Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

All Time Highs Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
drunnels
Posted : Friday, July 27, 2012 8:57:58 AM

I'm scanning for All Time Highs.  What I find with C >=MAXC5100 (a 20-yr high) is that stocks that IPO'd within the last 20 years get the error "Not enough data to calculate".  To cope, I have two more scans that test "All Time Highs" for the last 10 yrs and 5 yrs.  It's not a perfect solution.  Is there some way I can get what I want without resorting to multiple scans?  Thanks.

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, July 27, 2012 9:08:19 AM

Worden Trainer

I do not know of a way to write a Personal Criteria Formula for an "all time high". That said, you may wish to try the following:

Watch this short video: Sort by Visual Value to find new highs and lows in price and indicators

Once its over, open TeleChart, make your charts quarterly and zoom all the way out (zoom 1).

Do a Visual Value sort of Price.

This will bring stocks at or near their all-time high to the top.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
drunnels
Posted : Friday, July 27, 2012 3:53:50 PM

Watched the video.  Very nice.  Thanks Bruce.

drunnels
Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:21:47 PM

Well now that I've tried it, it's not any better.  You have to sort by quarters, visually eliminate, sort by months, visually eliminate, weeks, days, etc.  It finds the ones my scans missed but at the expense of a lot more work.  I'm going to fiddle with what you gave me (it's still valuable) and see if I can incorporate it into my scans.  It really pays to test your .pcf's, despite being a retired programmer, they don't always do what you'd expect.

Thanks.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 9:12:22 AM

Worden Trainer

The technique is pretty much only going to get you close. A two pass solution should work fairly well however.

Start with a Quarterly sort zoomed all the way out to get your candidates and then do a Daily Sort at Zoom 6. Since Zoom 6 is 66 bars and a  quarter is 63 bars it should get you pretty close relatively quickly.

You may want to use your Condition Formula for most symbols and only use the sort for symbols which could not return true. Anything that doesn't return true for:

C5099 = C5099

Would be a good candidate on which to use the sort technique.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles