Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Candlestick mystery ... need pointer to docs Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Spooky130u
Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 4:49:13 PM

Ok, let me start by saying that tech support already told me that this is not a bug, it's how candlesticks work.

Here's what I've seen quite a bit in TC2000 v. 12.5.5588......  Solid green bullish candles, where the current (and eventually the closing) price is on the BOTTOM of the candle.  I've only seen references to a bullish candle's closing price being on the top, so this just doesn't seem right.  Tech support says it's got something (they didn't explain what) to do with whether the coloring is based on the current price or current price vs. opening price (I thought that was hollow vs solid...not where the closing price is on a bullish candle).

I've included an image (I hope) from my home directory on my Mac.  If it isn't there, or isn't readable, then I obviously got something wrong in uploading it from my hard drive, as opposed to a link on a site somewhere else (didn't find that option).  Oh well.  Let me know and I'll try again if I need to.

Can someone please point me to a reference explaining when this is correct, as tech support says it is?  Like I said, all references I've found on candlesticks say that on a bullish candle, the closing price is on the top.  I've yet find one that says otherwise.

Thanks,

--jim (I really hate this keyboard...can't keep up with me and skips characters)

Spooky130u
Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 4:52:29 PM

Ok, I can see right away that the image didn't show up.  So, I'll try something else.  I'll try cut/paste instead.

Looks like that worked.  :-)

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 10:58:02 AM

Worden Trainer

Here is a link to the help file article on how candlestick charts work in TC2000.

Candlestick Charts

TC2000 has settings for adjusting both the color and the fill of the candlesticks based on either Net Change or Open vs Close.

Edit Price History window

You probably want Color Based On set to Open vs Close if you want the color based on where the closing price is in the candle relative to the open. If you set it to Net Change, the color will be based on where price is relative to the close of the previous candle.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Spooky130u
Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:03:22 PM

Thanks.  I changed the color settings to all of my  charts and the default to Open vs Close.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:30:03 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles