Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: Spooky130u
About
User Name: Spooky130u
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 36
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: How do I setup an easy scan to search in NASDAQ, AMEX, and Russell 2k in one scan?
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:57:18 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

The following video explores how to set the default WatchList which is used when an EasyScan is first created. The only way it should have changed is if similar steps were taken within the program at some point in the past.

Setting the Default Watchlist for Scanning & Sorting (1:54)

And the tumor that was in my occipital lobe (cancer #1) strikes again.  I looked for a video like that.  I looked through both  sets of videos (webinar and TC2000 training).  It appears that my brain (occipital lobe) didn't bother to show me that.  Not the first time.......  Thanks for the patience in pointing that out.  I probably looked right at it, but my brain just didn't let me see it.  It's one of those things I've learned to live with since my first cancer, but it can still be extremely annoying.....

Topic: How do I setup an easy scan to search in NASDAQ, AMEX, and Russell 2k in one scan?
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 11:10:12 AM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

Probably the best way to scan multiple system WatchLists is to copy all of the symbols in those WatchLists to a Personal WatchList and then use the Personal WatchList as the List to Scan in the EasyScan.

After seeing the volatility (extreme volatility) in the Russell 2k, which I'd understood to be one of the easier (less volatile) exchanges for new swing/position traders, I don't really see the need to do this.

However, I still have a question:  How did one of my watchlists get setup as the default list to scan, and how do I change it back to US Stocks ?

Thanks

Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 7:41:19 PM

QUOTE (BillÇochrane)

Russell 2000 should be findable when you set up a new scan, or modify an old one:

Wow.  I heard, in a webinar from some source (I think it was one of the ones here) that the Russell 2k stocks were among the easier trades, with less volatility to help you not get stopped out.  I just looked at a few of the Russell 2ks, and picked several stocks from each (random) and looked at their charts.  They're all over the place.  Looks more like an o-scope display for a very rapidl changing audio signal with a very large dynamic range.....  Maybe I won't be scanning these, after all.  YIKES!

Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 7:27:59 PM

QUOTE (BillÇochrane)

Russell 2000 should be findable when you set up a new scan, or modify an old one:

In Edit; List To Scan, type 2000 in search box

That worked...got a bunch of Russell 2000s.  So, does anyone know how to fix the default list to scan in my easy scans?  It somehow got set to one of my watchlists, and I can't seem to find any documentation or option setting, etc., that fixes that (like I said before, I don't even know how it got that way).

Thanks

Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 12:27:52 AM

QUOTE (busterram)

One way to do what u are talking about is just do a search with

1. price < 30 & above 5...... c>30 and c < 30

2. Pick the Exchange you want (Amex, Nasdaq and NYSE) 

3. Pick avg  volume filter like vol > 1 mil or more.... avgv30 > 1000000

That example could help you get started to tweak and arrive at something you like.....

Good luck

That&#39;s basically what I&#39;m doing now (I&#39;m building on that, but that&#39;s the most basic bit).  I was hoping that there was a way to use the three above plus the Russell 2k (which I still can&#39;t find in TC2000 v12.5).

Any idea how I change the default list to search from one of my watchlists back to something like US Stocks?

Thanks

Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2016 4:44:44 PM

QUOTE (Bill&Ccedil;ochrane)

FYI Russell 2000 is Small Cap, while Russell 1000 is larger Cap. Together they mak eup the Russell 3000, which I use in place of US Common Stocks watch List, just as you indicate, to avoid penny stocks etc.

There is no way to scan across multiple watch lists. You could copy all the stocks into one Personal watch list, and scan that. Given that you are looking at "major" exchanges, or larger cap stocks, this list should be fairly stable.

The Russell 1000 might be a fairly good approximation of what you want, larger cap stocks across multiple exchanges.

Actually, given my very tiny trading account, I&#39;m basically limited to stocks under $30 (and above $1, no OTC penny stocks), so the Russell 2k sounds right.  But where is it listed?

It looks like I will be doing multiple copies of each scan, then, because I do want AMEX and NASDAQ (and I have smallcap checked, too--not sure what that one does in that exchange list).

Also, just as a side question, one of my watchlists became the default list to scan...how do I change that?  I&#39;m not sure how it got that way in the first place......

Thanks

Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2016 3:35:01 PM

I&#39;m trying to simplify my scans, as well as limiting them to the more "tame" markets (or so I&#39;m told).  I want to scan, in a sinle Easy Scan, stocks listed under AMEX, NASDAQ, and Russell 2k (ok, just looked, it&#39;s 1k, not 2k)?  NASDAQ and AMEX are covered in US Stocks, but the Russell 1k is listed separately, and is not in the US stocks list of  exchanges.

Is there a way to avoid havaing to duplicate every Easy Scan to cover all three (and without having to edit it to change the scan&#39;s parameters---List To Scan and Exchange---every time)?

Thanks

Topic: Candlestick mystery ... need pointer to docs
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:03:22 PM

Thanks.  I changed the color settings to all of my  charts and the default to Open vs Close.

Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 4:52:29 PM

Ok, I can see right away that the image didn&#39;t show up.  So, I&#39;ll try something else.  I&#39;ll try cut/paste instead.

Looks like that worked.  :-)

Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 4:49:13 PM

Ok, let me start by saying that tech support already told me that this is not a bug, it&#39;s how candlesticks work.

Here&#39;s what I&#39;ve seen quite a bit in TC2000 v. 12.5.5588......  Solid green bullish candles, where the current (and eventually the closing) price is on the BOTTOM of the candle.  I&#39;ve only seen references to a bullish candle&#39;s closing price being on the top, so this just doesn&#39;t seem right.  Tech support says it&#39;s got something (they didn&#39;t explain what) to do with whether the coloring is based on the current price or current price vs. opening price (I thought that was hollow vs solid...not where the closing price is on a bullish candle).

I&#39;ve included an image (I hope) from my home directory on my Mac.  If it isn&#39;t there, or isn&#39;t readable, then I obviously got something wrong in uploading it from my hard drive, as opposed to a link on a site somewhere else (didn&#39;t find that option).  Oh well.  Let me know and I&#39;ll try again if I need to.

Can someone please point me to a reference explaining when this is correct, as tech support says it is?  Like I said, all references I&#39;ve found on candlesticks say that on a bullish candle, the closing price is on the top.  I&#39;ve yet find one that says otherwise.

Thanks,

--jim (I really hate this keyboard...can&#39;t keep up with me and skips characters)