Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Best Indicator for TRUE buying pressure Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tonyfromjersey
Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:46:44 PM

Newbie user here.  You have almost too many indicators.  That's great.  However, I'm a believer in true buying pressure preceeding price.  I'm sorting through a select group of ETFs, and then breaking out the individual stocks in those ETFs looking for the high flyers in a ETF that's moving.   After 9 days, I'd like to know where each stock is at with an indicator such as OBV...But, I'm not sure I can do that in the system.  First, a question; if a stock has an up day on average volume, but then has a massive selloff with high volume in the last 10 minutes, yet the stock closes barely above the open, is all that volume assigned to a big up day OBV?  I guess what I'm looking for is the NET On Balance Volume; or another, better indicator that says where the volume really is going and if sales are going of nearer the bid than the ask.  Whose more willing, the sellers or the buyers?

Can you recommend a setup for me to use.  I've been playing with this for a few days and haven't really found anything that fits my personal criteria the a surge (net tick by tick) in volume preceeds most up or down moves.  Or maybe I'm just not looking at a certain indicator correctly.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, June 13, 2014 8:16:30 AM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (tonyfromjersey)
First, a question; if a stock has an up day on average volume, but then has a massive selloff with high volume in the last 10 minutes, yet the stock closes barely above the open, is all that volume assigned to a big up day OBV?  I guess what I'm looking for is the NET On Balance Volume; or another, better indicator that says where the volume really is going and if sales are going of nearer the bid than the ask.  Whose more willing, the sellers or the buyers?

On Balance Volume is based on the net change between one closing price and the next and not on the difference between the open and the close.

An Indicator Formula for the net change in OBV could be written as:

SGN(C - C1) * V

This is basically volume when price is above the previous close, negative volume when price is below the previous close and zero when either the net change or volume is zero.

QUOTE (tonyfromjersey)
Can you recommend a setup for me to use.  I've been playing with this for a few days and haven't really found anything that fits my personal criteria the a surge (net tick by tick) in volume preceeds most up or down moves.  Or maybe I'm just not looking at a certain indicator correctly.

The trainers can't give setting, interpretation or investment advice. I will move this topic to the Stock and Market Talk forum so other traders will be more likely to see it and comment.

Basic Info on BOP, TSV and MoneyStream

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles