Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: stock-chartist
About
User Name: stock-chartist
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 28
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: TC 2011
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 11:28:30 AM

I gave the cloud-based version of TC2000 (TC 2011) a try.  Have following comment and question … so far.

1. On importing trendlines, the default should be no extensions in front and back rather than defaulting with extensions.  I found that all my charts had myriad lines resulting from old trendlines.  I would have to go to each chart, to each trendline and edit the settings on each.  To edit some of the old trendlines, I’d have to go to back in history on a nine-day bar and find perform the edit.  The PC version has a top level control that turned extensions on or off at a global level.  Until that change is implemented, I can’t use the cloud-version and will stick with the PC version.
  2. What happens when you’re offline, like in an airplane or anywhere that an Internet connection is unavailable?  What is available on my PC without an Internet connection?

Examples of features that I’ve gotten accustomed to and use all the time but aren’t yet in the cloud-version and am not sure they ever will be include:

1. Three graphs simultaneously
  2. I’ve converted some of the indicators (esp, moving averages) to show consistently on different bar sizes (100-dma on a daily chart = 25-dma on a 4-day chart = approx. 11-dma on a 9-day chart, etc.); that wasn’t imported
  3. Multiple list sort tabs, multiple sort variables on each tab and flagging stocks in list for easy copy to new lists.
I have to confess based on my brief exposure to the cloud-version, I haven’t yet found a compelling reason to switch.  I have two monitors running during the day (Fidelity Active Trader Pro and Telechart 2000); I use one for current data and the other for historical.

I’ll wait to see how many enhancements are installed.

Topic: Envelope Channels
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:19:16 PM
Bruce, thanks for your response.  In reading the information page on Envelope Channels they say, whether it's true or not, that the width measure is equivalent to standard deviation.  Therefore, a 30 width is 3 std. dev and a 40 width is 4 std dev (according to the Online Help Files.

But if that's true, then a width of 30 (or 51.2 and 75.6, for example) around a 200 day moving average with a value of, say, 63.4 on September 16, 2009 shouldn't be any different on December 3 if the moving average on that future day happens to be 71.3 and the band values on Dec. 3 were, for example, 60.0 and 82.6.

But on the chart, the value does change by some amount and it's unclear why or how much.
Topic: Envelope Channels
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:04:15 PM

I understand the definition of Envelope Channel in the online help however I have a question.  Let me pose the situation:

• I have a 2000-dma, simple average
  • My template is: daily bars, logarithmic scale, zoom to 3
  • Envelope channel on the 200-dma settings are: period 1, width 30, average type simple

The question is: When changing the zoom (moving out or in) or when I move the chart back to a past chart (e.g., start the chart on January 1, 2000) and scroll forward using the "]" key, the position of the envelop channel changes.  Why?

In fact, the moving averages doesn't change, it is fixed by the prior 200 days' closing prices.  But the envelope does change depending on how many days are displayed in the chart template. 

I would have expected the envelope to also remain fixed and stationary since it supposedly is calculated on a fixed variable, the 200-dma.

Topic: Integrity of Watchlists
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 10:25:12 AM
Is there any way of maintaining the integrety of the membership of individual stocks in personal watchlists in Telechart?  I find that  stocks either are added or deleted from personal watchlists at random times for inexplicable reasons.  For example, I may have added Stock A to List 12 and 5 weeks later, Stock A winds up in List 3.  I have close to 260 watchlists (for IPO years, ETF categories, IBD Industry Groups, various personal portfolios, etc.) an it's very disconcerting when I continually need to go to the Active Stock command and clean up the watchlist Membership boxes.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a flaw in the software?
Topic: ACH - Aluminum Corp of China
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:58:11 PM
There was a multi-day halt on the trading of this stock; trading resumed today, December 13. However, the chart for the stock is terribly distorted because the low for the halted days is shown as 0. Can anything be done to correct this so a multi-bar chart (e.g., 9 mos., daily, zoom=3) doesn't look crazy?
Topic: Homebuilders
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 6:22:21 AM
Check out my review of the current situation with homebuilding stocks at (URL removed by Moderator)
Topic: CAT, TEX, JOYG and more
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:44:08 PM
For a technical view of several Machinery Equipment stocks see "To Jim Cramer, "I told you so": CAT, TEX, JOYG and more" at (URL removed by Moderator)
Topic: Thinking of selling the builders short?
Posted: Tuesday, March 7, 2006 5:18:56 PM
Check out the technical analysis and charts at (URL Removed By Moderator)
Topic: JDSU and the rest of the Optical Fiber Industry Group
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2006 3:45:25 PM
For charts and a bullish analysis of JDSU and others in the sector, go to (URL removed by Moderator).
Topic: Macromedia (MACR)
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2005 8:49:28 PM
Is anyone else missing Macromedia from their stock chart files?