Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

buy mvis? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
dalej1
Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2005 12:02:37 PM
This came up yesterday. I tend to shy away from low-priced stocks, but this pattern looks great to me. Broke out above $6 and looks like a fairly easy run to $8. Any comments?
fpetry
Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2005 1:49:25 PM
daleji, couple things I don't like about the chart. First, I do like that it broke out of three month resistance and is trading above both 50 and 200 MAs. What I personally don't like is the huge move it's made this month...the stock trades thin and scares me into thinking that sellers may lock in profits take it down fast. I would like it better if it stabilized here and built a longer base to maybe launch from in future. But what really popped out at me is the longer term downward trendline that it's bumping up against right now. Go to a daily chart at zoom 2 and draw a line starting with the March 04 high and connect to today's high. There are some traders who don't put much stock in trendlines as such, and of course one needs to consider their time frame for holding a position and what their target is. If MVIS does keep going and breaks the trend line I reference, then I guess 8 would be a logical target at Dec. highs. Just an opinion from an average trader who always loves to soapbox. good luck.
dalej1
Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2005 4:27:56 PM
Great obsevation about the downtrend line. However, it broke through it on increasing volume today. A good sign!
TomG18
Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2005 5:44:09 PM
Good comments by fpetry. I'd add: Downtrend (closing prices) & 50SMA pierced on 5/3/05 with respectable volume. Hasn't blinked since. I agree its a buy - hard 5% stop, don't trail it due to volatility. Big up may be result of heavy short interest (21+). If all short interest hasn't been cleared by now, may give a boost here. Some congestion ahead between 6.61 and 6.85, once clear open waters to $8. Although low priced stock, AVGV50 is not skimpy. It's certainly worth some play.