Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Need 3 things for coding scans Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
melnick88
Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 12:39:53 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the TC2000 software and I was wondering if I could get help on 2 things.

•#1  I have a scan that shows inverted hammers intraday.  Here is the formula

H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25

I wanted to know if I could add something to the scan code that would show inverted hammers that made day highs. This would mean that the "top of the candlestick tail made day highs"

&bull;#2 I have a scan that shows hammer candlesticks intraday.  Here is the formula

(((H-L)>3*(O-C)AND((C-L)/(.001+H-L)>0.6)AND((O-L)/(.001+H-L)>0.6)))

I wanted to know if I could add something to the scan code that would show these hammer bars making day lows. This would mean that the "bottom of the candlestick tail made day lows"

&bull;#3 Is there any scans out there for Bull and Bear Flags? (Bull Pennant and Bear Pennants)

I appreciate all the help anyone can give.  Thank you!

Best Regards,

Mark

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 1:05:34 PM

Worden Trainer

If you mean the high of the intraday bar is also the high of the trading day, there really isn't an automated method of testing for this. There is no syntax in the Personal Criteria Formula Language which would allow you to check the time of day or reference the daily high in an intraday PCF.

You could create a formula if you know how many bars you are into the trading day. You would need a different formula for every new bar of the trading day however. So for example, if you were 10 bars into the trading day, your first Condition Formula would look something like the following.

H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH10

You may wish to review the following for information on pattern recognition in TC2000 (focusing on topics mentioning flags, wedges and pennants).

Falling wedge
Cup with a handle formation
PCF for cup with a handle
Scanning for Chart Patterns
Scanning for Stocks Printing a Double or Triple Bottom
PCFs for pennants and flags
PCF's for Triangles
Does TeleChart support Elliott Wave indicators?
Double top/bottom trend
Finding Double Tops and Double Bottoms
CUP AND HANDLE AGAIN
Finding Continuation Triangles And Wedges With Telechart
Cup & Handle PCF
Double tops and bottoms
Flag wedge and pennant pcf
05/01/2012 Webinar: Trading the Flag and Pennant Patterns
Head and shoulders
TC 2000 Bull flags, Bear Flags
PCF for rounded bottom trading

That said, I personally do not think complex pattern recognition is practical in TC2000 using formulas and Scans.

They are at the very least beyond my abilities to help you create without a specific unambiguous objective definition of what you are attempting to identify. It can't be an I know it when I see it type of definition or be based entirely on an image.

This is true of pattern recognition in general with the exception of fixed size candlestick patterns, which are fairly straightforward as long as the pattern is well defined. The first topic referenced in the post has formulas for candlestick patterns.

The following topic has has Condition Formulas to identify candlestick patterns in TC2000.

Boolean PCFs for Candlestick Patterns

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
melnick88
Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 1:40:34 PM

Thank you Bruce!

melnick88
Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 2:41:19 PM

Bruce lets say I copied these Formulas into 5 seperate scans and set them on the 5 minute chart

H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH1

H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH2

H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH3

H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH4

H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH5 

Would the first scan only work i.e. on the first 5 mins, and the second one on the next 5 mins, etc?

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 2:49:51 PM

Worden Trainer

Exactly.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
melnick88
Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2015 3:12:24 PM

Bruce,

I have setup the scans:  18 of them for now, to represent the 9:30am-11:00am trading day on the 5 minute chart.

1)  I can't stream more than 5 things so I'm assuming I will have to manually scan them?  Can I set an infinite amount to refresh every "X amount of seconds/minutes?"

2) In my example in the post above, am I to assume that the scan will only work for each 5 minute bar?

i.e.

9:30am - 9:35am   H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH1

9:35am - 9:40am   H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH2

9:40am- 9:45am    H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH3

9:45am - 9:50am    H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH4

9:50am - 9:55am    H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25 AND H = MAXH5

Thanks in advance Bruce,

Best Regards,

Mark

melnick88
Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2015 3:14:28 PM

Also for the "hammer Bars" I'd like to set on the chart can I use the following i.e.

(((H-L)>3*(O-C)AND((C-L)/(.001+H-L)>0.6)AND((O-L)/(.001+H-L)>0.6))) AND  H= MAXH1

(((H-L)>3*(O-C)AND((C-L)/(.001+H-L)>0.6)AND((O-L)/(.001+H-L)>0.6))) AND H= MAXH2

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 10:51:12 AM

Worden Trainer

You can switch between which EasyScans have the Streaming tab selected. You would probably only want to be streaming the EasyScans which are relatively close to being current at the time.

Each EasyScan is only going to be correct during the appropriate bar of each trading day, but the EasyScans can and will return results even when you are not at the correct bar of the tradaing day. H = MAXH5 is only checking for the high of the current bar to be the highest in the most recent 5 bars, it doesn't care if 2 bars, 5 bars of 30 bars have already passed during the trading day when it is calculated however.

You can plot the Condition Formulas using Custom PCF % True Indicators, but there is no way to make it so the H = MAXH1 formula is going to only plot spikes on the first bar of the trading day and the H = MAXH2 formula is going to only plot spikes on the second bar of the trading day.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
melnick88
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:41:31 AM

Bruce,

I couldn't get those other scans discussed above to work correctly.

However Id like to have a watchlist of stocks I choose that can show me when theyre "bullish under my parameters" and "bearish under my parameters"

This will be my bearish scan

H - L > 3 * (O - C) AND H - C > .6 * (H - L) AND H - O > .6 * (H - L) and STOC12.3 <= 25

This will be my bullish scan

(((H-L)>3*(O-C)AND((C-L)/(.001+H-L)>0.6)AND((O-L)/(.001+H-L)>0.6)))

I have a watchlist of stocks that change every day.  How would I go about having the above formulae apply only to the watchlist of stocks I enter every morning?

I have gotten to the point where I created a watchlist and I added in the parameters.  How do I make this stream?  It hasnt been working...Id like those little "green checks to come in intraday"

I added a screenshot:  http://imgur.com/hVXlyIl

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Mark

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 11:05:49 AM

Worden Trainer

When you say the scans won't work properly, what happens specifically?

Right-click on the name of the WatchList Column at the top of the WatchList and select Edit. Make sure the TimeFrame is set properly and set the Refresh Rate to as short of a period of time as it will let you.

You should be able to just click on the name of the WatchList at the top of the WatchList to change it each day.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles