Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Please help Moving averages Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
daraj123
Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:31:47 PM

Hi hope someone could help

Each time i do a scan for a moving average cross over, it always seems to be late i.e the move has already happened

Is there a formula where i could scan for the moving average to be crossing over on the day where price is either moving up or down as well

i.e 20 x 50 ma bullish

20 x 50 ma bearish

how could i add this as a criteria?

Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 7:41:34 AM

Worden Trainer

If the Moving Average crossovers seem to be happening on different days than the formula would indicate, you may want to take a look at the Things to check if your moving averages don't "seem right" or "seem to match" topic to see if you can figure out why.

A Condition Formula for a 20-Period Simple Moving Average crossing up through a 50-Period Simple Moving Average on a bar where there is also a positive net change in price could be written as:

AVGC20 > AVGC50 AND AVGC20.1 <= AVGC50.1 AND C > C1

A Condition Formula for a 20-Period Simple Moving Average crossing down through a 50-Period Simple Moving Average on a bar where there is also a negative net change in price could be written as:

AVGC20 < AVGC50 AND AVGC20.1 >= AVGC50.1 AND C < C1

PCF Formula Descriptions
Handy PCF example formulas to help you learn the syntax of PCFs!

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
daraj123
Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 8:56:04 AM

Thank you for your promp reply

One last question

How do i scan for price crossing above the 50 MA?  either to the upside or to the downside?

Is this possible

and is there a way in telechart for users to find which sectors/industries are rotating in or out of favour in terms of longs or shorts?

I know telechart is primary a technitrader soft package, but do you cover anything here like fundementals in terms of looking for which companies have year on year good sales etc etc

Many thanks for your time

daraj123
Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 8:59:22 AM

I forgot to add in there

Is there a pcf for finding the following or how could i add the following into TC

Price below 50,200,500 MA

Price Above 50,200,500 MA

Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 10:31:48 AM

Worden Trainer

A Condition Formula for Price crossing up through the 50-Period Simple Moving Average could be written as:

C > AVGC50 AND C1 <= AVGC50.1

A Condition Formula for Price crossing down through the 50-Period Simple Moving Average could be written as:

C < AVGC50 AND C1 >= AVGC50.1

A Condition Formula for Price being below the 50, 200 and 500-Period Simple Moving Averages could be written as:

C < AVGC50 AND C < AVGC200 AND C < AVGC500

A Condition Formula for Price being above the 50, 200 and 500-Period Simple Moving Averages could be written as:

C > AVGC50 AND C > AVGC200 AND C > AVGC500

The Definitions of all built in scanning and sorting criteria topic contains a list of the fundamental system criteria which are available in TC2000. You can use them as sorts or as EasyScan Conditions.

Using EasyScan to find stocks that meet your own criteria
Customize the Information Displayed in the WatchList

You may want to review the Uncover the stocks driving the strongest industry groups and Identify sectors gaining momentum over the past few months topics for information on industry analysis.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles