Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: drunnels
About
User Name: drunnels
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 34
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: A simple profitable method for the newbie, or not so newbie
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 5:04:20 PM

Oh, were you waiting for someone to write the PCF FOR you?

kakakakakakakkka

Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 4:58:31 PM

Well I checked back, but see you didn't, so nevermind.

Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 5:55:05 PM

QUOTE (pdunn)

All,

Which PCF formula seems to work best to flag a strong Guppy pattern,either long or short?

Preston

If you're looking for the reversal, then when the 3 ema > 30ema.

If you want to see establishment of the reversal, then when the 15ema > 30ema.

Or something in between if you want to time it better.

When I invest longer term, I sometimes like to see the 8 > 20 weekly moving averages.  You could use something like that in an easyscan and then manually inspect the charts with a Guppy template to see what suits you.

Is this what you had in mind?  Or did I miss your intention?

Topic: Software/trading tools to test ACD or Turtle Soup
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:14:33 PM

I use stockcharts.com as one of my charting tools.  I don't know if the free version includes the pivots, but the top subscription that I have includes it and draws them for you on the chart, almost any timeframe.  But they only draw pivot, R1, R2, S1, S2.  However if you were to look at a 5-min chart for 3 days say, the pivots are drawn for each day. They do not, to my knowledge, have charts for futures, and in the faster timeframes (1,5,15,etc) they only go back 20 days.  Some of the longer intraday timeframes I believe go back a bit further.

My experience in trading the leveraged index ETFs is that the 15-min Open Range is more reliable than the 5.  I usually switch back and forth between 5 and 15 until 10:00 or 10:30, while I have a 1-min chart working in Telechart.  My observation is that while there are certainly good trades that occur in between pivot points, almost all the big moves start at a support level.

I don't consider the ACD method to be a system, but a tool, so I also like to fine tune the pivot movements with Bollinger Bands. For my markets, I set them at 2.5 stddev. I find the total market NH/NL index available at stockcharts.com to be invaluable.  $USHL and $USHL5.  And I also like to analyze some quant methods in conjunction with BB and ACD.

Pay particular attention to what Fisher calls the rubber band trade.  I see it quite often, but I call it BORR - a bottom OR reversal.  It sometimes occurs when there is no breakout, but other times indicates a failed A down, especially if it occurs at a pivot point or at the bottom BB, or as a nice long white hammer.

Topic: Confusing .pcf All Time High
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 10:33:09 AM

And another thing.  I hope everyone here appreciates how quickly you guys snap into action.

Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 10:31:27 AM

Thanks Bruce.  Yeah, as soon as I noticed this, I did an immediate update for 250 days and it was still wrong.

I'm going to just put this off as a head scratcher, but keep an eye out if it happens again.  If it does, I'll report it.  Too bad I didn't notice it Friday night instead of just before this morning's open.  It's become a moot point now I guess.  Thanks.

Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 9:19:31 AM

yeah, I updated data since Aug1

Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 9:17:57 AM

I'm using the following .pcf in a scan I do for 20 year highs.

C>=MAXC5100

In the easyscan I get 2 hits -- TRP and KTF --  today (Aug3), but there are higher highs for both stocks on Aug1.  When I test the .pcf, it works properly, i.e. both stocks return false for today.  The only other criteria in the scan is volume.

What stupid thing am I missing here?   Thanks!

Topic: All Time Highs
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:21:47 PM

Well now that I've tried it, it's not any better.  You have to sort by quarters, visually eliminate, sort by months, visually eliminate, weeks, days, etc.  It finds the ones my scans missed but at the expense of a lot more work.  I'm going to fiddle with what you gave me (it's still valuable) and see if I can incorporate it into my scans.  It really pays to test your .pcf's, despite being a retired programmer, they don't always do what you'd expect.

Thanks.

Topic: All Time Highs
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 3:53:50 PM

Watched the video.  Very nice.  Thanks Bruce.