Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Computer specs Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 12:44:53 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I am about to replace my computer. What is the number of processor physical cores TC2000v17 can take advantage of (4, 6, more)
Also would like to know if TC2000 will use Intel logical cores Hyper-Threading Technology ?

Thank you

Michael

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 12:53:09 PM

Worden Trainer

I really don't know if TC2000 v17 is single threaded or multithreaded (and the best person to answer the question is out for the week).

That said, it probably isn't going to make all that much of a difference. Almost all of the work is done on our servers. There is almost no difference in the speed of TC2000 v17 between the $50 Windows tablet and the fairly high end gaming desktop I usually use (or any of the other computers in the house for that matter).

What you would generally want for TC2000 v17 is good resolution and possibly multiple monitors for screen real estate. This is why I personally prefer running it on a desktop to a laptop or tablet. It also seems to work better with an actual keyboard and pointing device of some sort than just using a screen for input like with a tablet.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:00:55 PM

My two cents...

Bruce knows more about this than I do, but since you're buying a new computer, I'd wait a week if possible to avoid buyer's remorse. Might as well maximize your new hardware/software setup.

That said, since TC2000 is up in the cloud, I agree with Bruce (I'm sure he's relieved ;) that the local machine isn't as much of a factor as it used to be.

My guess (and Bruce will correct me if I'm wrong) is that the internet connection quality is probably more important.

mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:06:34 PM

Thank you Bruce for your quick answer, I appreciate.
I understand what your saying but still would like to hear from your collegue next week if that is possible.
How do we get in touch ?

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:55:53 PM

Worden Trainer

You can ask about it again next week and the question will be passed on to the appropriate person (this will probably be way better than passing it along now).

That said, it is most likely a mistake to make a decision about the processor to use based on if TC2000 v17 is single threaded or multithreaded and how many processors TC2000 can actually use. The computer used makes almost no difference in the speed of TC2000 v17 as almost all of the work is done on our servers.

While I really can't give advice outside the realm of TC2000, you should probably be making the decision based on how the computer would work with any other programs you are going to use or would plan on using during the lifetime of the computer.

Are you going to running games? These are frequently quite dependent on single threaded performance even when multithreaded (although this is changing). Are you going to be running something like CPU depended image processing where multithreaded performance is king? Are you going to have a bunch of programs running simultaneously or in the background?

Read some articles about what runs best with different types of processors and see if you can find out what works best with the specific programs you will want to run. I know you are currently trying to that with TC2000 v17, but it really doesn't make a difference with TC2000 v17.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:23:31 PM

Thank you again Bruce,

I will take your latest reply under consideration and ask again next week to complete the overall picture.

I am currently using version 12.6 but sometimes using version 17 to get a feel for the differences.
So far so good, version 17 seems more responsive than version 12.6 which sometimes lags a little bit. (I am displaying many simultaneous graphs using numerous customs indicators requiring lengthy calculations).

Is there really a difference in my computer performance between the two versions or I am imagining things ?

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:35:30 PM

Worden Trainer

TC2000 v17 should be slightly optimized compared to TC2000 v12.6.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:58:51 PM

Thank you !

mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:01:20 PM

Bruce,

As discussed last week I am posting my question again:

I am about to replace my computer. What is the number of processor physical cores TC2000v17 can take advantage of (4, 6, more)
Also would like to know if TC2000 will use Intel logical cores Hyper-Threading Technology ?

Thank you

Michael

StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:04:29 PM

Administration

Sorry, but we were misinformed about the return date. The person we need to ask will be back in the office next week.

mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:09:08 PM

ok, will get back to you next week

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:06:30 AM

Worden Trainer

Calculations use whatever threads are available depending on how many sockets are pulling data. So TC2000 can take advantage of multiple cores (including logical cores).

That said, the user interface painting is the single most resource intensive part of TC2000 and is single threaded. So while the program can and will use multiple cores, the client side part of the program using the most resources is only going to use one of those cores.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:54:59 AM

Bruce,

Could you clarify your second paragraph for me?

a) are you saying that there is no advantage in having more than a one-core processor (if it were to exist) ?

and

b) that the graphic cards will be running mostly idle waiting for the processor one-core to feed them with data ?

I am currently using a four-graphic card computer driving eight monitors.

Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:06:32 AM

Worden Trainer

I am not saying there is no advantage, I am repeating my assertion that the is little or almost no advantage to having multiple cores or processors when running TC2000.

Your multiple graphics cards will be mostly idle when running TC2000 for sure. This has little to with the user interpface painting being single threaded and everything to do with TC2000 not being graphics intensive (and not in 3D) in the first place. You should get maxed out frame rates on all eight of your monitors when running just TC2000.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:34:51 AM

Bruce,

Would you please explain the meaning of user interface painting and the impact on the selection of computer hardware.

My setup is displaying many simultaneous graphs using numerous customs indicators requiring lengthy calculations. When I configured those indicators, TC2000 notified that the calculation speed would be Very Slow. Are those calculations done on my computer or on your server?  If done on my computer won't I benefit from a faster computer ?

Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:46:03 AM

Worden Trainer

For the most part the calcaltions are all done server side. All WatchLists Columns and EasyScans are entirely server side for example. Some chart calculations (for example Custom PCF Indicators) are done client side.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
mike_valkyrie1
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:05:25 PM

Bruce,

Thank you for the clarifications on the Custom PCF Indicators calculations. That is where a more powerful processor should help.

Would you please explain the meaning of user interface painting ? (Sorry for being so persistent)

Regards

StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:07:34 PM

Administration

The drawing/painting of what your eyes see on the screen.