start = System.Math.Max(SMAPeriod-1,ATRPeriod*7)
    SMA = 0
Else
    TR = System.Math.Max(Price.High,Price.Last(1)) - _
        System.Math.Min(Price.Low,Price.Last(1))
End If
Weight = 1 / sumWeight
If HighOrLow = "High" Then
    HL(0) = Price.High
    HL(1) = Price.High(SMAPeriod)
    ATR = ATR * (1 - Weight) - Weight * TR
Else If HighOrLow = "Low" Then
    HL(0) = Price.Low
    HL(1) = Price.Low(SMAPeriod)
    ATR = ATR * (1 - Weight) + Weight * TR
Else
    HL(0) = Price.Last
    HL(1) = Price.Last(SMAPeriod)
End If
sumWeight = sumWeight * termRatio + 1
SMA += HL(0) / SMAPeriod
If CurrentIndex >= SMAPeriod Then SMA -= HL(1) / SMAPeriod
If CurrentIndex >= Start Then
    Plot = SMA + ATR * Width
Else
    Plot = Single.NaN
End If

On another note, just looking at a Plot isn't generally going to be enough for me to duplicate it in RealCode, so sending an image probably wouldn't help any.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
sevecords
Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:51:04 PM
This works great. Thank you very much!
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:12:52 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce